Flat tires. Wtf!!

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
They just keep coming!

Last week I flatted front and rear in the one run. Just as I finished a run the front went flat, and just as I was putting my bike in the car the rear had also gone down. Got another rear flat today too. I flat the front just as often as the rear.

Don't tell me to check my rims/tires, as I do every time I change the tube. Also don't tell me to put more air in my tires.

I'm going tubeless. The end.

End of rant.

Have a good day.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
I once had 13 flats in a week, and was going (may have gone) insane :mad:. I solved it by changing my tyre. I never found out why, and I checked very thoroughly, all 13 times.

frostyking54

Likes Bikes
all i can say is you should probably get a professional DH tube and if it keeps happening there might be something wrong with the valve

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I always baby powder my tubes, don't know if it helps or not. It does let your tubes move around in your tyre. I use welterweight tubes and ping my rims pretty hard sometimes, hardly any flats.

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt
Now how on earth does that work??
But why baby powder...wouldn't flour do the same thing or is a Ingredent in the Baby Powder.
baby powder works by reducing friction between the tyre and tube, therefore preventing pinch flats. And baby powder works better than flour cos as soon as flour gets wet it goes all sticky and kinda ruins the whole idea of less friction. It also makes it a whole lot heavier when wet. Baby powder however doesnt get as sticky or 'gluggy' and smells half decent:p talcum powder does the same job

castillo

Likes Dirt
I do the baby powder thing too. It basically stops the tube ballooning in one area and lets it move more freely within the tyre. Urban legend? Maybe. Have I ever pinch flatted since using it? No.

I was in a similar position to you not long ago. This will be hard to believe, but I got 38 flats in one month. Yes, you read that correctly. I nearly gave up riding purely because I couldn't afford tubes anymore. I went through countless rim tape setups, i sanded the inside of the rim, I ran 60psi, it didn't matter.
In the end, I bought a whole new wheel, and put the old one in a pillowcase and smashed it on a brick wall, repeatedly.
That was a really shitty month.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
In the end, I bought a whole new wheel, and put the old one in a pillowcase and smashed it on a brick wall, repeatedly.
That was a really shitty month.
But I bet you felt a whole lot better after smashing the wheel! Thanks for the tips guys. Will start using baby powder now.

trolleyed

Likes Bikes
I've been riding downhill for about a year now, and in that time i've managed to get no flats, at all... Through various bikes, various wheels/tyres, ghetto tubeless, still no flats!!

Having said that, i've probably just cursed myself... (touch wood)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
What does this do exactly? I've also heard that it can reduce rolling resistance (somehow?)
I always baby powder my tubes, don't know if it helps or not. It does let your tubes move around in your tyre.
baby powder works by reducing friction between the tyre and tube, therefore preventing pinch flats.
In line with these and other comments ... by reducing friction or allowing the tube to deform / move instead of stick ... it can reduce the chance of pinching the tube.

Not sure about reducing rolling resistance as that is more the tire and contact with the ground ... whilst the baby powder is in the tire ??? *shrugs.

Maybe softer rims ... I find I tend to flat the same rocky section on my mag30s, whilst its ok on my other rims ???

in the end ... increase your pressure or change your rubber ... going tubless will just add sticky shit into your equation *shrugs

Last edited: