Floods in VIC - everyone ok?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can see in the foreground the start of the ST heading upstream towards Banksia. Even the main Yarra trail was under water well before Banksia and Bruce’s. Went up to the boulevard and the horse paddock was under too. This was Monday. This might take a while
View attachment 394089
Might be a little longer. This was the Yarra swallowing the road just out of Yarraglen
last Friday morning. 2 hours later they closed the road and I was diverted around, then again on Tuesday coming home. Vic roads still saying its closed now.
Screenshot_20221104-212257_Gallery.jpg

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That's about as big as I experienced it...and it'll get a bit bigger yet. You've got plenty of time now to think about a recovery plan for Coomie too. The builds at the Log Bridge and Unhappy Valley are likely history for starters...
Not to mention all the silt being dropped over everything.

Pinched a couple of photos of Coomie from Strava.

2nd October
Screenshot_20221104-224323_Strava.jpg

31st October
Screenshot_20221104-223943_Strava.jpg

Screenshot_20221104-223953_Strava.jpg

MacMan

Squid
You can see in the foreground the start of the ST heading upstream towards Banksia. Even the main Yarra trail was under water well before Banksia and Bruce’s. Went up to the boulevard and the horse paddock was under too. This was Monday. This might take a while
View attachment 394089
It was definitely subsiding when I passed yesterday, but the trails will be a mess for some time to come.

I wonder where all the snakes swam to?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This was Nine Mile Creek in Wunghu near the end of June:
1474D629-672F-4436-AFDC-BFE27B95D592.jpeg

This was it again on Tuesday (taken from the same bridge, but this time with a wide-angle lens, and looking in the other direction). Worth noting the water had dropped about 40cm over the preceding week too. Found a dead carp on that grassy bank on the left that had been trapped as the water receded.
72A40FF5-C507-46AF-806D-A6B1FC34D825.jpeg

Cardy George

Just saw that your levels aren't expected to peak until mid December. Jeez that must be worrying, to see the slow, inexorable rise.
Hmmmm, as a member of the MTB club, yes. As a citizen of this wide flat land, not too much. The track won't be obliterated as there shouldn't be water flowing through it so much, but the clean up and re-build of a few obstacles is going to be huge.

The town itself doesn't have a heap of low-lying buildings, there are some that will get wet, but we won't be driving boats down the streets. Not even the worst flood ever made it that high.

My house in particular is on one of the highest areas of the district. I'm sleeping just fine.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My house in particular is on one of the highest areas of the district. I'm sleeping just fine.
What about the others who aren't you you you selfish bastard. ;)

Clean up aint fun. I have helped out the last couple and you arrive back home completely shattered. But when you drive in the driveway and see the house and stuff and weren't in any way threatened it makes you think about those houses you were just tearing water logged shit out into the streets. Cleaned up at the old office the first time and the crap that made its way into car parks and storerooms was incredible. The stench hangs around for a long time.

Cardy George

This is a modelling of what they think will flood this time, and the red line is the rough boundary of "our" park. There is a couple of deep channels that run through the place. @ozzybmx you can see the golf course along the bottom of the red blob.

20221105_201653.jpg

And this is the prediction of Mildura itself. If you look closely the water is staying away from the built up areas. On the Victorian side most of the people in trouble are down in the bottom right towards Nichols Pt and further south. It's not densely populated, but there are quite a few houses down that way.

20221105_201716.jpg

What they haven't been saying is what effect the Darling is going to have on the water clearing out of the place. As @silentbutdeadly has said, we have nice wide flood plains to help keep the heights down. But there is still a shit-tonne of water to come from the Murrumbidgee upstream of us, and another shit-tonne to come through the Darling downstream of us. And then there's all the rain down south, with already full storages having to release water to make space, we could be under water for a very long time.

Finally, this is my prediction of the size of mosquito that will be roaming the land around January.

Screenshot_20221105-203745_GIPHY.jpg

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
This is a modelling of what they think will flood this time, and the red line is the rough boundary of "our" park. There is a couple of deep channels that run through the place. @ozzybmx you can see the golf course along the bottom of the red blob.

View attachment 394198

And this is the prediction of Mildura itself. If you look closely the water is staying away from the built up areas. On the Victorian side most of the people in trouble are down in the bottom right towards Nichols Pt and further south. It's not densely populated, but there are quite a few houses down that way.

View attachment 394199

What they haven't been saying is what effect the Darling is going to have on the water clearing out of the place. As @silentbutdeadly has said, we have nice wide flood plains to help keep the heights down. But there is still a shit-tonne of water to come from the Murrumbidgee upstream of us, and another shit-tonne to come through the Darling downstream of us. And then there's all the rain down south, with already full storages having to release water to make space, we could be under water for a very long time.

Finally, this is my prediction of the size of mosquito that will be roaming the land around January.

View attachment 394200
There's a few limitations in the DEM (digital elevation model) that are obvious and well known but that's looking not much more than last time. But enough to make the punters down along Kings Billabong to the Racecourse nervous. And Wentworth too. The big problem this time will be duration...it probably won't get back down until well into the New Year. And that assuming it doesn't rain again until Xmas...

cammas

Seamstress
For those who having issues with getting your roads fixed after the floods, here’s a sure fire method for getting your council to fix it. I know the damage maybe extensive, so please ensure you buy several cans of paint to save you coming back for touch ups.

78F09779-FCAF-498A-8E65-6078DFC82F18.jpeg