Fitness: Increasing capacity for a few years off 50.

driftking

Wheel size expert
As mentioned adaptations occur during rest so make sure you are fueling your body with good food.

The feeling of been smashed may or may not go away depending how you approach the rides, as we get fitter we tend to get faster so we end up still riding at our max, so while we don't feel any fitter we are actually putting out more power and our times drop but our effort doesn't really lower (80% is 80%), So on this note Its a good idea to have a particular route you can ride and time yourself. You can feel your fitness in a few ways, ride as you would normally and time yourself, as you get fitter the times should drop yet you're effort will still feel the same, so you may not feel any less buggered. Or you can stick to a certain speed/time and than you should feel like less effort is required.

Some people think they are not getting fitter because they still feel fatigued but in actual fact they are riding faster and producing more power than before.

As you get fitter though you should feel your recovery time improve significantly, so even if you are giving 100% and as I said you feel buggered you should take less time to recover from these big efforts.

My point is monitor a particular course every so often and use a consistent measure, time/effort/cadence/speed or whatever so you can compare it to old results to see where you're at.

Do yourself a favour and buy one of these! http://www.powerbreathe.com/

I have been using one for some time now and have found the improvements to be priceless. My lung capacity and strength especially under load or stress has improved vastly. It has allowed me to push harder for longer and feel less burning in my lungs. I get more oxygen into my body with less effort and find it less difficult to breathe when worn out. I do a lot of downhill mountain biking and copped the handlebars to my chest last week in a crash. I noticed that using the power breathe i wasn't winded for nearly as long and could recover quicker. its definately something i would consider buying if i had not bought one already
I have looked at those with mixed findings of if they really offer any benefit. I'd think deep water diving would be just as helpful. There is mixed evidence, im yet to see significant positive findings from someone other than the company selling the product.

I think one thing we have to be careful with is, who overtraining really applies to.

The sort of people who have professional coaches, and are used as study subjects, arent normal cyclists - they are highly competitive near professional and above levels. The sort of people who get up everyday at 3.30am, ride hard for 3 hours, and do gym in the evenings, then on the weekend when they put in some "proper" time on the bike! Have fat levels such that you can count their ribs from 3 paces away, and drink one beer on their birthdays only.

On the flip side, one of the things thats seen as a differentiator between sportsman and high performing amateurs and professionals is the intensity at which they train - ie extremely high intensity - they seek the discomfort and pain in training.

99% of us who are interested in training for best performance, are never going to put in 20 hours a week - i've known the odd professional coach and athlete, and the hours they will put in boggles the mind.
Not disagreeing but its also important to consider training load adaptions. A sedentary person can easily over train if they haven't done any exercise for years, where these highly training athletes have built up their ability to train at these high loads. Over training is not going to be as common in general public as athletes but there is correlation between their fitness level and the point in which they over train. We can say an athlete will over train at 20 hours a week, but if a average joe went out and tried to train 10 hours they would probably crash within 3 weeks.. Its still important to not over do it depending on where you are starting your fitness path.

That said don't be so scared you train too little, Speaking simple here we adapt because we push beyond. We essential are giving the body small bursts of overtraining. We train and the body is pushed what it is accustom too, so when its time to recover it makes up for that by compensating and getting better. The difference is we have enough rest for the body to recover fully. Overtraining occurs when our body does not have enough time for rest. And instead of building little steps of improvement upwards, we start seeing a decline in performance as the body slowly gets more and more fatigued.

On that note If you wake up and have a ride scheduled and don't feel 100% its best to take the day off or have a easy effort ride instead. Proffesional's monitor this stuff so when they are only recovered 70% they don't train beyond that. (unless under a supercompensation method)

There is a book that may be more suited to you which is designed for xc and road riders. Time crunched cyclist by Chris Carmichael, it is based on a 6hour workout week but it does have lots of information, a few different workouts and periods of training.

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i'm pushing 49 and the way i keep my fitness up is to use my bike as my commute. plus i recently went from two classes at bmx to three - i'm still at the tail end, but i'm fit :D

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Commuting has really improved my fitness, but I also bought a single speed bike to commute and trail ride on (Kona 29 Unit) and that has really made a difference. You want to go faster? Peddle faster. Hills? Work harder. I think it has done me a lot of good and improved my fitness and as it's full rigid my technique has also improved.

kinzman

Squid
I know this threads been running for a while but I had a read while looking for info on riding the (insert name here) Odyssey in April.

I hope carbon kid has reached a desired level of fitness and bike skills over the last year and a half.
As a 46 year who rides to work, spends most Sat morning in the Youies and the does the odd 20-40km 'race' around the river, I can see the benefits that come from doing something you love to get/stay fit and get the adrenaline flowing.
I'm writing this while still nursing a mildly corked thigh from an OTB in a rock-garden last Sat but I'll be back on the weekend trying some trails near Castlemaine. Nothing motivates more than the thrill of tearing through the bush and knowing that the fitter and better rider you become the more fun it gets.

If anyone has some tips for the 'Shorty' from food to training levels etc; I'd be glad to hear about them.

cheers P

I know this threads been running for a while but I had a read while looking for info on riding the (insert name here) Odyssey in April.

I hope carbon kid has reached a desired level of fitness and bike skills over the last year and a half.
As a 46 year who rides to work, spends most Sat morning in the Youies and the does the odd 20-40km 'race' around the river, I can see the benefits that come from doing something you love to get/stay fit and get the adrenaline flowing.
I'm writing this while still nursing a mildly corked thigh from an OTB in a rock-garden last Sat but I'll be back on the weekend trying some trails near Castlemaine. Nothing motivates more than the thrill of tearing through the bush and knowing that the fitter and better rider you become the more fun it gets.

If anyone has some tips for the 'Shorty' from food to training levels etc; I'd be glad to hear about them.

cheers P
A great tip to alleviate pulling up sore and to aid recovery is to eat within half an hour of finishing your ride. What is really important is to eat carbs/ protein at a ratio of around 4:1. If you have a higher percentage of protein your body utilises water to digest, therefore decreasing fluid levels in the limbs that need them to assist in flushing away lactic acid( not the correct terminology but near enough). So cereals, banana, yogurt are all good foods to eat post a tough ride. In addition when you have a shower following a tough ride switch the water over to cold for around 30 seconds then back to warm for a minute or so. Do this a couple of times. This has the effect of constricting the blood vessels and the relaxing them again and in effect aids flushing out the lactic acid ( once again the incorrect terminology but near enough) acts like a pump)). Try it, this really works. Make sure you keep hydrated. I'm 55 and need all of the help I can get! Works for me.

kinzman

Squid
Thanks E N,
They're tips that I can use. I always try and have some protein and carbs after a ride but your info on the ratios and the reasons why are really helpful.
I'm trying to develop a training/nutrition regime that will serve me well for the Kona Shorty and beyond. As I'm getting older I'm realising that you need to be more accurate with this as I've found even getting my electrolyte and carb levels out little a bit will have a big impact on my day's ride.

Cheers

Thanks E N,
They're tips that I can use. I always try and have some protein and carbs after a ride but your info on the ratios and the reasons why are really helpful.
I'm trying to develop a training/nutrition regime that will serve me well for the Kona Shorty and beyond. As I'm getting older I'm realising that you need to be more accurate with this as I've found even getting my electrolyte and carb levels out little a bit will have a big impact on my day's ride.

Cheers
Good luck with your training. If you feel inclined I would be interested in hearing how you go in the Kona.

Cheers

driftking

Wheel size expert
Will do - I'll try and keep a record of my prep leading up to it so if I fall in a big heap I can go back and see where it all went wrong!
I would note that one of the best things you can do to recover it limit how much you destroy yourself, Now I don't mean don't go hard, I mean make sure you are fueled up and hydrated before the event (even some days before for carb and fluid loading if its a long event), have a good post race routine, warm up have a planned meal.

On top of that make sure you are getting good hydration and nutrients during the race).

Should really help you pull up much better and really help limit the amount the body needs to recover, while maximizing your race performance.

As for general recovery the best thing is to have a good diet and keep yourself fueled up. no point taking a bunch of pre,intra,post meals or nutrients (well there is) but its not going to do much if the rest of the time your eating poorly.