Flying with bikes with Virgin

Campy

Likes Bikes
Hi all
Heading to Derby soon with the bike and it will be around 24kg in an EVOC bag. The baggage allowance is 23kg and you used to be able to buy additional weight (up to 32kg max) and stuff all your gear in with the bike but now you have to buy an extra 23kg bag and put your gear in that. The second bag will be way less than 23kg but anyone know how strict they are on the 23kg bike bag? Hard to take much weight off it apart from pedals to get to 23kg....
Cheers
Chris

LPG

likes thicc birds
Rear shock could be removed fairly easily, could be 500-900g. Also if you will need a new chain you can get it to the right length and attach at the other end.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I just went through this with Virgin.

10 of us went on a trip to Tassie, all arriving at the airport with various bikes and bags.

Before I went I meticulously worked out how to get the bike to 23kg.

So I removed pedals, rotors and chain... believe it or not, its nearly 1kg.

Bit of info from this post forward.

When I arrived at the airport and met my mate, with an ENR Craftworks in an EVOC Pro bag. I asked what he took out... Nothing.

Crafty and Pro bag weighs 27kg at least.

So they slap both bags with a 23kg sticker and send us down to oversize baggage. Mine weighs 23kg, his weighs 27kg+

As long as your total checked baggage does not exceed 23kg + 23kg, they dont care. So if your bike bag is 30kg, only have 16kg checked baggage.

EDIT: Final weigh in.

Campy

Likes Bikes
I just went through this with Virgin.

10 of us went on a trip to Tassie, all arriving at the airport with various bikes and bags.

Before I went I meticulously worked out how to get the bike to 23kg.

So I removed pedals, rotors and chain... believe it or not, its nearly 1kg.

Bit of info from this post forward.

When I arrived at the airport and met my mate, with an ENR Craftworks in an EVOC Pro bag. I asked what he took out... Nothing.

Crafty and Pro bag weighs 27kg at least.

So they slap both bags with a 23kg sticker and send us down to oversize baggage. Mine weighs 23kg, his weighs 27kg+

As long as your total checked baggage does not exceed 23kg + 23kg, they dont care. So if your bike bag is 30kg, only have 16kg checked baggage.

EDIT: Final weigh in.

Ha! I hope this is always the case at the gate - I spoke to a lady on the phone and she said both bags must be under 23kg. I said 'so I need to move some from one bag to another?' and she said 'yes'. FFS.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ha! I hope this is always the case at the gate - I spoke to a lady on the phone and she said both bags must be under 23kg. I said 'so I need to move some from one bag to another?' and she said 'yes'. FFS.
There was 10 of us with bikes in bags and I reckon I was the only mug at 23kg.

Everyone else had bikes, tools, helmets and shoes in their bike bags.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
That is a game of roulette though. It all depends on the staff member you encounter. Some will be lax, but the saga, drama, and expense if you don't get served by a chill check-in, make it a gamble I don't take.

I, personally have seen a number of people stitched full tote odds, for being just over 24kg.

But I have never seen any issues under 24. So long as it is 23 point something.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Kind of related...I don't often fly with a bike but I fly regularly enough with snow gear (speaking of which, anyone looking for a better Easter than ever before should hit me up for a snow holiday in Japan). Most of the airlines I have flown with have a max per item based on whs for staff around 30-35kg, most commonly 32kg. I also encountered this moving from Perth back to Newcastle with 2 bikes. The awkward airport box juggling was avoidable with some forethought.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
If you’re travelling Economy with a little extra weight, fees will apply at the airport to any piece over 23kg up to 32kg.
An Overweight Baggage fee of $50 will apply to each piece of baggage weighing over 23kg (maximum 32kg).

Worst case you get hit with a $50 excess weight fee. Happened to one of us flying Brisbane to Launceston.
Depends on luck at the check in counter really.
My XXL Hightower in an EVOC Bike Bag Pro weighs 24kg and they usually let me through.
My wifes M Levo SL minus the main battery weighs 27kg in the same bag but we have been fortunate to get through without charge but am prepared to pay the $50 if required.

Campy

Likes Bikes
If you’re travelling Economy with a little extra weight, fees will apply at the airport to any piece over 23kg up to 32kg.
An Overweight Baggage fee of $50 will apply to each piece of baggage weighing over 23kg (maximum 32kg).

Worst case you get hit with a $50 excess weight fee. Happened to one of us flying Brisbane to Launceston.
Depends on luck at the check in counter really.
My XXL Hightower in an EVOC Bike Bag Pro weighs 24kg and they usually let me through.
My wifes M Levo SL minus the main battery weighs 27kg in the same bag but we have been fortunate to get through without charge but am prepared to pay the $50 if required.
Yep - just returned from Derby and check-in staff confirmed the standard line is $50 if 24kg to 32kg. No extra if 23.9kg.