Floor pump

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Here the two different heads on the Lezyne pumps... and the rest of the track pumps that are in current use.

The big one at the front is a Topeak JoeBlow mountain from a few years back, the head wears out, this is a new head fitted a few months back but the Lezyne Digital pumps are just too easy to use, same pressure every time... yeah the heads are a bit of work but the build and action of the Lezyne are a head above any other one I have had.

BTW the Blackburn at the back is 11yrs old and still going strong, the only issue with it is it bends Presta valve cores if you push it down too hard.

The JoeBlow gauge reads about 12psi low at 30psi, compared to the Topeak digital gauge which is attached to it by a rope and the other rope is a shock pump.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Here the two different heads on the Lezyne pumps... and the rest of the track pumps that are in current use.

The big one at the front is a Topeak JoeBlow mountain from a few years back, the head wears out, this is a new head fitted a few months back but the Lezyne Digital pumps are just too easy to use, same pressure every time... yeah the heads are a bit of work but the build and action of the Lezyne are a head above any other one I have had.

BTW the Blackburn at the back is 11yrs old and still going strong, the only issue with it is it bends Presta valve cores if you push it down too hard.

The JoeBlow gauge reads about 12psi low at 30psi, compared to the Topeak digital gauge which is attached to it by a rope and the other rope is a shock pump.

View attachment 355106View attachment 355107
Why do you need so many pumps ? I have seven bikes and only 1 floor pump that does all the work.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm. Not sure that’s enough evidence to make that statement.

I’ve got a Lezyne alloy drive pump and it’s a quality piece of kit (except for that fancy pump head). 3x the service life of any Topeak.
Yeah I gotta say I have a Lezyne floor alloy and it has been basically faultless for the better part of a decade.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Why do you need so many pumps ? I have seven bikes and only 1 floor pump that does all the work.
Picked them up over the years, the $15 silver one used to stay in the caravan. The Blackburn is 11yrs old and still works well, the JoeBlow is about 5yrs old and recently got a new head, the 220psi Lezyne macro digital is a couple of years old and we used it every ride, then picked up the 60psi Lezyne digital overdrive which is higher volume, got it for about $60 on sale at HiBike a while back.

With 3 of us getting ready to ride at the same time and me pretty anal about them pumping their tyres to the correct pressure, a pump each is a handy.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
My addition to this experience is that the basic Lezyne screw-on pump head is both a simple thing to use and a source of utter frustration.

I got mine as just the pump head and fitted to a generic floor pump from Torpedo7...fits any valve you care to name. But after a while it just locks up on its own hose and becomes a frustrating fucker to use.

I've also got an SKS floor pump. The multi fit head was a marvel until I realised it doesn't like rubber coated Schrader valves. Then it stopped liking Schrader valves altogether. At which point I've picked up another head for it. I also put a much more appropriately scaled gauge on it too (oil filled no less).

My lesson is that all floor pumps are actually shit but some are probably less shit than others but I haven't figured out which ones...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Bought a Specialized Air Tool floor pump about 10 years ago - the roadie version that can do 160psi. It’s been faultless with zero maintenance. The head sometimes takes a couple of tries to attach correctly to shorter valve stems but has always sealed well once right.

I’m not as fussy with tyre pressure so an analog gauge is fine. It might not indicate actual pressure (never checked) but it’s repeatable so once you find your sweet spot you simply see where you are on the gauge and inflate to that pressure from then on.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Have found the Topeak Joe Blow fairly good .
All pumps require maintenance long term even if its only o rings , rubber grommets and some lube.
Still have a Silca pump from last century just replace rubbers.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Have found the Topeak Joe Blow fairly good .
All pumps require maintenance long term even if its only o rings , rubber grommets and some lube.
Still have a Silca pump from last century just replace rubbers.
If it's a proper Silca pump, the seal washers will be leather not rubber

Flow-Rider

Burner
Picked them up over the years, the $15 silver one used to stay in the caravan. The Blackburn is 11yrs old and still works well, the JoeBlow is about 5yrs old and recently got a new head, the 220psi Lezyne macro digital is a couple of years old and we used it every ride, then picked up the 60psi Lezyne digital overdrive which is higher volume, got it for about $60 on sale at HiBike a while back.

With 3 of us getting ready to ride at the same time and me pretty anal about them pumping their tyres to the correct pressure, a pump each is a handy.
Fair enough :).

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay got my new pump delivered today and got to say I am very impressed with the topeak joeblow mountain x.
It is big, very solid construction, and pumps a lot of air. The dial is easy to read and has a little yellow tab that swings around so you can clearly mark the pressure you want. The lever flip is easy on and off. And it is spot on accurate compared to my gauge.

They seem pretty newly out and I could only find 1 aus seller on ebay with it. Cost $90 plus delivery.
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/floor-pumps/1203-joeblow--mountain-x

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Okay got my new pump delivered today and got to say I am very impressed with the topeak joeblow mountain x.
It is big, very solid construction, and pumps a lot of air. The dial is easy to read and has a little yellow tab that swings around so you can clearly mark the pressure you want. The lever flip is easy on and off. And it is spot on accurate compared to my gauge.

They seem pretty newly out and I could only find 1 aus seller on ebay with it. Cost $90 plus delivery.
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/floor-pumps/1203-joeblow--mountain-x
Just ordered one from the same supplier, thanks for the info.

Do not buy JetBlack - it's plastic crap.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Used the new pump a few times now and really like it. Will see how it goes long term.