Floor varnish - water or oil based?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The brains trust around here has dealt with more obscure things before...

Having floorboards done - what type of varnish is best?

Jpez

Down on the left!
The brains trust around here has dealt with more obscure things before...

Having floorboards done - what type of varnish is best?
Oil based is probably more hard wearing in the longer term but turns a horrible orange colour after time. High quality water based looks so much more natural and actually brightens up a room.
We have a 50’s house with Tas Oak boards that were oil based. When the sun shone in it would reflect off the floor and give the room an orange hue.
got it re done in water based and it’s a 1000000% improvement. Highlights the natural grain and feature in the timber.
It does appear to ding and wear just a little quicker but we have a five year old so it gets a hard life.
For me it water based FTW

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Water based FTW. Less odour when applying and easier to reapply when it wears. There are also natural wax based products from Osmo that are worth looking into. Call Thor's Hammer and they will give you the 'good oil'.

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Had our 17year old boards sanded and water based satin varnished late last year. Looks great, walk on it quickly. But it does scratch easier.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Yep, done two floors in houses and water based is the go. A two pack product is better for longevity, like this one. My preference is for a satin finish, as the gloss finishes highlight every single mark.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Both the products and support from Livos and Osmo for floorboard oil are excellent. Products are pricey but coverage is spectacular.

If you want a coating style product then the entrance hall floor of Parliament House is protected by Bona Traffic...go with that.

Personally, we used Intergrain Natural Timber Oil on our last floor (Tas Oak). This time around on the adobe floor...I'm using Livos and/or shellac as a patch repair

Haakon

Cool, thanks guys. I didn’t realise there was a 2 pack water based... Initially interested in the oil for its longevity in a house I'm renting out, but I do like the water based for it’s not yellowing things - they’re quite nice Tassie Oak boards.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
2 pack from Polycure is also low VOC, which is always nice.

long ago I had floors sanded and sealed by the lowest bidder. Neighbours complained about the stink, their house was a good 50 meters away. We had moved all the furniture out, and went on holidays leaving all doors and windows open in summer.

Haakon

Out of a quote thats the best part of $4K (whole house except kitchen and including removing/dumpign all the carpet), its only 300 more for 2 pack water over oil - seems like its worth it.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Our kitchen benchtop was done with a water based varnish and it's excellent, look natural and its hard wearing too. Oh and no yellow tinge to worry about!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Redoing garden furniture. Using a Wattyl water based decking oil. It is really very good stuff. Not a floor I know but really happy. Though I was / am having issues with the airless spray and have been running a brush over after spraying to get rid of the lumpy bits. Played around with settings and it is ok but still needs a bit of tlc. Read the destructions this morning. Not suitable for spraying, recommend brush or pad. Ah well. Spray plus comb over is still 10x quicker than brushing and I have a lot left to do (two more tables and 16 chairs...).

Water based paints and oils are good juju these days.

teK--

Eats Squid
Depends on the colour of the timber and what you are trying to achieve.

We have pine boards which were very light in colour. we wanted a slight tint to it. Ended up going with Tung oil based polyurethane which is hard wearing but does take longer to dry inbetween coats. We even did it over Winter and just left a bar heater on overnight in the house to keep the temps up.

It was very easy to apply without any streaking, and has has left a deep golden shimmering colour to the timber and not yellowed over time.

Aside from the average quality sanding job that we also did ourselves, you wouldn't be able to tell it was a first timer who applied the sealant. 3 coats and 8 years later it is still wearing very well (we don't wear shoes inside).

Attachments

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Had our pine floorboards done about 8 years ago with a polyurethane oil, smell was so bad we stayed at in-laws place (they were overseas) house for a week. On the way to work would pop into house open all the windows and close on way home.
If we were to do it again would go water based or look into a low VOC oil but the floorboards still look good apart from a few dings from furniture being moved about.

Haakon

I’m also considering that (from what I can tell) the water based is easier to touch up etc later on (ie post tenants).

Smell isn’t a big issue as I don’t think we will get tenants in before the smell fades either way...

teK--

Eats Squid
Had our pine floorboards done about 8 years ago with a polyurethane oil, smell was so bad we stayed at in-laws place (they were overseas) house for a week. On the way to work would pop into house open all the windows and close on way home.
If we were to do it again would go water based or look into a low VOC oil but the floorboards still look good apart from a few dings from furniture being moved about.
definitely the drying fumes were noticeable but the house was empty for weeks whilst renovating so it mostly cleared by the time we moved in. I would guess that a 2 pack finish would be even worse though.

if doing an occupied house I would likely opt for a water based too.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Make sure you get a low VOC product if you have anything inside the place whilst it is being done. Neighbours of mine had an insurance job done on their place after floor damage to the lounge. Because it was just in one area they just shifted stuff out of the way. I don't know exactly which product was used, but it clearly wasn't a low VOC type, because it killed off most of their house plants they left in the room, and impregnated all of their soft furnishings with the odour. It took months before the smell went away.

Haakon

Make sure you get a low VOC product if you have anything inside the place whilst it is being done. Neighbours of mine had an insurance job done on their place after floor damage to the lounge. Because it was just in one area they just shifted stuff out of the way. I don't know exactly which product was used, but it clearly wasn't a low VOC type, because it killed off most of their house plants they left in the room, and impregnated all of their soft furnishings with the odour. It took months before the smell went away.
The house in my case is very much empty, so no issue there :)