Flash Bike slow rider!

RazeR

Likes Dirt
the point of being a "Vet" and still riding is that we (generally) have the disposable income to buy the nice bike. It might not make us faster, but it does make us feel better.

What's the alternative?.....expensive golf clubs.....yeah right !

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Interesting read, and to be honest, until now I had never really thought about my age (42). I just go out and ride, say hi to anyone I pass or wo passes me, and just do my own thing.

But now that I have read this thread, I am starting to question if I am too old... talk about raining on my parade :rain:

Hmmm, probably not - my wife married me after all, and she is 10 years younger, so I must still have some flair and youthfulness about me :heh:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Interesting read, and to be honest, until now I had never really thought about my age (42). I just go out and ride, say hi to anyone I pass or wo passes me, and just do my own thing.

But now that I have read this thread, I am starting to question if I am too old... talk about raining on my parade :rain:

Hmmm, probably not - my wife married me after all, and she is 10 years younger, so I must still have some flair and youthfulness about me :heh:
oh rhino - perk up buddy. The fact that any woman would want to be with such a crusty old bugger like you is reason for hanging in there. She is only 32 - you little devil. You deserve a new really flash bike and a sports car.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm just baffled that you guys can afford decent bikes in your, err, twilight years. I'm coming up 42, and both the wife and i earn reasonable money. But by the time all the bills are paid and the kids shit is sorted, I barely have enough to buy the occasional SH parts...
Young kids are the ones usually on the latest bikes, paid for my daddy...or at least that was the case when i used to race DH. MOST of the older guys were on shitters, but they smiled a lot more.
I've only ever had 2 new bikes in my life, both bought at wholesale when I used to have some money invested in a mates shop. One of them, bought in 04, is still my DH bike.
I'm at the opposite end of the scale to some of you blokes. I don't give a fuck what people think if I turned up on a 9yo DH bike with outdated geometry and parts. My other bikes are all older bikes with a mish mash of my favorite parts ......but I'm having more fun on them than most of the guys that rock up in carbon XTR bikes.....and I generally kick their arses, as well...:flame:

Good luck to anyone who has a flash new bike, even if they aren't the fastest guys out there. Unlike many young riders, you earled it and really appreciate it. Are we bagging the guys who buy sports cars during their mid life crisis and don't flog them at the race track? Ok, yes we are, bad example...

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i'm 48, my OH is eight years younger than me and we race bikes from the 80's :lol: plus newschool, but the real fun part is the Retro series. and yes, my newschool bike is a case of flash bike, slow rider and you know what? there's no other over 45's woman in this state doing it in two classes like i do. i may be old and slow, but i just lapped your arse that's sitting on the couch :dance:

ChopSticks

Banned
Might not be as old as you folks (22) but I completely agree with the points mentioned
I work fucking hard for my money (52hrs/week) so I sure as hell deserve to spend it how I see fit

I don't care what others thinking, I might be crap, but I love the build as much as the ride.

Snit

Likes Bikes
Wish I had a flash bike!!

I recently hit 40, only got into MTB about 6 months ago and would be considered 'Shit Bike Slow Rider'!! I can only wish I had a flash bike at this stage. Fitness and speed is coming along nicely though and I am happy to ride my 2nd hand duallie until I can save up enough money in my secret slush account. Then I will buy my flash bike and tell my wife I got it for a fifth of the price. At the end of the day, I really could not care less what people think of my bike and riding ability. All that matters is that when I am on the trails, I feel like I'm 20 again!!

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Old bike, new bike, who cares as long as you have fun. I did buy a flash new bike a year ago, when a store was closing down - I walked in as they were closing their doors on the last day and offered them a ridiculous amount for a bike (as in I offered them sweet F all) and they took it... so I was happy.

But I am finding I am afraid of destroying the carbon frame as each time I ride it I come home with new tears in the carbon :(

So now I am building a very old bike from second hand parts (alloy) and it is heaps of fun - sadly though, I got ripped off over some forks but I guess it was a learning experience :(

As to sports cars, does a modified 4wd that could beat a wrx or commodore in a quarter mile drag count? :lol:

As to sports cars, does a modified 4wd that could beat a wrx or commodore in a quarter mile drag count? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I drive an old Volvo with a wee bit of power, off the lights its not a whippet, but used right, presto, I still leave many behind because they still are learning how to use what they got... Just like my riding, nice bike, getting "young" again, its all about how you use it... Who cares, the smile on mine and their face is what its worth!

Sorry did not quote correctly. as for times... Still old or young, have fun, both ways everyone can learn and have a giggle.. Be safe!

Last edited:

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Heres a video I found of my first time trying to drag race my 4wd at Calder (as per request). On that particular day I got down to 14 seconds on the quarter mile.

New engine now, heaps more power - but the car sits in the garage and does nothing, I am having too much fun on 2 wheels :)

http://www.mudrhino.com.au/Movies/Calder.wmv

danha

Squid
I had crap bikes as a kid and we used to weld the things back together after the weekend (late 80's early 90's pre-suspension forks era) and cannabilise from Kmart bikes to keep going, so now on my FS XC rig I don't feel guilty at all as I've been there and done that, earned my stripes! But... after all this time riding bikes I entered my first ever race on the weekend and felt like I was the kid on the shit bike again, some damn impressive carbon framed machinery getting around with fancy GPS computers hanging off them and all sorts of accessories. Felt like a poor man running with my SLX group on an aluminum frame in that company.

Greeny_SA

Likes Dirt
Not old really in age (28), but been riddled with arthritis since I was 24 in nearly every joint in my body. Built what I'm pretty sure will be my last ever DH bike since I figure @ best, I have 5'ish years left in me before everything gives out. Built the lightest / best DH ring I could manage http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?257011-Santa-Cruz-Carbon-V10-5-(Pic-heavy) Because if nothing else, I hurt myself less lifting it onto the roof racks.

Have to say though, it does feel kind of embarrassing being completely bundled up in armor and being slow as hell. While kid's on ancient Stinky's ride twice as fast as me.

Good thing building bikes / sourcing parts is also fun :)

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Me. Flash bike, slower than you would think.

I'm the overweight middle aged guy with all the carbon and Zipps that gets left behind on the shop rides.
I'm so pissweak I couldn't push a stick into a fresh dog turd.

But you know what, it doesn't make it any less enjoyable. I ride because I love it.
Even at my pace it's the closest thing to that feeling you get in a flying dream.

Last night I got overtaken by a middle aged lady on an 80s ten speed. I don't care, the whole time I am on the bike I have a smile on my face.

Hell, even rone beat me up stricko the other day haha :p

47 yo

man...i/m feelin old on here! i only just got on this forum as well as the DH sport.
(see my tread in the newbie section)
been in the top 10 BMX riders in the netherlands when i was 16 years old...shit thats a while ago !!!
i got very itchie after watching some DH dvd's and got an insane adrenalin rush after bolting down the old willunga hill DH track on my crappy k-mart bike!! not very smart i know as the sticker on the frame clearly indicates "not to use it offroad" whaaahaa!! ..i still did! bend the damn wheels tho ;-D
i don care how old i am, this crazy dutch bastard still wants to go hard, in my mind that is...whether or not the body can cope with it! haha..
not bad for an ols fart so out of shape its not funny, to ride UP willunga hill !! and still have enough feeling in the legs to bolt down that track!!
scary as hell but more because of the shittie bike and not knowing the track! went to the bikeshop straight away and looking at a good allround DH bike.. plenty of info on here to get a good idea what to buy.. see ya young punks on the tracks soon!! hahaha