Flats to Clipless? Who has done it?

I did try bonsoy (the others curdle), but my manboobs are big enough already.

I have found that curdling soy really depends on the coffee and the barista making it, but double shots are likely to curdle almost all the time.

My manboobs are neither generous nor lacking substance: "adequate for my age and stage" is probably about right.

I have found that curdling soy really depends on the coffee and the barista making it, but double shots are likely to curdle almost all the time.

My manboobs are neither generous nor lacking substance: "adequate for my age and stage" is probably about right.
I would use coconut milk/cream if it didn't curdle. Or... I could just HTFU and use it anyway.

Still commuting on roadie cleats, and if no one is looking I’ll clip in first go, but if I’m at the lights and I need to get away quickly with all the poeple watching ill fluff it every time and wobble along for a while trying to get the bloody shoe in… Just one of those rules about cycling.

I should put the flats back on one of the mountain bikes though. It is a quite different set of skills and good ones to have. I was riding flats when i smashed myself up (not because of the flats!), but during the long road back to mojo/confidence recovery I went back to the familiar clips.
My version of that is trying to untangle the shoe lace from the flat pedal to come to a stop :)

Coffee is like whisky - if you have to add anything to it, it’s probably not good enough to be drinking in the first place.
OTOH, a decent whisky has residual sugars and a good flavour profile.

Most coffee tastes fucking awful until milk and/or sugar is added.
Even the coffee beans I get from a decent place that roasts a LOT of coffee daily for cafes - even freshly ground a minute or so before putting my hit in the plunger... that tastes better with milk or sugar.
I could deal without milk or sugar if there were a dash of good whisky... ;)

Started on flats in 1971. Never had issues with keeping my feet on the pedals , but at the insistence of riding buddies , tried clips for a few months around 2005. Gave it a good solid go and hated every second of it.
On flats for 53 years now and no intentions of changing.
(yells at cloud)

OTOH, a decent whisky has residual sugars and a good flavour profile.

Most coffee tastes fucking awful until milk and/or sugar is added.
Even the coffee beans I get from a decent place that roasts a LOT of coffee daily for cafes - even freshly ground a minute or so before putting my hit in the plunger... that tastes better with milk or sugar.
I could deal without milk or sugar if there were a dash of good whisky... ;)
@pink poodle please edumacate this heathen re the joys of proper coffee…

Everyone has their own ways of enjoying coffee...don't knock it till you try it.
Screenshot_20240611-182315.png

You can't help everyone...eventually you just give up and accept that as long as the drink in the glass is the drink they want, you've made the right drink. Then you snicker about their lack of taste with your colleagues in the cool room.

Everyone has their own ways of enjoying coffee...don't knock it till you try it.
View attachment 410156

I know a guy that swears by it. Definitely a weird guy.

You can't help everyone...eventually you just give up and accept that as long as the drink in the glass is the drink they want, you've made the right drink. Then you snicker about their lack of taste with your colleagues in the cool room.

Life has enough unpleasant moments, to go seeking out extra ones with one's caffeine drink of choice. ;)

Flats first obviously, then Clips when we went XC racing. I like Clips, and would have continued with them, but over time, we started riding random trails, as in not bike parks, and it was just better to be able to not have to think about it, as in, un-clipping, when coming across the unknown. But, on Flats, I do miss the perfection of foot placement.

Recently, after watching some ‘Murican dude about how to ride ready position… instead of your feet being both flat, you tilt your front foot down at the back, and you tilt your rear foot up at the back, then you lever your feet apart, to wedge your feet into the pedals. It might be a crock, but I spent the weekend, trying to remember to do this, and I must say, it did feel good. But, to be fair, it might have been having new snazzy bikes, with fantastic grippy flat pedals, that tricked me into a sense of security.

Recently, after watching some ‘Murican dude about how to ride ready position… instead of your feet being both flat, you tilt your front foot down at the back, and you tilt your rear foot up at the back, then you lever your feet apart, to wedge your feet into the pedals. It might be a crock, but I spent the weekend, trying to remember to do this, and I must say, it did feel good. But, to be fair, it might have been having new snazzy bikes, with fantastic grippy flat pedals, that tricked me into a sense of security.
Roxy explains the reason for this foot placement really well:

Flats first obviously, then Clips when we went XC racing. I like Clips, and would have continued with them, but over time, we started riding random trails, as in not bike parks, and it was just better to be able to not have to think about it, as in, un-clipping, when coming across the unknown. But, on Flats, I do miss the perfection of foot placement.

Jeff Lenosky goes through that explanation on a video he made about 5 years ago.
I use the same method. But even wearing Sam Hill 5/10 shoes the I still can't ride like either of them.

Flats first then clips for a long time. Went back to flats for a bit to try them out, but am now back on clips. I like the technique required to ride on flats but the main reason I went back to clips was most of the riding I do involves a lot of hand built, off camber and at times pretty rough single track. I was constantly getting pedal strikes on flats and bouncing the feet off. So after several blood sacrifices to the gods of pedal pins I spat the dummy and chucked the clips back on.

started flats then quickly clipless. was good on most trails, locked in over bumps and drops. The downside was clipping in again whenever i stalled, being most unstable right when you had an issue already. Back to flats for years now, worst part is trying to to get foot position right again when it's off, you cant just pivot the foot but have to get it right off the pedal to reset.

I can ride clipped when I commute or do long flat kms, but my knee doesn't like riding trails clipped.

I find I like both for different reasons, most of them already covered. Nothing to say that you can't just flit between the two - pedals aren't hard to take off and put on.

I can ride clipped when I commute or do long flat kms, but my knee doesn't like riding trails clipped.

I find I like both for different reasons, most of them already covered. Nothing to say that you can't just flit between the two - pedals aren't hard to take off and put on.
Periods standing up the difference?

What's driving your interest to switch?
Greatest benefit is added foot security, are you currently losing your feet where you ride?

Gave the clipless pedals a red hot go on the mtb for 7 years then went back to flats and have been back on them for 6 years on both the hardtail and dualy. No intention of going back to clipless for mtb. Still ride clipless for commuter and road bike.
Have had way fewer small offs on flats. Running clipless those moments where you could have easily saved yourself with a quick dab of the foot turn into a bigger crash.
Very occasionally I might lose a foot on the hardtail going through a rock garden but mostly it's when I'm not concentrating.
yeah mate, I've noticed on a few rock gardens and rougher areas my feet bounce a touch, which, touch wood. Hasn't caused me to get too smacked up!

Back