Forgive me for I own an XC hardtail

Rik

logged out
Well, I did intend on selling this, but decided to keep it, so here's my next entry in the Roast Your Pide section (mmm, pide...)

Sorry for the bad pic, I have a fuggen dead camera, so that's no use for taking photos.

Anyway, she's a beauty, this bike cost me a large percentage of my pay from last year, it's too good for me to ride, so all it does is hang on the wall for me to drool over.

Features: handmade Easton frame, Mars forks, RaceFace carbon cranks with SRAM 9.0 driveline, DT onyx hubs with 317 rims, XT hyrdros, and to finish it off, Easton carbon bars and EA70 seatpost and a RaceFace stem. (Excuse the pedals, they were only installed for testing) The slicks it's running make it almost as fast as my bastard roadie.

From memory, it weighs 10.8kg or so, I'm sure if I changed the wheels and the bottom bracket (about the only parts where weight can be reduced) it'll get very close to the 10kg mark. But I'm too hard on bikes to ride something this light, so it's a bit of a waste. Next on the cards is to respring the forks for my weight, and put a XC riser on it to make it a bit more comfortable. Anyway, shame on me for owning such a machine, sorry to disapoint you guys, but there's no duallies in my shed (right now, anyway) :p

Rik

logged out
They're not bad eh, the raceface stuff... for the price I could've bought the new XTR, but for some reason that option didn't get a second thought (Hell, I could change the brakes+front derailleur and have a shimano-free bike!). They're so damn light, but I wonder what they'll be like after a few years of use, if they'll start creaking or something :shock: There's something about bonded materials that sits in the back of my mind and makes me paranoid.

grovesy

Likes Dirt
Shit that's farkin light.
Nothing wrong with xc Rik,I've an xc hardtail and a 5" dually.
Next comes the dh rig :D

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if i could afford it i would probably consider getting into XC or such for fittness.
Nice bike, not that i know much but it looks/sounds cool :lol:

Rik

logged out
slicks: I hardly get offroad right now (I don't think I've seen decent dirt all year) and for scooting too and from work, the slicks make things faster. I do have a fair few sets of tyres for when I hit the dirt, right now it has horrid green michelin wildgrippers on it, they're a fashion mistake and a half!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
haha nice.. looking at it again that is one awesome specced bike! do i dare ask how much uve spent?

Rik

logged out
Cost :shock:
umm... dunno how much I spent, I managed to get some really good bargains though, so half the bike was built on clearout specials. One day when I was bored, I added up full retail of all the bits and I think it comes to $5700ish, maybe more, maybe less, but I know for sure I have spent nowhere near that (mmm, cost price on clearouts = win).

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Rik said:
Next on the cards is to respring the forks for my weight, and put a XC riser on it to make it a bit more comfortable. Anyway, shame on me for owning such a machine, sorry to disapoint you guys, but there's no duallies in my shed (right now, anyway) :p
To complete your wank, RaceFace have just released their Next carbon riser bar. Ditch the Prodigy stem as i've split them into 2 down the middle. If you wanna ride RaceFace make sure it's their canadian stuff. Go the FSA Ti bb to save weight as i've also distroyed 3 RaceFace Sig Ti bb's. They're awesome with their warranties but you still don't want it to happen. Don't worry about the cranks, one of our boys has a set on his Orange 222, and it's still going strong. Majority of the RaceFace lineup rocks and is so sweet to ride.

Other than that, that is one nice puppy. Got one of those frames aswell, and it too just hangs on the wall. anyone want it?

Rik

logged out
there's nothing like a good thorough lower-forearm workout, don't you forget that Fuzzy!

Cheers for the advice squidly, that stem is on the cards to be replaced, it's a bit too long for me anyway. As for the BB, that'll happen eventually, can't justify spending any more money yet... it'll be fun owning a bike lighter than alot of road bikes out there :D

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet Ride; what is it, a ZASKAR Pro? I wanted one of them (a Zaskar) a few years back, but being only 15/16 I couldnt afford it :oops:

It's nice to see I'm not the only one with an XC rig...Although on my bike I seem to have gone Beefie is Better, as I tend to be hard on bikes; but I might look into a lighter wheelset (Crossmax?), bars, sadel etc... to keep the weight down abit.

Rik

logged out
It's a Zaskar Race, Easton Ultralight tubing.

And yeh, I ride hard on bikes, and really kill them... so I changed the bar stem combo to a Syncros set that I had lying around, as I was overly paranoid of the carbon bar.

This bike is starting to drive me nuts, I now need to rebleed my brakes as they've gotten spongy for some reason, and I think the pads are contaminated/glazed so may need new pads as well, plus need stiffer springs :mad:

G

ano? are they really skinny?? hehe :oops: sorry if that offended anyone.. Those red ones woulda looked sweet on that bike. once again nice bike :D