first trials bike, and what to look for?

aykay

Likes Bikes
I'll be the first to admit that my trials knowledge doesn't extend much farther than my trials skill, but I do know that the Mongoose Transfer runs the same length chainstays as the rest of their dirtjump mtbs, and its in the vincinity of 16". I don't know about the rest of you guys, but that's way too long for me.
Yeah your right the stays are a touch long compared to other "trials" bikes but its still ok for a beginner. Chris akrigg used to ride the same frame, and it didnt seem to bother him one bit!:D I dont think he has ever done a backwheel hop in his life but if you have ever seen him ride, he doesnt need to.

Macbeth

NSWMTB
I guess you are right El Whatevero.... Each to their own I guess.... Hell, some people still listen to Robert Palmer :confused:

donkay

Likes Dirt
Well put el guarrito:) I didnt really mean to have a major dig at onza. Just in my experience i have seen a few break and have stayed away from them. I do agree they make some nice beginner bikes that will get people out riding, and thats a good thing.
I think any bike made from U6 alloy (Koxx/echo family) will be a good longer lasting bike. Dont know why U6 is better but i have seen old levelbosses and echo pures last through ages of really hard abuse. Not being biased or anything, but thats just what i have seen.
Yeah Particularly the Levelboss, my god they're tough as, look at Alex Markwart's thing! still holding up!

And to Adam, I don't think Dan Pierce has been riding much, when he was up here in QLD he was riding like....2-3 times? apparantley he has moved to Melbourne? I remember him asking for Talon or so to meet up and ride with

Aykay is right U6 definately seems to hold up pretty well for trials, there are examples of first generation U6 frames that are still going strong after 5 + years.