Floor pump

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking for a new one after breaking the old one and there are a million versions. Just not sure if there's much difference between the $20 ones and the $200 ones. I have a digital pressure gauge but would prefer not to use it. What I want is accuracy and with an easy to read dial for around normal mtb pressures (I dont want/need it to go to 1000psi).

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Mas

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yep was thinking about getting one of theirs. There are 20000 versions though but not sure if any noticeable difference
Main one to watch is high and low volumes - you want a high one for seating mtb tubeless. I got the low one for higher roadie pressures, and there’s no way I’d get a tubeless seared with it!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I was reading last night that the inflating chuck screws on and off and people hate that, particularly for tubeless. What’s been your experience?
Its only a problem if your tubeless valves are loose, which makes it a good automatic check.

I've got Lezyne and Topeak pumps and both are very good. What I especially like is that they are fully serviceable and replacement parts are available. If possible get a 200psi + pump. That way you can also use it as a quick shock pump.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

MARKL

Eats Squid
I was reading last night that the inflating chuck screws on and off and people hate that, particularly for tubeless. What’s been your experience?
Even when it doesn't unscrew your valve core it in annoying, when it automatically removes the valve core for you just want to put it through a wall. To make mine a more useful device I have combined it with a Topeak SmartHead, lots of sealing tape and it works well...next time I will just buy the Topeak

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I found the lezyne screw on to be fine so long as you remember to release the hose pressure with the little button. It will hang on the try to remove the valve core if it’s still locked on with the line pressure.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I've got a Lezyne one, think it's an older version of the Alloy Floor Drive. Had it for probably 8 years, just kicking around in ute trays and the garage, gets used heaps and it's never let us down. The flip chuck part is fine, as above I've only had it remove the valve cores if they are already too loose (maybe happened once or twice ever). I think I prefer it to the ones where you flip the lever and it locks on - just seems to seal better. And I like that they have all the spare parts to rebuild the whole thing on the online store.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
That fancy Lezyne pump head is shite. I had to remove it and downgrade to the povo double heal with a lever pump head.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If your valve core comes out, as oddjob says, it was probably a good auto check.
Nothing as infuriating as unscrewing a mini pump on the trail after 900 pumps.

I have both the pumps I linked and the macro has a QR push on Chuck, it's ok... not as positive a connection as the screw on Pro Flip Chuck.

HV pumps are great until you have a bunged up Presta core. If anyone has a way of getting the sealant out without messing up the cores rubber seal, please share.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The Lezyne stuff is crap, they have great features but the over all product is rubbish I've found. I bought a shock pump with the gold coating and I struggle to pump anything over 100psi and the multi tool just rusts from the sweat on your hands.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Still have this pump, use it every weekend to check tyre pressures and it's working just as good as the day I bought it.
Mine too. Still keeping on going. I give it a drop of triflow each year and it keeps working. No need for digital gizmo's on a pump.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The Lezyne stuff is crap, they have great features but the over all product is rubbish I've found. I bought a shock pump with the gold coating and I struggle to pump anything over 100psi and the multi tool just rusts from the sweat on your hands.
Hmm. Not sure that’s enough evidence to make that statement.

I’ve got a Lezyne alloy drive pump and it’s a quality piece of kit (except for that fancy pump head). 3x the service life of any Topeak.

Every topeak multi tool I’ve owned has rusted.

Every mini pump I’ve owned has been a cnut of a thing to get to road pressures or mtb volumes.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hmm. Not sure that’s enough evidence to make that statement.

I’ve got a Lezyne alloy drive pump and it’s a quality piece of kit (except for that fancy pump head). 3x the service life of any Topeak.

Every topeak multi tool I’ve owned has rusted.

Every mini pump I’ve owned has been a cnut of a thing to get to road pressures or mtb volumes.
I had the TLD shock pump until I ran it over and it worked a lot better than the more expensive Lezyne, the piston and shaft size is wrong on the Lezyne and you need a lot of effort to drive it, shaft is flimsy and binds, the coupling on it is too small for your fingers which makes it hard to remove, then it binds when you go to remove it because it's tight on the hose end, bad design if I've every seen one, my other multi tools look great after using them for many years. Well, that's my experience with the brand.

[Edit] Forgot to mention the lezyne bike pump I carry in my backpack that constantly vibrates itself apart all the time and the coupling doesn't work very well on presta stems either on it.

Last edited: