Fork bushings

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Another fun area I’ve been playing with is fork bushings. Fork bushings are a critical part of forks that all too often get neglected until they have worn through the stanchions coating.

Bushings are the contact points between the uppers and lowers, that the stanchions slide on.

Many many forks fresh from the factory, regardless of brand or model, have a poor bushing fit. Too tight and the fork will feel harsh , too loose and when you apply the brakes the front axle chatters.

Bushings need to fit the stanchions just right. Enough clearance so the stanchion slides with a layer of oil between it and the bushing. We’ve all seen what a fork that’s run dry looks like, with hideous gouge marks on the stanchions.

Here’s what Fox bushings look like out of the fork. A PTFE layer ontop a steel band. Notice the taller bushings have slots for oil to migrate. Also notice how the steel band has a slot. This slot is to allow the bushing to locate into the lowers properly. This shape of the bushing is what caused them to bind, which causes harshness. Invariably, the steel band isn’t actually round, but egg shaped. At the factory assembly stage, they are hoping the insertion of the uppers forces the bushing to take a round shape. Often not the case.

Fox has tools available, at eye watering prices, >1000 aud. The burnishing tool, for setting shape and bushing diameter, is simply a round, smooth lump of steel on the end of a rod, with chamfered edges, at a critical diameter. Again Oliver Majewaki started making the burnishing tool with exchangeable heads a few years ago. Fox, and others also makes a tool for removing and setting bushings. Fox sells replacement bushings, RS does not. A bunch of after market bushings have started to appear, along with after market stanchions. It should be pointed out, once a stanchion has had its coating worn through, the bushings are toast, as they have now been impregnated with the anodize and raw aluminium, and will trash new stanchions rapidly.

Getting bushing fit sorted is well worth it. Drop the fork internals out (air spring, damper) and remove wipers. You need the wheel installed, so the lowers are clamped at the correct width. (I’ve made an adjustable tool for setting lowers width to the nominal widths for checking when I don’t have the wheel). Uppers should slide into the lowers with nothing more then gravity or a very slight nudge when dry. But conversely, putting one stanchion into the bushings at a time, one has to check for excess play for gaps too wide.

If the uppers and lowers bind when the wheels is in and the thru axle is done up, hub width is questionable, or dropouts haven’t been machined properly.

There is more to it, but essentially this is an area of fork performance that hasn’t been given enough attention.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What is the clearance between bush and stanchion?

It's almost like someone should make something based on square tubing with linear bearings.
...where the bearings don't migrate.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@link1896 - have you done any checks to see if the stanchions are evenly sized (diameter-wise) along their lengths? The set of 36's I have now, I've run on about 5 different bikes. At 140mm, 150mm and 160mm travel they've always been quite tight off the top - Especially at the start of the ride especially when you first climb aboard the bike I could always feel the "bump" as they broke the stiction for the first time on the ride (even if freshly serviced, and it would repeat if I climbed off the bike for 10 minutes or so, then got back on to keep riding). But now I've modified them down to 120mm, they're super supple and smooth. I've been wondering if the (proportionally) larger negative spring just gives more assistance in the breakaway/small-bump part of the travel, or if the stanchions could possibly be just a touch smaller OD in that section?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Burnishing the bushes definitely improved my fork.

I made this 35mm burnishing tool if anyone in Melbourne/Geelong area want to give it a go...
Jebus, looks like something you might find in a sex shop… “Forget the butt plugs honey, let’s go straight for the burnishing tool. Don’t forget the lube.”

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
And a serious question: I read somewhere that the bushing “seats” (or whatever their proper name is) in the lowers casting are machined with a slight taper, such that pushing a bushing further down can reduce its ID and allow you to fix bushing play. Is there any truth in that?

Flow-Rider

Burner
@link1896 - have you done any checks to see if the stanchions are evenly sized (diameter-wise) along their lengths? The set of 36's I have now, I've run on about 5 different bikes. At 140mm, 150mm and 160mm travel they've always been quite tight off the top - Especially at the start of the ride especially when you first climb aboard the bike I could always feel the "bump" as they broke the stiction for the first time on the ride (even if freshly serviced, and it would repeat if I climbed off the bike for 10 minutes or so, then got back on to keep riding). But now I've modified them down to 120mm, they're super supple and smooth. I've been wondering if the (proportionally) larger negative spring just gives more assistance in the breakaway/small-bump part of the travel, or if the stanchions could possibly be just a touch smaller OD in that section?
The problem is that at the longer length you're also dealing with the flex and binding of the stanchion in the bushes. I find that most stanchions are usually ever so slightly flared out at the bottom too, not sure if it's from the constant bottoming out or the manufacturing process, I've never checked a brand new set.

beeb

The problem is that at the longer length you're also dealing with the flex and binding of the stanchion in the bushes. I find that most stanchions are usually ever so slightly flared out at the bottom too, not sure if it's from the constant bottoming out or the manufacturing process, I've never checked a brand new set.
I'd accept that reasoning when they were at 160mm, but 140mm it was pretty much the same - and it's only another 20mm up from 120mm. It might be that the stanchions are ever so slightly tapered and that and the (proportionally) larger negative spring are working in unison for a smoother breakway, but it's a night-and-day difference. Either way I'm stoked, but yeah wondered if the manufacturing process had an influence on the taper/consistency of the dimensions.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd accept that reasoning when they were at 160mm, but 140mm it was pretty much the same - and it's only another 20mm up from 120mm. It might be that the stanchions are ever so slightly tapered and that and the (proportionally) larger negative spring are working in unison for a smoother breakway, but it's a night-and-day difference. Either way I'm stoked, but yeah wondered if the manufacturing process had an influence on the taper/consistency of the dimensions.
You'll still get a fair bit of flexing at 140mm, I've clearanced a few bushes and what you think will be ok on the bench ends up binding on the trails, that's why you get a lot of brand new forks with bush problems because it's right on the limit of being right or screwed.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've seen fox stanchions that were not round, but maybe only 0.008mm difference, which is tiny and probably not an issue.

@Beep, that could well be the stanchions not being parallel to each other. Think of the alignment tolerance we are looking for, over such length of stanchion, thats pretty tough to achieve with 35-40mm of stanchion overlap in the crown. Strip forks, try one stanchion in it's corresponding lower at a time. rotate crown 180 degrees. Then try both stanchions together, dry. Also play with dropout spacing. Allthread, nuts, washers, pull and push drop outs

beeb

I've seen fox stanchions that were not round, but maybe only 0.008mm difference, which is tiny and probably not an issue.

@Beep, that could well be the stanchions not being parallel to each other. Think of the alignment tolerance we are looking for, over such length of stanchion, thats pretty tough to achieve with 35-40mm of stanchion overlap in the crown. Strip forks, try one stanchion in it's corresponding lower at a time. rotate crown 180 degrees. Then try both stanchions together, dry. Also play with dropout spacing. Allthread, nuts, washers, pull and push drop outs
Same hub & wheel as the previous bike when it was set to 160mm. Come to think of it, I do seem to remember it moved a bit more freely in the top portion of the travel when I had the air-spring and damper out. And yes I may have accidentally deliberately checked with the CSU back to front at one point too. :oops: Similar to what you suggest, there's a lot at play so it could be a combination of minor things. Luckily through sheer serendipity it's working great as is - so I'm not planning to mess with it!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Same hub & wheel as the previous bike when it was set to 160mm. Come to think of it, I do seem to remember it moved a bit more freely in the top portion of the travel when I had the air-spring and damper out. And yes I may have accidentally deliberately checked with the CSU back to front at one point too. :oops: Similar to what you suggest, there's a lot at play so it could be a combination of minor things. Luckily through sheer serendipity it's working great as is - so I'm not planning to mess with it!
Not only back the front, also one leg only.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Burnishing the bushes definitely improved my fork.

I made this 35mm burnishing tool if anyone in Melbourne/Geelong area want to give it a go...
How much would it cost for you to make another one for a Fox 36 that I could then perhaps buy off you?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
How much would it cost for you to make another one for a Fox 36 that I could then perhaps buy off you?
I'll have a bit of a think about it tonight.

I did make the head on this one interchangeable. So one option would be you pay for the material for the head and you can borrow the tool.

Otherwise, I can make a whole tool either with interchangeable head capability or just a 36mm tool.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll have a bit of a think about it tonight.

I did make the head on this one interchangeable. So one option would be you pay for the material for the head and you can borrow the tool.

Otherwise, I can make a whole tool either with interchangeable head capability or just a 36mm tool.
Yeah into it.