Flats + SPD on one pedal

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I've got a pair of PD M530 pedals which I bought on recommendation from the dickwad sales guy that sold me my bike ( it's unbelievable how many mistakes one person can make on a single sale).
http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360073221/shimano_pdm530.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
When I bought the bike I told the sales guy I wanted pedals that I could flip for downhill/ more confidence when needed and that's what he suggested. When wearing shoes with cleats you can't keep your feet on them and as soon as you hit some mud you can't keep any shoe on the flat side and they clog with clay like you wouldn't believe. They are useless for the tasks I wanted from them.

I still like the idea of being able to flip my pedal and was wondering if anybody else uses pedals like these. I could buy these
http://cdn.pushys.com.au/media/cata...33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/pushys/e/EPDM324.jpg or something like these
http://c7.myshopping.com.au/rsz200/...-RUE1OEJDNzY1QjYxNTg2NUNFOUI_NjhFQzVFLmpwZwAA

I could also buy pins and put them into what I've got but that won't help with the mud clogging up the binding.

I have to do something soon because clip stacks are starting to become too frequent as I'm pushing my limits more.

mattwilkinson

Likes Dirt
Is the mud clogging affecting the functionality of the pedal at all? Those pedals look like Shimano's trail series pedals, even that shape is used on their top of the line XTR pedal.... I am sure they wouldn't be produced if clogging up with mud affected them.

In my experience, you will eventually eliminate the clip stacks. I used to hate riding up steep sections clipped in but persisted and it's just second nature now. I found when unclipping and using the other side of the pedal your should would never get a really good grip or be able to push as much power. If you start falling to the side you can just unclip your foot.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I've been riding for years and cant recall anyone who has stuck with double sided [flats + clips] pedals.
They seem like a good idea at the time but only really work if the bike is used for commuting and trail riding where you wear flat soled runners etc for the commute and SPDs for trail riding.
You cannot wear any form of cleated shoe with a flat pedal, they simply slide off.
Either flats or SPDs when on the trails, not both at once.

My advice is stick with the SPDs, the falls will become less when clipping out becomes second nature

damo666

Likes Dirt
I've used the Pushys ones you have linked below - whilst they work well in terms of grip etc, they are a bit of a hassle when getting started on a tricky section of trail, as the bloody things ALWAYS flip to the other side than the one you want! Other than that, they work well.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Thanks for your input Guys.
The "mud" makes it hard for me to clip back in but calling the evil clay muck we get in the Maribyrnong Valley mud probably doesn't do it justice.
Looks like it might be time to buy 2 sets of pedals because there is no way I'm going to try get through a rock garden again clipped in.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I've used the Pushys ones you have linked below - whilst they work well in terms of grip etc, they are a bit of a hassle when getting started on a tricky section of trail, as the bloody things ALWAYS flip to the other side than the one you want! Other than that, they work well.
Also used those pedals, and hate them. The flat side had practically no grip at all - fine for a lazy pedal to the shops, but totally useless out on the trail.

Agree with the issue of them rotating to the wrong side too, that was always a pain in the arse. Makes sense though, seeing as the clip in side is heavier, and gravity will do its thing.

The other pair you linked look a lot more usable though - at least they've got pins on the flat side! For me though, they were more worst of both worlds. I've got two sets of pedals - clipless for XC riding, flat for trickier stuff. Really don't take long to switch over.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I can understand that you want something versatile but flipping a pedal and having shoes to suit just sounds like a recipe for more crashing. I reckon you need to either decide if you want to ride clips or flats and not both as trying to find a happy medium will ruin your riding experience.
For what it's worth, I ride clips purely to keep my feet in the same spot every time I ride. I hate having my feet randomly on my pedals, hence the clips. I can safely say that I've never crashed because of clips, the crash has happened because of something other than my clipped in feet.
If you like having your feet fairly stable on the pedals then I say get 5/10 shoes and some good pins.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check out CB mallets - the 2s and 3s are a decent pinned platform, but I find the recessed cleat hard to get into when starting on tech sections (as mentioned about the funn's), but that is partially because there is so much grip on the 5'10"s with them, its fine with my s-works shoes.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Thanks to Franco Cozzo who just gave me a call and offered to lend me a couple of different types to try.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Thanks to Franco Cozzo who just gave me a call and offered to lend me a couple of different types to try.
yup, sorted next time i see ya ;)

youll be able to at least try all three types now and see what works best for where & how you want to ride. i reckon youll like a flat pinned pedal & 5/10 type shoe ...who knows you might run both an spd/flat & just choose which you prefer based on where youre riding that particular day

...also dont worry about the mud too much now as its only going to get dryer/dustier/hardpacked as we roll thru spring into summer...wont have to worry about mud till late autumn/early winter and youll have acquired muchos mad skillz on your new steed by then :p

takai

Eats Squid
I have a few pairs of dual purpose flip flop SPD/Flat pedals. They are basically only useful for commuters and touring bikes. The flat side rarely has enough grip to function as a MTB flat, and the SPD shoes rarely have enough meat to grip on a flat pedal.

Brilliant for commuting and stuff though. Can just jump on the bike for a quick pedal to the shops, or have SPDs on for longer commutes.

rone

Eats Squid
I have a few pairs of dual purpose flip flop SPD/Flat pedals. They are basically only useful for commuters and touring bikes. The flat side rarely has enough grip to function as a MTB flat, and the SPD shoes rarely have enough meat to grip on a flat pedal.

Brilliant for commuting and stuff though. Can just jump on the bike for a quick pedal to the shops, or have SPDs on for longer commutes.
Also quite good for your pub bike when you're riding home and you're too pissed to clip in.