Fit a bike in a ute tub

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
There's so many variables it what you asked it's just not funny. You're best off going down to a sale yard and measuring the exact ute you're going to buy then compare it to measurements of your own bike rather than ask a random question online. Even just the wheel bases on bikes in the same size vary from models in the same brand.
I'll take advice from your signature :)

I was simply asking for other people's experience. I don't think that's a bad thing to ask for tbh.

Minlak

custom titis

I was simply asking for other people's experience. I don't think that's a bad thing to ask for tbh.
You did nothing wrong welcome to rotorburn. If I wasn't so lazy I could take the wheel off my bike and check for you but well here we are... People start to reply with the best of intentions then 4 replies deep the topic is completely irellevant :)

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok without pictures not sure I can explain this and I know longer own a dual cab with canopy.

Basically I bought a piece of 12mm mdf and cut it so it fit diagonally in the tub. Tight. Ie corners where angled so wood wouldn't slide /move.

I then mounted a fork holder to the front and a strap for the back wheel and only had to take the front wheel off and it was secure. I did have a simple tie that went through one of the canopy bars and around the top tube.

COST about $40 from memory and worked a treat but did mean only one bIke in the back.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You did nothing wrong welcome to rotorburn. If I wasn't so lazy I could take the wheel off my bike and check for you but well here we are... People start to reply with the best of intentions then 4 replies deep the topic is completely irellevant :)
Come on! This thread has made a record length without reference to how many litres those tubs hold...

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Yes it fits , but why is it the poor mans ute ?

What about the great Wall ? Now that was a poor mans ute .

Last edited:

treble

Likes Dirt
I have a dual cab ute (older rodeo) with a canopy and I often take the front wheel and fit the bike in the tub diagonally.
I think the issue you are going to have is with the bars. I have mine pointing up because I have the extra space above the tub. If you have a roll top you will need to turn the bars and I think one side of your handlebars is going to be too long to close the tailgate.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If bar length / height is the problem carry an Allen key and turn the bars 90deg. I do that carrying the fatbike on the camper when I have kayaks on the roof rack. Needs to be an extreme combination of angles but it did touch once.

Or a hacksaw.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Ok, ute has been bought and the bike doesn't fit with just the front wheel off. It is indeed the bars that ruin everything. I haven't experimented with rotating the bars yet. I'll work out whether rear off or bars turned is a better option and update this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beej1

trick did you post this question in the newtriton forums? Someone there asking almost the same thing... only they were also asking about slinging the bikes over the tailgate as well.

If that's an option, I got an MQ Triton and installed a Mountiain Top Roll lid. Before purchasing this combo, I'd measured how much my two main bikes intruded into the tray of my MK Triton when slung over the tailgate, found out how much the roll top lid takes up of this space, and figured out I'd have enough room for my bikes in the MQ tub.

Anyway ... big day comes where my friend lifts my bikes into place (shoulder still too sore post-surgery to do it myself) after $2000 tray lid installed. Aaaaaand ... bikes don't fit.

Turns out the ARB rear bar on my MK - where the wheels would rest against when slung over the tailgate - sits much further proud of the rear than a stock MQ rear bumper bar. I'd planned to get a similar rear bar anyway, but in the meantime I just sit the bikes on an angle in the tray and the rear tyres rest against the fully retracted lid edge.

I never tried taking wheel off and putting into tray with lid closed. I doubt I'd ever use this option ... I think just running a cable through the rear triangles attached to the cargo hooks in the tub would do the trick - but I rarely if ever leave the bikes unaccompanied out of visual range for long.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, ute has been bought and the bike doesn't fit with just the front wheel off. It is indeed the bars that ruin everything. I haven't experimented with rotating the bars yet. I'll work out whether rear off or bars turned is a better option and update this thread.

Did you already get the roll top? I've been putting bikes in the back of my navara successfully, but they do sit up under the soft tonneau cover a little. Enough that you can see something is in the tub. I don't leave it places I'd be worried about bike theft though when I do that. Happy enough to park it at work behind a security gate though, or drop into The shops for milk/bread/beer unless I've got my good bike on board.

I considered getting a roll top, but the price put me off and I've been happy with the soft cover. I will just use a cable lock under the cover if I need to

Flow-Rider

Burner
You'd think they stopped making tape measures these days.
There's so many variables in what you asked it's just not funny. You're best off going down to a sale yard and measuring the exact ute you're going to buy then compare it to measurements of your own bike rather than ask a random question online. Even just the wheel bases on bikes in the same size vary from models in the same brand.

What more can you say! :doh:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How hard is it to take the rear wheel off and put it on? Far out...surely this is preferable to loosening the stem and rotating the bars?

How wide are your bars? You could always cut them and the each ride join the removed bits back on...

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
How hard is it to take the rear wheel off and put it on? Far out...surely this is preferable to loosening the stem and rotating the bars?

How wide are your bars? You could always cut them and the each ride join the removed bits back on...
Like I say, I only gave it a quick check. I think if worst comes to the worst I'll cut just the offending side of the bar down. It is going to be way easier to ride asymmetric bars than removing the rear wheel .

I haven't bought or tried anything yet so it's too soon to comment. The rear wheel can come off no problem if it needs to.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Like I say, I only gave it a quick check. I think if worst comes to the worst I'll cut just the offending side of the bar down. It is going to be way easier to ride asymmetric bars than removing the rear wheel .

I haven't bought or tried anything yet so it's too soon to comment. The rear wheel can come off no problem if it needs to.

And a new standard was born.

A few asymmetrical snow boards exist.