Forgive me, I have sinned...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought an ebike. Please, withhold judgement until the end. :)

I've done all sorts of riding and enjoyed everything from super chunky enduro style trails to XC racing.

Of late, as you know I've been on the HSP train and gone all in on two lovely bikes which are different but have a certain amount of overlap.

What I've been finding is that I've struggled with climbing more than ever. Is it age, post covid, lack of enthusiasm?

Interestingly, it's less to do with physical ability, and more to do with just not wanting to reach the start of the fun descending, sweating like a trapped criminal or with my heart and legs caned from the climb. Riding at Redhill, which I'm getting to more often these days really takes it out of you.

I didn't want the full fat E-bike which rockets to the top, weighs over 22kgs and handles accordingly.
And when the new batch of mid power, lightweight bikes got released I was immediately intrigued.

A quick trot to the LBS and a trial ride on the streets was enough. Order placed and anticipation is high.

One week later it arrives.
Trek Fuel Ex-e 9.8 XT

Even on the first ride I knew it was a winner, on the most steep climbs where I'm usually about to die / questioning my life choices, it has enough assistance to get you to the top confidently yet with you still putting effort in. You're also travelling 3* the usual pace.

On less intense climbs I have been pedalling without assistance, it really goes that well.

Its general trail manners are very good. Really quite exceptional. It handles trails beautifully and a few rides in I'm pushing it and it puts such a smile on my face.
It's poppy, alert and very controlled. Bearing in mind it has an air shock with almost no adjustability to it, I'm amazed.

Descending is also most impressive. The rear end is very supple and controlled.

When pedalling this bike, especially in eco mode it's almost silent. Riding beside one you would have to really concentrate to hear it.

So, I'm completely smitten with it. Especially after I wanted a quick late afternoon blat. Full charge and I head to the trails on full power. Breeze up to the spot I'm after and just rinse repeat hills and descents on the only dry trail worth riding.
After I've had enough, I kill the assist and pedal the fire road out without support. Hit the main road with full power back and arrive home fresh as and with 20% left. Too much fun packed into a short amount of time.

Could it be more powerful and longer lasting? Yes, of course, but then it'd be heavier and ride like a full fat E-bike which is not what I wanted.

I've made some changes, ultimately to the cockpit as the stack is too low for my preferences.

I took the 150mm Lyrik off and put on a set of Suntour 36 RC2 Durolux which at the same travel is about 10mm taller.
Removed the integrated stem and bars for a set of Burgtec 38mm rise bars and RF turbine stem. Very happy now.

It really is a gateway drug and I can see this as an only bike. It really rides that well. Obviously it doesn't descend as well as the Dreadnought but I can live with that for its abilities everywhere else.

Let's hear your questions!

Attachments

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Whatever puts a smile on your dial Rev... :)

I'd say you're going to prove yourself right too; hard to imagine you'll be reaching for one of your analog bikes when you know you can scoot up the climbs on the Trek.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nice one Rev !

It will happen in the next year or so with me too. This new Epic trail at Melrose is a 50km trail and people are already excited for 2.5hr turbo loops by eBike.

safreek

I bought an ebike. Please, withhold judgement until the end. :)

I've done all sorts of riding and enjoyed everything from super chunky enduro style trails to XC racing.

Of late, as you know I've been on the HSP train and gone all in on two lovely bikes which are different but have a certain amount of overlap.

What I've been finding is that I've struggled with climbing more than ever. Is it age, post covid, lack of enthusiasm?

Interestingly, it's less to do with physical ability, and more to do with just not wanting to reach the start of the fun descending, sweating like a trapped criminal or with my heart and legs caned from the climb. Riding at Redhill, which I'm getting to more often these days really takes it out of you.

I didn't want the full fat E-bike which rockets to the top, weighs over 22kgs and handles accordingly.
And when the new batch of mid power, lightweight bikes got released I was immediately intrigued.

A quick trot to the LBS and a trial ride on the streets was enough. Order placed and anticipation is high.

One week later it arrives.
Trek Fuel Ex-e 9.8 XT

Even on the first ride I knew it was a winner, on the most steep climbs where I'm usually about to die / questioning my life choices, it has enough assistance to get you to the top confidently yet with you still putting effort in. You're also travelling 3* the usual pace.

On less intense climbs I have been pedalling without assistance, it really goes that well.

Its general trail manners are very good. Really quite exceptional. It handles trails beautifully and a few rides in I'm pushing it and it puts such a smile on my face.
It's poppy, alert and very controlled. Bearing in mind it has an air shock with almost no adjustability to it, I'm amazed.

Descending is also most impressive. The rear end is very supple and controlled.

When pedalling this bike, especially in eco mode it's almost silent. Riding beside one you would have to really concentrate to hear it.

So, I'm completely smitten with it. Especially after I wanted a quick late afternoon blat. Full charge and I head to the trails on full power. Breeze up to the spot I'm after and just rinse repeat hills and descents on the only dry trail worth riding.
After I've had enough, I kill the assist and pedal the fire road out without support. Hit the main road with full power back and arrive home fresh as and with 20% left. Too much fun packed into a short amount of time.

Could it be more powerful and longer lasting? Yes, of course, but then it'd be heavier and ride like a full fat E-bike which is not what I wanted.

I've made some changes, ultimately to the cockpit as the stack is too low for my preferences.

I took the 150mm Lyrik off and put on a set of Suntour 36 RC2 Durolux which at the same travel is about 10mm taller.
Removed the integrated stem and bars for a set of Burgtec 38mm rise bars and RF turbine stem. Very happy now.

It really is a gateway drug and I can see this as an only bike. It really rides that well. Obviously it doesn't descend as well as the Dreadnought but I can live with that for its abilities everywhere else.

Let's hear your questions!
As long as it has pedals it's all good. Enjoy

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
what does it weigh?...........................................................................................................................................................................without pedals of course!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I already put the Dreadnought up for sale, and the Highlander might well go too at this rate.

Mrs Reverend suggests having at least one other FS bike but it'd be more than sufficient with just the Trek aside from shuttle days. They're rare as so it's hard to justify holding onto bikes just for that.

If you get the chance to ride one, try it. It rocked my world.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what does it weigh?...........................................................................................................................................................................without pedals of course!
18.5kgs or so, probably more after changing the forks, bars, tyres. It's heavier than a normal bike but pedals so well. It's well short of something like the Trek Rail.
Interestingly, it's running 165mm cranks and I usually prefer longer but even unassisted and with a 34t chainring it works incredibly well.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Welcome to the club.

Don’t charge the battery directly after a ride, leaving a lithium battery at 50% charge is the best place for it to be. Change back to 100%, or 90% if you don’t need all the range, having the charge end a few hours before the ride.

Keep it cool. The shed in summer isn’t the place for a lithium battery

Sweet bike. I sure enjoyed reading the reviews upon its launch

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah thanks, I've been letting it run the whole way down and then charging it back up ahead of the next ride if it needs it. A couple of rides have left it at 50% or so so I'd ride it the next time from that level. Only once did I get home at less than 10% and it's an easy pedal if all the power is gone.

It's in my garage at the moment but during summer I'll keep the battery in the house. No risk of getting overheated at the moment but in summer I'll need to bear that in mind.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Interestingly, it's running 165mm cranks and I usually prefer longer but even unassisted and with a 34t chainring it works incredibly well.
I'm seriously starting to think there's something to this (and I'm trying to justify getting those cranks @Scotty675 has for sale). 175mm is crank strike city on any modern trail bike I've tried and I'm even clouting 170mm ones more than I'd expect to.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Welcome to the club.

Don’t charge the battery directly after a ride, leaving a lithium battery at 50% charge is the best place for it to be. Change back to 100%, or 90% if you don’t need all the range, having the charge end a few hours before the ride.

Keep it cool. The shed in summer isn’t the place for a lithium battery

Sweet bike. I sure enjoyed reading the reviews upon its launch
I’m sure that’s for optimised battery life but what I’ve been doing is exactly what you said not to for a few years now lol. After every ride the charger gets put on the bike in the shed and left on until I go down to turn it off…next day but sometimes a couple of days later. And it lives in the shed all year round too.

Wonder when it’ll explode/go flat?

@The Reverend what sort of elevation/kms are you getting from a full charge? (Whenyou get a chance to empty it can you let me know the numbers please?)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@The Reverend what sort of elevation/kms are you getting from a full charge? (Whenyou get a chance to empty it can you let me know the numbers please?

When I next get a chance to track it I'll report back. I'm pretty impressed with it on duration. As long as you don't rinse it out on full power all the time it's quite long lasting.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice one.

I'm also very interested in the numbers when used as a 'pedal assist' platform rather than a full powered thing.
Due to ongoing injuries I can unfortunately see an e-bike in the my not-to-distant future and the initial write-ups of these sound very good

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Nice one - saw one of these in the window of the local trek and it looks like a very nice bit of kit! I have no doubt an ebike is in my future but will hold out just a little longer...

danncam

Likes Dirt
Took notice on Saturday and definitely more emtbs than muscle powered at red hill nowadays.
Given I'm 50 and trying to reach 100 I'll keep gasping up waterbank ascent as long as I can to get the full health benefit and smug self satisfaction. I usually muttter cheater cheater pumpkin eater under my breath when an eeb goes past

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Nice choice! :D

I "sinned" a few months back when I bought a second-hand Levo SL, loving it so far.
I agree with you, this lighter type of Ebike is the way to go. It handles pretty close to a normal bike but makes the hill less of a chore and gives you more motivation to do either a bigger ride or just more trail in the same amount of allotted time.
I still ride my old Sight when riding with others on normal bikes but on solo rides, it's been the SL every time so far.