Floor varnish - water or oil based?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
yeah... just in time for the market to go tits up. great timing... :rolleyes:
Tell me about it.......
It's cool though, you have a secure job atleast. Think of future haakers! Is this a house you'll be moving into later?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Tell me about it.......
It's cool though, you have a secure job atleast. Think of future haakers! Is this a house you'll be moving into later?
you bought recently too? Yeah, just my luck... oh well, just means I’ll be hanging onto to it longer I guess. And hopefully Hobart won’t be hit as bad, I don’t think the trend of people wanting to get out of Melbourne and Sydney and go to tassie will stop anything soon.

Yes, move down in a year or two. But not the forever home, just an entry into Hobart. There is a fair bit of value I can add to it myself over a couple of years, longer term i would like to find a nice bit of land around Hobart and build.

Ultra Lord

you bought recently too? Yeah, just my luck... oh well, just means I’ll be hanging onto to it longer I guess. And hopefully Hobart won’t be hit as bad, I don’t think the trend of people wanting to get out of Melbourne and Sydney and go to tassie will stop anything soon.

Yes, move down in a year or two. But not the forever home, just an entry into Hobart. There is a fair bit of value I can add to it myself over a couple of years, longer term i would like to find a nice bit of land around Hobart and build.
Year and a half ago. Bought it to be a home and didn't really pay attention to market trends or worried about value dropping, looked at the house and went "oooooh this is nice", lowballed an offer and they took it.

Leased it out now. Can't sell it because I'll lose waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much moneys.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
yeah... just in time for the market to go tits up. great timing... :rolleyes:

Fuck me .... You're never happy. Congratulations on finally getting your hands on it. There hasn't been a better time to enslave yourself to debt in a long time. Enjoy those low interest rates and let those tenants worry about your repayments!

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
We went for a matt wax type finish on our old tas oak floors on advice of a floor sander. Shows less of the imperfections and appears cleaner for longer. Been happy as with it for 5years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
anybody know approximate costs to have a timber floor sanded and sealed? I’m in Canberra and have a typical 1970s Canberra 3 bedroom house with tassie oak floorboards throughout except bathroom, kitchen and laundry.

Haakon

Fuck that’s cheap!
sorry, bit closer to 4K actually. Total bill was about $5K, but that was with having a couple of big sections with damage replaced with matches recycled board. And was using the expensive 2 pack water lacquer.

I think I got taken for a ride a bit on the repair, but nothing I could do about that from afar.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Big gap
sorry, bit closer to 4K actually. Total bill was about $5K, but that was with having a couple of big sections with damage replaced with matches recycled board. And was using the expensive 2 pack water lacquer.

I think I got taken for a ride a bit on the repair, but nothing I could do about that from afar.
$3 to $5000

Ultra Lord

Tax write off cause tennants?
It looks good. I’d be pretty stoked if that was my floor.

Haakon

Tax write off cause tennants?
It looks good. I’d be pretty stoked if that was my floor.
Alas no - can write it off during a tenancy, not before... But yes, they came up nicely. Will come up better when we eventually move in and do the rest of the renos, tenants will have to cope with the wallpaper in the meantime!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Alas no - can write it off during a tenancy, not before... But yes, they came up nicely. Will come up better when we eventually move in and do the rest of the renos, tenants will have to cope with the wallpaper in the meantime!
Don't tell me you have engaged in property maintenance without your property at least being advertised for lease?

Flor looks great. Love the look of your original mantle and air-conditioning place. Looks like the perfect spot to sit back with a cigar and Cognac on those come winter nights in front of the roaring air-conditioner.

Haakon

Don't tell me you have engaged in property maintenance without your property at least being advertised for lease?

Flor looks great. Love the look of your original mantle and air-conditioning place. Looks like the perfect spot to sit back with a cigar and Cognac on those come winter nights in front of the roaring air-conditioner.
Sadly the carpet was pretty feral... Bare minimum repairs for leasing out.

Haha, yes - that will be gone and the fireplace reinstated when the ducted heating goes in. Now I want a cognac..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sadly the carpet was pretty feral... Bare minimum repairs for leasing out.
I don't think you understand. In which case I recommend you get a better agent.

Actually skip the Cognac, get the st Agnes 15 or 20 year to suit your pocket money. It's Tasmanian and amazing.

Haakon

I don't think you understand. In which case I recommend you get a better agent.

Actually skip the Cognac, get the st Agnes 15 or 20 year to suit your pocket money. It's Tasmanian and amazing.
It’s not maintenance or repairs and not deductible according to both the agent and the accountant.