SA Flinders Ranges Outback Epic (27th October 2018)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Event name: Flinders Ranges Outback Epic
Date: Saturday 27th October 2018
Discipline: Marathon/Epic/XC/Endurance
Entry link: http://www.eventstrategies.com.au/wp/flinders-ranges-outback-epic/entry/
Sponsors: Hammer Nutrition
Description of event: 64km, 109km or 205km on the Flinders Ranges By Bike Route, choose your distance and even do it as a relay team. You don't ride on the same track twice, its new trail the whole way. The track consists of Dirt tracks, farmers tracks, creeks, sand, rock and walking trails.

FRBB.jpg

ozzybmx

I'm curious. You ridden it before Ozzy?
Yes, have not missed a year since it started.

2013 - 109km MTB
2014 - 205km MTB
2015 - 205km Fatbike
2016 - 205km MTB
2017 - 109km Cyclocross

This year he has made a special new category, 109km duo with a 12yr old age limit, to suit a few young blokes who are exactly 12yrs old.

I am doing 109km chaperone for my two boys, #2 son will do the first 45km from Willow Springs to Gum Creek, then #1 will do the last 65km from Gum Creek to Wilpena. Mum will be doing support car.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Thanks Ozzy.
Few years until my boy is old enough..might have to give it a go myself.
Anyone else from Adelaide going up?
Would you cx again?
43 mm big enough rubber?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

I am doing 109km chaperone for my two boys, #2 son will do the first 45km from Willow Springs to Gum Creek, then #1 will do the last 65km from Gum Creek to Wilpena. Mum will be doing support car.
I think I'd prefer to be #1...that run from Willow Springs to the Arkaroola Rd was hilarious.

The trouble with the glorious bits (like down from Red Hill to the road and down Razorback) of the Gum Creek to Wilpena leg is that they are followed by Wilcolo Creek...and that sodding hurt.

Sadly too far away now to ever go again. And too unfit...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I think I'd prefer to be #1...that run from Willow Springs to the Arkaroola Rd was hilarious.

The trouble with the glorious bits (like down from Red Hill to the road and down Razorback) of the Gum Creek to Wilpena leg is that they are followed by Wilcolo Creek...and that sodding hurt.

Sadly too far away now to ever go again. And too unfit...
Guessing you're not living somewhere flat anymore?

ozzybmx

Thanks Ozzy.
Few years until my boy is old enough..might have to give it a go myself.
Anyone else from Adelaide going up?
Would you cx again?
43 mm big enough rubber?
Loads of rAdelaideians heading up... yes would CX again but it's hard on yer arms. Felt like I'd been on a jackhammer for 5 hrs.
I ran 40c Schwalbe G-ones at nearly 50psi... I usually do 40psi on them but the Flinders is so rocky that it's better to have harder pressure than rock strike a rim or snake bite a tyre.

ozzybmx

First leg is shorter and a bit cooler at 10am... saving the (slightly) faster son for the 2nd leg.
#2 gives up when it gets hard, #1 runs himself 200% till destruction. Working on #2