Flash Bike slow rider!

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
I love this thread. May be 20+ years my senior but I guess scrapin by is scrapin by. I loved every one of my second hand, self modified beaters. Camo giant dh comp with a Chainguide I made out of a kayak? Why the fuck not, not like I can afford an mrp at 16

Hey mate, not every vet can afford a 6000 dollar bike
Like me, still got to save up for it. Sure I could just put it on top
Of our mortgage and won't even notice the extra 20 bucks a month
But I don't do that...maybe when its all paid off in about 4 years
THEN I'll uograde the suzuki for a V8 landcruiser ute with offroad camper and 2
Top of the range giant bikes strapped on it ;-D

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Heres a video I found of my first time trying to drag race my 4wd at Calder (as per request). On that particular day I got down to 14 seconds on the quarter mile.

New engine now, heaps more power - but the car sits in the garage and does nothing, I am having too much fun on 2 wheels :)

http://www.mudrhino.com.au/Movies/Calder.wmv
Lol, I like the idea of the Jeep SRT grand cherokee. 13.2 1/4 stock :). Not a whole lot of utility, but a fair bit of sports.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
A much older mate of mine fits into the category (as do I but not with quite the same aplomb)...

He's not long scored himself a SC Tallboy carbon bling yellow thing that is way more bike than he needs and is capable of exploiting but he loves the way it feels and enjoys every second of it. It is his latest of five or more 29ers over the last six years that include high spec brands such as Pivot, Intense, Specialized and a few others. He's a more than capable engineer and bike mechanic and has built up every bike just the way he wants them. He's also built and restored other bikes just for giggles...

His justification is sensational...he has six grandchildren. So all the bikes he's bought and no longer rides aren't his anymore...they have been allocated to his grandchildren. Though I suspect that the Tallboy might finally be a keeper. Though they may not all be of the size as yet...three of them run one of his old bikes. He's also dragged all kids into the riding culture as well either by buying them a bike or helping them sort out which bike to buy. When the family gets together it's a heck of a peleton of top quality MTB's and the mob are a hoot to ride with...

FlyingRV

Likes Bikes
If its your dream bike, buy it and ride it as long as you can.
The way things are going in the industry at the moment it will be old and obsolete in a year.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
...now there's something I just don't get. $10K on a watch? )
Beyond $1000 watches become man jewellery, a work of mechanical art, and to some a status symbol. It is no longer just about telling time which any quartz watch from kmart will do more accurately.

And before you start on about status symbols, everyone has them, especially kids. A lot of kids wouldn't be seen dead in Kmart clothes. They MUST have Rip curl or Nike or whatever, you get my drift.

Last edited:

tommy gun

Likes Dirt
Ditto Yellow Tallboy LTC

Im 52, been riding a while and in the process of building a Tallboy LTC, totally consumed!
Its like I'm building my first model plane.
One word passion, love riding and love bikes.
Gordo

A much older mate of mine fits into the category (as do I but not with quite the same aplomb)...

He's not long scored himself a SC Tallboy carbon bling yellow thing that is way more bike than he needs and is capable of exploiting but he loves the way it feels and enjoys every second of it. It is his latest of five or more 29ers over the last six years that include high spec brands such as Pivot, Intense, Specialized and a few others. He's a more than capable engineer and bike mechanic and has built up every bike just the way he wants them. He's also built and restored other bikes just for giggles...

His justification is sensational...he has six grandchildren. So all the bikes he's bought and no longer rides aren't his anymore...they have been allocated to his grandchildren. Though I suspect that the Tallboy might finally be a keeper. Though they may not all be of the size as yet...three of them run one of his old bikes. He's also dragged all kids into the riding culture as well either by buying them a bike or helping them sort out which bike to buy. When the family gets together it's a heck of a peleton of top quality MTB's and the mob are a hoot to ride with...

There are too many past times I enjoy to be able to buy top of the line gear for. At some point in time I gotta pay off my mortgage.

So it's a second hand bike for me, at least I'm riding, it's something I always wanted to try but the price of the bikes scared me off. Now the boy is riding we head out on the weekend and have a laugh.

Hooch

Likes Bikes
me lol.

heh after years of suffering i was able to afford some nice bikes, all in the 2.5k - 3.5k class, GF Cake, speccy enduro. sadly those two where stolen. purchased a roady..and didn't like riding a roady.
sat for a while then the bike of my dreams came up at a price I could afford. a merida team 96 carbon with xx running gear and fsa bling. ex team merida bike. (previous owner was in defence and sold it through work at a great price.)
so i picked up a 2011 bike that cost 10k at a lot less than that. I might not do it justice, but god I love riding it.IMG_1198.JPG

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I'm happy to share the ironies of life with the young fellows...you too can afford some real bling in your senior years :D :D unless of course good fortune comes your way earlier.

I guarantee my 429C has made me a faster rider! Better? Well perhaps not. Don't care keeps me out there away from the bars and those other sedentary lifestyles.

I have a few bling bikes now for road and offroad with top level components. On road I have the latest 11spd dura ace and it is pretty sweet. I used to have XTR until I found X0 was just as good maybe even better so I put that level on my MTBs, it was the top level before XX came along and I don't think there is much difference at all, sometimes not even weight wise it's just a different colour. That aside, good level components do make a difference, it might seem small until you start missing gears during a race and end up conceding places because of it. Won't speed you up but definitely won't slow you down.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I always thought life would be more effective if you started off old (physically) and grew younger.

Imagine what you could do with a new fresh set of legs, some super to cash and mortgage paid off, no job and a lifetime of savings.

Instead we spend our physically best years sitting in a classroom reading, then the next best few years working our butts off (usually sitting down too).

I would say I have more bike than ability and I am still under 30! But who cares, you make your shortfalls however you can - money, experience, bravery, skills, carbon.

I say, (for 2c, haha young guys don't know what that is)
get on whatever bike you have and go have fun! and stop envying / bagging other peoples bikes

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I say, (for 2c, haha young guys don't know what that is)
get on whatever bike you have and go have fun! and stop envying / bagging other peoples bikes
For sure, but when you get a top end bike that's one of the privileges; bagging lesser bikes! It's important as a vet when you know that may be the only good quality riding you've got left :laugh:

I use to ride ladders, & DJ. When i could no longer ride at a level that i was happy with. I gave all my bikes, & gear to my kid. Now i just bomb fire roads on a rigid with no brakes (wide handlebars is all you need)

gtryder

Squid
Interesting thread, I agree with some of the others on here, buy what you want and dont worry about what anyone else thinks.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Or just boost your non dickhead post count with a few gravedigs, get trading access, and get a sweet second hand Yeti SB6c

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt