Forbidden Dreadnought

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Tell her I still can't get it down from those pills.
Ah you didn't take the green ones did you? Mate you might need to get on the Pentoxifylline stat otherwise certain appendages might start atrophying from lack of circulation and then you might be forced to make some rather unpleasant life choices.
Don't remind me. Almost bought a low mileage ex-lease 2017 model in 2019.
Around 10 years ago I considered mortgaging my brain for a grey R32 V-Spec II fresh off the boat with 30,000km that wasn't selling for $28k...

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Yeah I'm very close to there. It's pretty boring but I'm still lucky to have that within 5km, there are some fun little sections. I tend to avoid the jumps during lockdown as being shown up by small children on my wanker bike(s) isn't great for your ego. You near there?
Haha - I know what you mean. During lockdown two, I was hitting the big gap but went out there the other day and there was about 25 kids and I didn’t want to risk stacking in front of them so I chickened out and just sessioned the step up.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Around 10 years ago I considered mortgaging my brain for a grey R32 V-Spec II fresh off the boat with 30,000km that wasn't selling for $28k...
That's the ones I'm talking about. A bloke I know has a couple, reckon they are a R32 and R34 GTR. We're worth probably 20-30k each 18 months ago, now 4 times the price.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Nice rocket bike.
FIFY. 160hp V-twins aint no joke.

I had a tuned 990 that did 100kw on 98ron and it was scary.

Ah you didn't take the green ones did you? Mate you might need to get on the Pentoxifylline stat otherwise certain appendages might start atrophying from lack of circulation and then you might be forced to make some rather unpleasant life choices.

Too late! I already have a 6 and 3 yr old boy.

Wow that would have been sweet.

Finding a close to oem R32 would be like winning lotto now.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll join in with its little purple brother.

With a very slightly liberal interpretation, my 5km gets me to the golf course jumps on the Yarra. Just glad to have something to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My kool aide bike isn't boost. Is that a problem? :(

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

So a few more rides provided a bit more insight into how this bike works and what its strengths / weaknesses are. Yesterday was pretty tired and not really feeling it, but convinced myself that even a boring YT ride was better than no ride at all. 2 hours later I'm seeking out new trails, going exploring and taking the long way home....

Long story short I'm pretty stunned. Given current limitations I've been pedalling this mostly around mellow singletrack that'd be doable on a clapped out hardtail and it's been simply awesome. This makes very little sense to me. Given its purpose it should feel a bit bored or inert but it's amazingly lively and responsive, more so than the Mojo it's replacing by some margin. A bike with 480mm chainstays (at sag) feeling more energetic and active than a product from the fusion of mastery that is Dave Weagle and Ibis? You read it here first.

It feels a bit perverse really, like the bike's size actually works for you rather than against you. Corners are great fun, traction is supreme, climbing is an out of saddle mashfest. The stability is sensational, really encouraging brake pad conservation and moar speed. Yet the pace and acceleration is nutso too, even more so considering its got big, heavy 2.6s and I'm running 18psi front, 20 rear. Yes it does tire me out more, but it's fatigue felt at the end of the ride rather than that collapse in enthusiasm that can be felt on some big bikes where it starts feeling like you're pedalling through treacle.

Also the 38s are so sensitive they'll almost have you convinced they're not complete overkill too.

Obviously take all this with a healthy pinch of New Bike Stoke likely diluting any issues, but currently this thing seems pretty much flawless.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Super nice ride. How do you find the DH-Rs? Are you running the 2.3mm rotors?
Yep 2.3mm ones, they're pretty chonky. Overall I've been really impressed so far. I can only compare them to Shimano as I don't have experience with much else but they easily eclipse both XTR 9020s and Saint M820s in power and modulation. A mate with Hope E4s and V4s has also tried them and although he wasn't on the bike for long he thought they were excellent too - also really impressed with modulation / feel.

Edit: one catch if you're considering them - DHR matchmaker clamps are not exactly abundant currently (not even TRP seem to have them) and ones for Quadiems etc. won't work.

Last edited:

j0w1s

Likes Bikes
Yep 2.3mm ones, they're pretty chonky. Overall I've been really impressed so far. I can only compare them to Shimano as I don't have experience with much else but they easily eclipse both XTR 9020s and Saint M820s in power and modulation. A mate with Hope E4s and V4s has also tried them and although he wasn't on the bike for long he thought they were excellent too - also really impressed with modulation / feel.

Edit: one catch if you're considering them - DHR matchmaker clamps are not exactly abundant currently (not even TRP seem to have them) and ones for Quadiems etc. won't work.
Thanks. I’m running 2.0mm rotors but apparently they should still be compatible.

Yeah, it looks like bar clamps for me. Hopefully I can still get everything where it needs to be.

The bike looks killer. Dreadnought was the longer travel option I was considering when choosing a frame. How do you find the idler? Drag, noise etc?

I have spent a fair amount of my time riding SS so the idea of an extra pulley freaked me out a little.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The bike looks killer. Highlander was the longer travel option I was considering when choosing a frame. How do you find the idler? Drag, noise etc?
Thanks! I'm a bit obsessed with having a quiet bike but also expected there'd be a bit of drivetrain noise and drag given the design. For me it's only really noticeable cycling the crank backwards while the bike is stationary, on the move it's fine and no extra noise either. Bike is very quiet.

One thing that I may consider eventually is removing the lower guide, apparently the larger frame sizes don't really need it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Serious question for those of your with over the shoulder boulder holder drivetrains. How are you managing the chain length? Multiple joiners? Special chains? One quick join and one 1920s pin? I was under the impression that multiple quick joiners were frowned upon but happy to be schooled...

moorey

call me Mia
Your derailleur pivot and clutch will thank you of you keep it installed. Reduces the the amount of chain growth along the lower span.
What he said. At least on the ENR it’s a necessary evil to counteract the huge chain growth. Rearward wheel travel is about 50mm on mine, not sure about the Dread.

moorey

call me Mia
Serious question for those of your with over the shoulder boulder holder drivetrains. How are you managing the chain length? Multiple joiners? Special chains? One quick join and one 1920s pin? I was under the impression that multiple quick joiners were frowned upon but happy to be schooled...
I’m seeing 124/126 link chains as an option now. I’m using 2 quick links of a standard chain, but only need one link between them.