Fit a bike in a ute tub

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

I am very close to buying a poor mans ute, the Triton. I am interested in knowing if I could fit my mtb into the tub lying down. My thinking being if i remove the front wheel, lay it in the tub and get a roll top installed, I'll be able to park securely at work and ride without having to go home first to collect my ride.

The roll top would be preferable to a canopy as I could roll it back for shuttling.

So what do we think, front wheel off on its side, will it fit in a dual cab triton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
Hi all,

I am very close to buying a poor mans ute, the Triton. I am interested in knowing if I could fit my mtb into the tube lying down. My thinking being if a remove the front wheel, lay it in the tub and get a roll top installed, I'll be able to park securely at work and ride without having to go home first.

The roll top would be preferable to a canopy as I could roll it back for shuttling.

So what do we think, front wheel off on its side, will it fit in a dual can triton?

yes, i do it

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
If you're taking the front wheel off, won't it fit in the back seat? Or not a dual cab?
Yeah dual cab. Wanting to keep the bike out of the cab ideally. The tub is the business end in my mind.

I have a wagon right now. If I stored the bike in the cab I wouldn't gain as much as I'd like by switching to a ute.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Also fixed all of the typos. Clearly beer + T1 + iPhone keyboard + fat fingers = classic typos such as, 'will my bike fit in a triton tube!'

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It should fit, especially with the front wheel off. I recently enjoyed a lift with one of my friends in a crew cab triton, both our bikes tucked in the back.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I could be mistaken...but I think Mitsu did 2 different tub sizes for the dble cab Tritons....so if u haven't bought one yet, see if there are bigger tubs around...?
Personally I think canopies are a good option too.

Not entirely relevant, but I have an old Falcon ute & my XL framed 650B bike fits lying down inside the tub. Only thing is the 760mm bars are higher than the sides....HTH....

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
single cab should git, if its the dual cab you have to turn the front wheel facing up a bit [can't fit laying perfectly flat]

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I have the 2010 Triton which has the longer tray to the previous models. I never bother taking the wheel out so when not using my rack I load rear wheel first, rotate the wheel and have the bars just sitting on the edge of the tail gate.
This my rack setup....
Bike%20rack2.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
Laser measure man!
Don't forget to shine it in people's eyes' or make the cat next door jump all over the furniture chasing the dot.

For what it's worth I had a custom aluminium tray fitted to my single cab hilux and now it can fit 2 medium bikes laying down with a smallish tool box installed. I'd rather run a rear rack than having to constantly remove front wheels, there's roughly a post a month on my local FB page asking if somebody has picked up a front wheel that's been left behind.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Laying the bike in the tub with wheel(s) off will work but not really secure unless you have a lockable hard lid. Easy option though. All you’re doing is making it easier for someone to peel the cover back and throw the already partially dismantled bike(s) into their car.

The following may or may not be of use to you trickbooter. Hope it is.

Other options on the Triton dual cab could be something like the extreme duty rail support mount that shares components with the rest of the modular range of carrier range.

These mounts are popular with off-road tour businesses that take clients on off-road mtb tours with four bikes on a 4x4x4 carrier off the back of the ute and another four on top of the rear tub (for a total of eight bicycles on fairly demanding 4x4 tracks) – with room for supplies inside the tub itself. The rail support mounts can also be configured to slide out off the side of the ute so that the operators don't have to reach up. This feature is normally used on tour vehicles where the clients load bikes rather than a load master or when electric bicycles are used on the tour.

For what it’s worth, that mount can also be bolted down to just about any flat surface – like a camper trailer.

Some pretty versatile features to deal with all manner of demands.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Didn't the OP indicate they intended to use a roll top on the tray with their bike locked inside? These seem to work in a similar fashion to a window shutter that are often used over windows on commercial premises to protect the glass. As an added bonus the bike would also be protected from the elements.

Minlak

custom titis
Didn't the OP indicate they intended to use a roll top on the tray with their bike locked inside? These seem to work in a similar fashion to a window shutter that are often used over windows on commercial premises to protect the glass. As an added bonus the bike would also be protected from the elements.
Maaaate!!..... if we are going to just go around Willy Nilly answering questions that are actually asked we are in serious trouble...............

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Maaaate!!..... if we are going to just go around Willy Nilly answering questions that are actually asked we are in serious trouble...............
:loco:

Gonna give that revolutionary approach a crack!

So, yes, your bike should fit ok in a triton dual cab tub lying down with front wheel off. Unless your bike is an XL with 29"wheels and a set of monsters or triples in general.

With the roll top you can still consider one of the yakima biker bars. It can sit above the installation and give you non-tailgate/ additional to tailgate options. quick pic attached

Attachments

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
You'd think they stopped making tape measures these days.
Unless I can measure it with the internet it doesn't exist.

I had a go at rough calculations and it measure up as very tight, especially when considering how the handlebar might be positioned. Also given the wheel arches push into the tub, and I can do front end in and back end in first etc, I just figured it was worth asking for practical experience.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Yep that's the real objective here - to secure the bike under a roll top lid which, as described is a roller shutter that can be drawn across the tub and locked.

All of the 'on top of the tub' solutions look awesome for trips away, but not quite what I am after. I wouldn't trust my bike to still be on the rack after a day unattended.

I ride a medium 160mm travel 650b bike (Insurgent) with single crown forks.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Unless I can measure it with the internet it doesn't exist.

I had a go at rough calculations and it measure up as very tight, especially when considering how the handlebar might be positioned. Also given the wheel arches push into the tub, and I can do front end in and back end in first etc, I just figured it was worth asking for practical experience.

There's so many variables in what you asked it's just not funny. You're best off going down to a sale yard and measuring the exact ute you're going to buy then compare it to measurements of your own bike rather than ask a random question online. Even just the wheel bases on bikes in the same size vary from models in the same brand.

Last edited: