Rear hub – Chris King
Front rim – Zipp 3Zero Moto
Rear rim - Zipp 3Zero Moto
Front tyre – Goodyear Newton ST 2.6 EN Ultimate
Rear tyre – Goodyear Newton 2.6 DH Ultimate
Tubes - nein
Total weight – Less than you. Probably

379569 379570 379579379571 379580

It's hard to know where to start with this, especially given I've had all of two rides so far and the second one got rained out. The initial plan was to replace my Ibis with something substantially bigger (physically rather than maxtreme endurbro - travel is nearly identical to the HD4) as I find the newer reach-is-everything-with-a-postcode-wheelbase geometry actually suits me really well. Equally however, I didn't want an inert tank that only comes alive when you're either threatening the sound barrier or plummeting through 20ft chutes - some versatility was needed. Initially, the new Transition Sentinel seemed to tick all the boxes. Other stuff like the GG Gnarvana and Raaw Madonna were also promising but felt like a bit of a gamble buying sight unseen. Then the Dreadnought sprung up and unlike the Druid actually had a properly sized XL frame. Initial reviews (not just from the shills but early owners) were very promising, especially from larger lads who'd swapped out SB150s and Enduros for some High Pivot goodness. I was still dithering, but then a black XL frame may have arrived at my LBS at a very tempting price, some man maths happened and here we are.

Spec basically caters for my addiction to bike bling and whether 2 Minute Noodles offer sustainable nutrition. Ridiculous overkill considering both the terrain it's going to be threatening and my complete lack of riding ability? Absolutely. But you can't race a house.

Initial impressions are promising. First rides were on Yarra Trails which may sound like the equivalent of entering an M1A2 Abrams into the Finke Desert Race but bear with me. Whilst having a supertanker rivalling wheelbase the bike doesn't feel it, shrinking around you and feeling manoeuvrable and fun on mellow singletrack – a real surprise. It's hefty (duh) but again only really felt when physically picking the bike up - on the move it seems fine and pedals with a bit of spark, like it wants you to put the power down and will reward any effort which is generally the mark of a great bike. I can't comment on descending prowess as I've yet to really test it, but first thoughts are it feels composed and predictable when things get steep. What's been really impressive has been the climbing. It really seems to encourage out of the saddle efforts rather than sit and spin, especially if things are bit technical. Still a fair bit of faffing with suspension set up to go (I think front and rear rebound need winding off a touch). Fox 38s feel very solid and amazingly responsive. 223mm rotors look silly but mess with the earth’s rotation when applied which is fun. Can't wait to take it somewhere decent to test it properly.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Fark that looks SO GOOD. Nice to hear it rides lighter than it looks - certainly aligns with other reviews I've read recently. I'm sure you'll love riding it around Candlebark Park for the next 12 months :p

Edit: gimme a call when you decide it's time for new wheels.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Looks awesome. Great spec. Was going to call dibs on any future sale action but looks like @Oddjob is already plotting to prise it from your hands at the first opportunity...

I'm stuck in inner Melbs riding bike paths and crappy Yarra trails too :(

I may have stretched the 5km boundary slightly the other day and ridden at Plenty Gorge. Could be an option if you need to I've it a better test.

HindleJ

Squid
Very nice rig, would love to have a look in person.

Definitely one I have been eyeing off, some reviews say it climbs like a tank so I have been holding off.

moorey

call me Mia
Definitely one I have been eyeing off, some reviews say it climbs like a tank so I have been holding off.
Not comparing apples to apples....but the more I ride my ENR, the more I think it seemed like hard work because I was expecting it to.

1. I'm swapping back and forward with a bike that's same travel, but a lot lighter and with smaller better rolling tyres.
  2. The difference between the feel of an orange, and the feel of the HSP is about as different as possible.

I'm definitely reaching for the climb switch more on the ENR...but when I forget, I really don't notice until I do.

teK--

Eats Squid
View attachment 379567

View attachment 379568

Frame – 2021 Forbidden Dreadnought XL
Rear shock – Push Elevensix; 400lb spring
Front shock/fork – 170mm Fox 38 Factory Grip2
Handlebars – One Up Components; 780mm width, 35mm clamp, 20mm rise
Stem – Burgtec Mk3 40mm
Headset – Chris King
Grips – Burgtec Bartender Pro Minnaar ones
Saddle – Burgtec The Cloud
Seatpost – Fox Transfer 31.6 – 200mm
Front brake – TRP DHR Evo
Rear brake - TRP DHR Evo
Rotors – TRP 223mm (f/r)
Cranks – Sram X01 170mm
Chainguide – E13
Chain – Sram XX1
Pedals – Burgtec Penthouse Mk5, silver
Rear derailleur – Sram Eagle X01
Rear shifter – Sram Eagle XX1
Cassette – Sram XX1 10-52
Front hub – Chris King
Rear hub – Chris King
Front rim – Zipp 3Zero Moto
Rear rim - Zipp 3Zero Moto
Front tyre – Goodyear Newton ST 2.6 EN Ultimate
Rear tyre – Goodyear Newton 2.6 DH Ultimate
Tubes - nein
Total weight – Less than you. Probably

View attachment 379569 View attachment 379570 View attachment 379579View attachment 379571 View attachment 379580

It's hard to know where to start with this, especially given I've had all of two rides so far and the second one got rained out. The initial plan was to replace my Ibis with something substantially bigger (physically rather than maxtreme endurbro - travel is nearly identical to the HD4) as I find the newer reach-is-everything-with-a-postcode-wheelbase geometry actually suits me really well. Equally however, I didn't want an inert tank that only comes alive when you're either threatening the sound barrier or plummeting through 20ft chutes - some versatility was needed. Initially, the new Transition Sentinel seemed to tick all the boxes. Other stuff like the GG Gnarvana and Raaw Madonna were also promising but felt like a bit of a gamble buying sight unseen. Then the Dreadnought sprung up and unlike the Druid actually had a properly sized XL frame. Initial reviews (not just from the shills but early owners) were very promising, especially from larger lads who'd swapped out SB150s and Enduros for some High Pivot goodness. I was still dithering, but then a black XL frame may have arrived at my LBS at a very tempting price, some man maths happened and here we are.

Spec basically caters for my addiction to bike bling and whether 2 Minute Noodles offer sustainable nutrition. Ridiculous overkill considering both the terrain it's going to be threatening and my complete lack of riding ability? Absolutely. But you can't race a house.

Initial impressions are promising. First rides were on Yarra Trails which may sound like the equivalent of entering an M1A2 Abrams into the Finke Desert Race but bear with me. Whilst having a supertanker rivalling wheelbase the bike doesn't feel it, shrinking around you and feeling manoeuvrable and fun on mellow singletrack – a real surprise. It's hefty (duh) but again only really felt when physically picking the bike up - on the move it seems fine and pedals with a bit of spark, like it wants you to put the power down and will reward any effort which is generally the mark of a great bike. I can't comment on descending prowess as I've yet to really test it, but first thoughts are it feels composed and predictable when things get steep. What's been really impressive has been the climbing. It really seems to encourage out of the saddle efforts rather than sit and spin, especially if things are bit technical. Still a fair bit of faffing with suspension set up to go (I think front and rear rebound need winding off a touch). Fox 38s feel very solid and amazingly responsive. 223mm rotors look silly but mess with the earth’s rotation when applied which is fun. Can't wait to take it somewhere decent to test it properly.

View attachment 379574
No expense spared... Beautiful build mate

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Not sure why there are so many off topic posts in this thread?

I generally find if you don't want to use weedkiller for environmental or health concerns, boiling the kettle and pouring it between the pavers will sort out the problem pretty quickly.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Thanks all for the enthusiasm :D very very happy with it so far.

Fark that looks SO GOOD. Nice to hear it rides lighter than it looks - certainly aligns with other reviews I've read recently. I'm sure you'll love riding it around Candlebark Park for the next 12 months :p
Steady on. I went to Candlebark once and there was a small hill that had an elevation.
I'll be in my corner swooning, just in case you decide to fulfil my unreasonable desire.
...but it has Chris King on it. Also Fox. Don't you hate those things? Also yes isn't a G1 currently dribbling its way here?
Too nice! I applaud your choices Sir!
Can't imagine what convinced me to get it out of dry dock early ;)
I'm stuck in inner Melbs riding bike paths and crappy Yarra trails too :(

I may have stretched the 5km boundary slightly the other day and ridden at Plenty Gorge. Could be an option if you need to I've it a better test.
Good idea - was all over Plenty Gorge last year when the limit was raised to 25km. As it stands it's 17km away from mine which I feel might be taking the piss a bit. The trail monkeys were busy there during last lockdown!
AS @moorey said it's definitely more of an in your head thing. You look at that drivetrain drag and that it weighs as much as your car and assume it'll be garbage, but it really isn't. There's some weird magic going on with the suspension design. Anyway, if you're in Melbourne happy for you to have a pedal on it if you'd like to see what it's like.

I generally find if you don't want to use weedkiller for environmental or health concerns, boiling the kettle and pouring it between the pavers will sort out the problem pretty quickly.
It's not laziness I'm cultivating
Had a few beers now... looks awesome !
That was my Friday night after picking it up. Pedal around backstreets bedding brakes in and performing mad sends off small gutters, then beers and looking at it. It got progressively better looking as the night wore on which I assume is just bonding.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Good idea - was all over Plenty Gorge last year when the limit was raised to 25km. As it stands it's 17km away from mine which I feel might be taking the piss a bit. The trail monkeys were busy there during last lockdown!
Are you need Studley Park Boat house? Some nice short trails and the dirt jumps over near the golf course... It all pales in comparison to a real trail but we have to make our fun where we can at the moment I guess.