First trail wheelset advice

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I have bladed spokes in my main wheels. There's a little bit of noise from the cross points in the rear under really high torque in the lowest gear, but otherwise they're silent. Performance wise I cant pick any difference from DT Comps, but they look heaps cooler.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The front isn't too bad, it only twangs occasionally but the rear is like having spokey dokeys on a hard climb.
I sent them back to Astro to find a solution and he used some small bits of rubber in between the spokes (tension was fine) but they've all fallen out again. I'm considering using some DR25 heatshrink as a more permanent solution, or just getting proper spokes.
Thank fuck for that. I thought my fancy pants custom XC wheels were coming undone in the real hills the other week.

Maybe some cable ties on the cross overs? If it's good enough for Toby Price.......

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A clear PVC sleeve would also work i reckon or another plastic which can be heated to from around the spoke.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Oh look, here's a wheel thread I started, let's pretend I didn't ask anything in the Quick Questions thread...

Hand built DT Swiss XM481 laced to DT350 Hubs and using DT Comp spokes. $1,040 (+ $40 delivery from Sydney) with tape and valves.

I'm thinking of buying the rear wheel first and then the front as more funds become available. That way I can go for the uprated engagement ratchet. Alternatively I can spend another $120 and get a DT240 hub (assuming they make an HD version).

HamboCairns

Will be 36 or 54t. Quoted price is pretty good, and a wheel set that will last a lifetime and always have spares available.

If you do it, keep your current wheels in the shed so you can take the DTs with you when you buy a new bike in two years.
Yeah definitely keeping them, if I get another bike it will probably be a steel hardtail (Merino, Ragley etc)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Oh look, here's a wheel thread I started, let's pretend I didn't ask anything in the Quick Questions thread...

Hand built DT Swiss XM481 laced to DT350 Hubs and using DT Comp spokes. $1,040 (+ $40 delivery from Sydney) with tape and valves.

I'm thinking of buying the rear wheel first and then the front as more funds become available. That way I can go for the uprated engagement ratchet. Alternatively I can spend another $120 and get a DT240 hub (assuming they make an HD version).
You’re not light so definitely worth considering an EX511 for the rear, at least. If the 240 comes with the 36T standard then, for and extra 120 bucks, you may as well go for that instead of buying a ratchet upgrade.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

I am building a set for one of my boys, weight of about 50kg but they drop out of the sky from great heights and smash shit I never thought possible.

I bought him a M502 in an emergency so he wants to stay with that set, so ordered another M502 and correct Competition spokes for his Bonty hubs.

Here's the price spec for EX511, Comps, Brass nipples and DT 350's from Bike24.

415euros is $650au on the button, a great stiff set of wheels to get your wheel building skills on the map.

ozzybmx

If you wanted to drive the price down a bit further, HiBike is cheaper for both hubs and rims, Bike24 will price match.

HiBike is way more expensive for spokes and have a bulky package charge. you could get a further 40euros knocked off for a price match.

You can also choose XD driver for the freehub, but not Shimano microspline 12spd.

EDIT: Just noticed Bike24 is out of the hubs, HiBike has them in stock 22/2.

HamboCairns

But then I'd have to buy a wheel building machine as well as wear any mistakes I make. I don't see myself building anyone else's wheels any time soon either.

ozzybmx

But then I'd have to buy a wheel building machine as well as wear any mistakes I make. I don't see myself building anyone else's wheels any time soon either.
Yep, but that's your decision, the above is one of the main reasons I started building my own wheels.

The difference between $1050 and $650 would buy my whole wheel building tool set, then youtube tells you the rest.

Minlak

custom titis
Yep, but that's your decision, the above is one of the main reasons I started building my own wheels.

The difference between $1050 and $650 would buy my whole wheel building tool set, then youtube tells you the rest.
What this man says - once you have the trying stand you can also make sure all the wheels you own are true from time to time - fix broken spokes - etc - it’s not rocket surgery and tonnes of YouTube clips on what to do. The only iffy part at all is spoke tension - so buy the tool to measure that too and your done for life.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@HamboCairns I am following to see what you get. I am the same weight and after a wheels set for the HT.
I was thinking of spending more on the rear and going cheaper on the front. I tend to ride my HT a bit more carefully that my other bikes but still seem to smash rear wheels.
Building wheels is a good skill but working out spoke length and finding spoke is a pain unlesss you are confident.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can easily build a truing stand for under $50 from particle board and it’ll work as well as a store bought one, albeit a little slower.
Roger Mussons book is a godsend. I followed it to the T and built a strong set of wheels that have taken a beating at Mt Stromlo and Thredbo in the last 6 months and are still straight as the day I finished them. I splurged on a Park tension meter and keeping the spoke tension even is probably what has kept them as straight as they are.
Seriously, it looks difficult, but it’s far from it. All it takes is time and patience.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@HamboCairns
Building wheels is a good skill but working out spoke length and finding spoke is a pain unlesss you are confident.
Working out spoke length isn’t difficult if you can use a ruler. The internet does the hard math if you input the correct numbers.
Finding spokes is also not that difficult, but you may have to wait a few weeks for them to arrive from the UK. There are two very good and very competitively priced custom spoke cutting shops the the UK that I know of. They will sell you the exact number and length of spoke and nipple you need. No mess, no fuss.
Seriously Hambo, give wheel building a shot. You’ll get great wheels at a good price and learn valuable skills along the way.

ozzybmx

All it takes is time and patience.
Back in about 2010, the first set of MTB wheels I ever built were Hope hubs to 29" Stans Crest rims using Revos, the rims were like butter, the spokes like elastic bands.
Not a good set to start with, they took me nearly 10 hours.

Now, its 1.5 - 2hrs per wheelset but I dont actually enjoy building wheels, its a chore but I enjoy knowing they are built properly with correct length spokes and quality components, tensioned correctly and evenly.

DT Swiss spoke calculator is gold and the interwebs is full of hub dimensions for those not listed.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back in about 2010, the first set of MTB wheels I ever built were Hope hubs to 29" Stans Crest rims using Revos, the rims were like butter, the spokes like elastic bands.
Not a good set to start with, they took me nearly 10 hours.

Now, its 1.5 - 2hrs per wheelset but I dont actually enjoy building wheels, its a chore but I enjoy knowing they are built properly with correct length spokes and quality components, tensioned correctly and evenly.

DT Swiss spoke calculator is gold and the interwebs is full of hub dimensions for those not listed.
If hambo is planning on using all DT parts, the calculation will be a piece of piss. All their parts are listed in their calculator, it’s just a matter of selecting the correct item from a drop down box and Bob’s your father’s, brother.
I didn’t time myself when I built my wheels, but it probably took me more than 10 hours as I had an issue with my tension meter not reading correctly and giving me false numbers. Without that issue, I would say 8-10 hours is a fair number as I was trying to get them as straight and evenly tensioned as humanly possible. I found it rather relaxing but could see it become tedious very quickly if it were your bread and butter.

ozzybmx

If hambo is planning on using all DT parts, the calculation will be a piece of piss. All their parts are listed in their calculator, it’s just a matter of selecting the correct item from a drop down box and Bob’s your father’s, brother.
Even just DT hubs makes it really easy but also the DT Calculator allows for spoke stretch with their own branded spokes. If Champions or Comps are selected, they will be at least 1mm or maybe even 2mm longer than Revos or the 'looks to be discontinued' super comps.