Flying with lube, sealant, brake fluid, etc

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Heading to Tassie tomorrow. Trying to work out what spares, etc, to take.

What have burners’ experiences been with airport security and items like:

- lube (Rock ‘n Roll Gold)
- sealant (Stans)
- hydraulic fluid (Reverb bleed kit)
- brake fluid (Shimano mineral oil)

Bike + Evoc bag = 23kg, so any of above would be in separate checked luggage or as carry-on.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In checked baggage it should all be okay.
If you try to take it in carry on you will likely run into trouble and have to dump it all at security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's flammability they'll worry about. Anything there declare it's flammable?

I had a similar question re: flying with Rain-X. I was going to take a little bottle with me for the hire car but it clearly said it was flammable so didn't take the risk.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Heading to Tassie tomorrow. Trying to work out what spares, etc, to take.

What have burners’ experiences been with airport security and items like:

- lube (Rock ‘n Roll Gold)
- sealant (Stans)
- hydraulic fluid (Reverb bleed kit)
- brake fluid (Shimano mineral oil)

Bike + Evoc bag = 23kg, so any of above would be in separate checked luggage or as carry-on.
Don’t do the carry on with bottles of fluid. They’ll see the warning labels and just bin em.
Even if it isn’t flammable.

I flew back with em in my bike bag and had zero dramas. Just had to buy a new bottle once I landed in tassie.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I've never had issues carrying chain lube, grease or sealant on a flight. Never tried carrying hydraulic oil. I'd make sure you carry small quantities in small containers.

Having said that I'm sure there are people who would remove them from your bag if they knew they were there and advise you not to take it with you. None of it is likely to be as flammable as perfume that is everywhere at the airport. There isn't a comprehensive list of rules that I've seen about what can and can't be put on a plane that I've seen and the grey area seems to be up to the person in charge.

My advice:

1 - Keep it in a container less than 100ml even if it is in your checked baggage
2 - Put it in your checked baggage with the bike/bike tools so that it is clear what it is for (and to not make it stand out in the x rays in case you get someone who is having a bad day)

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
As others have said, stick them in your checked bag with other bike stuff and it will be fine. NEVER ask once through security. I saw a couple get booted off a flight in Hobart because they declared at the gate they had CO2 canisters in their checked bags. The security guy was honest enough to admit that if they had've declared them at check in there would've been no dramas, but because they didn't it was considered a 'security breach' therefore they required bikes to be offloaded and double checked.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i have thre chance to quick trip down to derby, what bout wearing bike shoes with metalcleats [flats], as i don't have time for anything else than a couple of quick rides, i don't need other shoes???
PS is it a no to multi tools in your carry on luggage?
[i really should fly more]

petertronica

Likes Dirt
i have thre chance to quick trip down to derby, what bout wearing bike shoes with metalcleats [flats], as i don't have time for anything else than a couple of quick rides, i don't need other shoes???
PS is it a no to multi tools in your carry on luggage?
[i really should fly more]
Definitely no to a multitool. They made me bin mine at the point they scan your hand luggage at Melb airport.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Definitely no to a multitool. They made me bin mine at the point they scan your hand luggage at Melb airport.
accidentally left my spare multi tool in my carry on bag at launceston yesterday - they called me staright over as they siad something suspicious was scanned, he had trouble finding it in the botom of my backpack but the old guy hadn't seen one before -he wouldn't let me tiuch the bag or it at first but he didn't know how it worked, i told him you pull off the 2 allen key wrenches, & showed him the pihilips driver, how the chain tool worked -he let me put it back i the abg & walk saright on --lucky

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The tassie security staff are the least wound up I’ve come across, still happy to have a chat.

I somehow get profiled for an explosives swab everywhere I fly.

Once I tested positive for Thorium, an alpha radioactive material. Almost had my arm dislocated when the pulled me into the interview room.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just chuck chain lube in my bike bag.
Several trips to Tas, never needed hydraulic, brake or stans. If I did, I'd just buy it there.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I somehow get profiled for an explosives swab everywhere I fly.
First swab of my bike bag on the way home yesterday from Tas registered for TNT, haha. A retest came up clear.
I was thankful as I was minutes from missing my flight.