For those who use a Contour HD camera while Downhilling.

jimbo666

Likes Dirt
I recently bought a Contour HD 1080P camera.
After using it yesterday afternoon, i reviewed the footage & found it quite jumpy (frame rate?). It also rattled a fair bit on my helmet.
I was impressed with the resolution but not the flow of the footage.
It was goggle mounted & i was using a 16gb sandisk micro SDHC card.
The settings i used were-

Mode: Action HD - 780p
Res: 1280 x 780
Bit rate: Low
Frame rate: 60 FPS

I'm wanting to know what video settings others use?
Best mounting options?
Any other tips.

Thanks in advance,
Jimbo

T-Rex

Template denier
T-rex Junior uses one of these a fair bit. Not sure about the settings he uses but the images look pretty good.

One thing we figured out after a while is the "rattling" was the little plastic thingy on the safety strap banging on the side of his helmet. Easy to fix, just tuck it under the goggle strap, and now the videos are a lot quieter.

Grundos

Likes Dirt
I've found that the playback always appears jumpy when viewed on Contour Storyteller; it looks much better when viewed on Quicktime, Media Player or You Tube.
Also, if using the goggle mount, a good trick is to get some velcro strips and stick them to your helmet and goggle mount to make the camera rattle around less.

Gaz85

Likes Dirt
ive used the stick on mounts while riding moto's. Didnt come off, even when i smashed the camera into the ground it just broke the bit that attaches to the camera.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive used the stick on mounts while riding moto's. Didnt come off, even when i smashed the camera into the ground it just broke the bit that attaches to the camera.
well thats a positive. i guess kinda

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do they handle DH well?
im a little paranoid about the stick on mounts.
They handle DH well, I thought it would be a good idea to set mine up Under (yes under) my seat to view the rear wheel but mis-hit the first jump and the rear wheel hit the camera braking the vented helmet mount i was using. Camera still works great.

I did notice the camera was jumoing a round a little when i first got it but then tightened my goggles and the camera doesnt move much any more.

T-rex is right about the "Ticking" noise it gave me the SH**s until i figured out what it was

jimbo666

Likes Dirt
I've found that the playback always appears jumpy when viewed on Contour Storyteller; it looks much better when viewed on Quicktime, Media Player or You Tube.
Also, if using the goggle mount, a good trick is to get some velcro strips and stick them to your helmet and goggle mount to make the camera rattle around less.
Great tip Grundos. i found windows media played it perfectly while quicktime was still a little jumpy but much beter than storyteller. (possibly due to all my codec's being up to date in WMP???)
Heading out for a ride day @ Apollo Bay tomorrow so i'll try the velcro tip too.
cheers

Last edited:

boofy

Likes Bikes
i use vlc media player. it plays flawlessly. i also use the helmet mount and just use some velcro cable loops wrapped arount the camera to stop the rattle/movement. works fine. note, these also seem to work better than the gopro hd. better colours in my opinion. i use a gopro sd for my rc cars (hpi baja 5b) and it works great for that as it is indistructable but is not as easy to use.

$ean

Likes Dirt
i use vlc media player. it plays flawlessly. i also use the helmet mount and just use some velcro cable loops wrapped arount the camera to stop the rattle/movement. works fine. note, these also seem to work better than the gopro hd. better colours in my opinion. i use a gopro sd for my rc cars (hpi baja 5b) and it works great for that as it is indistructable but is not as easy to use.
I remember when i raced On-Road RC cars (HotBodies Cyclone ,HPI pro 4) and I used the GoPro in a race and they work nicely with all the vibrations going through the car.:cool:

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have had the same problem with my old vholdr. i think it has to do with the memory card.
you need at least a class 6 or better from what i understand.... most cards that are sold in shops are class 4.

try www.staticice.com.au and do a search for class 10 micro sd.

that should fix it!

boofy

Likes Bikes
I remember when i raced On-Road RC cars (HotBodies Cyclone ,HPI pro 4) and I used the GoPro in a race and they work nicely with all the vibrations going through the car.:cool:

here is a video i took yesterday with the gopro on my baja 5b 1/5th scale petrol buggy. i would prefer the video quality of the contour hd, but i am not putting it on these for reasons you will see in the video (crashes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKYBbH3UFfo

with regards to the contour hd, check my youtube videos as i have a few of them from riding down trails in bunya.