for some reason

glassjaw

Likes Dirt
i want to do a charity ride. a long ride on a dh bike to raise moeny for youth suicide. how do i do such a thing? does anybody know? youth suicide is getting out of hand, the more help poeple have the better us youths will be. who wants to come?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Sounds like a great cause, Wellsley! If you want to look at what charity rides are out there, try reading "Australian Cyclist" magazine. They sell it at newsagents or you get a free subscription if you're a member of Bicycling NSW (which I am)

It's not too interesting if all you're into is DH/FR/NS/DJ, but it's definitely the place to look for charity rides, not to mention mellow MTBing, touring, commuting, and activism. I get it with my membership, so what the hey! AND I'm always commuting by bicycle.

Ty

Eats Squid
wellsley myself and ryan did that kind of thing in 98 and 99. basically find the organization that will be receiving the money and start from there, they should have there own public relations department who can get the ball rolling in the way of major sponsors and maybe even give you a bit of money so that you can start to promote your ride. then of course you need to setup your support crew, plan the trip, get out there and try and stir up some publicity (local paper, community notice boards etc).

I hope this helps

Here is the thread containing the news paper clipping from when ryan and I did our trip for the school of distance education, it was pretty cool because we actually got to meet the people who we were riding for (parents and kids who lived on stations who use school of the air) along the way and they always welcomed us with open arms.

http://www.farkin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1522&highlight=cairns+kar*

Ty

Eats Squid
well i managed 750 km on a cannondale super V with z.1 bombers in 6 days. so i reckon you could do just under 100 kms a day on a DH rig with slicks (it's not worth evening trying on DH tires IMHO)

i also met a chick who road from perth to sydney then sydney to brisbane to raise awareness for food radition on a beach crusier, that took her over 4 months.

G

woah that sounds hardcore ty well done.

Wellsley the charity ride sounds like a good idea. props to you for even thinking about giving something to the community and for such a good cause im sure you wont have difficulty finding people to ride with you

glassjaw

Likes Dirt
nope, it was a on the moment decision when i was thinking about my friend, poor fella. i want to go from like brissy to sydney and back or something, but i dunno

glassjaw

Likes Dirt
thanks for the support people, im gonna need to start training. im buggered after a game of football. :shock:

glassjaw

Likes Dirt
yeah, i just need a seat brake lever and chain guide and i can ride again. btu yeah, im gonna need ot knuckel down. if all goes to plan it will take place in december/janurary holidays. just gotta make some emails and shit. thanks again for the support, if u want to join me yell out