Forget 26 v 27.5 v 29...new thang 'light weight ultra wide rims'

MARKL

Eats Squid
Can it be, them marketing folk have reinvented the wheel for 42nd time in the last 3 weeks, not content with 9/15/20/24/25, 26/27.5/29, 135/142/15/157:boom:now is the time for 'light weight ultra wide rims':fear:

From our friends at pinkbike...
"Syntace W40 MXS wheels are based upon a 40-millimeter OD rim. The rim allows riders to choose one size smaller tire and achieve the same air volume, at a lower overall weight. The big benefit, however, is the boost in lateral support that the wheels give to the tire. Cornering stability is remarkably better.

Syntace pioneered the lightweight, ultra-wide rim movement that broke through the surface at Eurobike. SRAM, DT Swiss, American Classic, and Alex had cross-country/trail rims in excess of 30 millimeters wide on display. Syntace's widest rim is 40 millimeters at the OD and measures 33.5 millimeters between the flanges. The science is that aluminum is lighter than rubber, so the wider rim adds volume to the tire at a lower weight penalty, and also better supports the tire laterally, which boost cornering performance. The W40 MXS wheelset weighs only 1840 grams and is rated for all-mountain use. Syntace makes a range of widths from 40 millimeters to 28 millimeters, with our favorite being the 35-millimeter-wide W35 MXS that weighs under 1700 grams in the 26 inch diameter. All wheel diameters and axle options are supported, and MXS wheels are tubeless ready."
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Eurobike-2013-Good-Bad-and-the-Ugly.html.

p4pb10048964.jpg

Exciting stuff hey, don't know how I will sleep tonight...can someone let me if this is cool and going to take off I am bored already?

Last edited:

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
My ebay carbon rims are 30mm wide and under 400g. Few months old. No name ebay stores are the real innovators here.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure that I would call a 580g 26"rim light....

I am trying to get hold of a 50mm wide rabbit hole 29er.....