Fork offset, trail and head angles. I’m confused...

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
In looking for a fork upgrade for my bike, I was looking for a fork with longer travel (120mm vs. 100mm) and the same offset - 51mm - as the one on the bike.
I saw a set of forks I’m interested in, but they had a 44mm offset rather than the 51mm on the bike currently, so I got to reading and I’m confused as hell.
If I increase the travel and keep the offset, that will slacken the head angle, but how would increasing the head angle and decreasing the offset affect things? I quite like the steering response as it is, just want to jack the front end a bit...

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The shorter offset will be easier to sell in a couple of years. Plus you won’t notice the difference anyway, compared to the head angle change with the fork length.

Jpez

Down on the left!
The shorter offset will be easier to sell in a couple of years. Plus you won’t notice the difference anyway, compared to the head angle change with the fork length.
Haha. That was my thinking when I mulleted my bike. All the cool kids are running low offset forks so went 42mm. If I hate it (which I definitely do not) then they should be easier to sell.
with all the changes I made to the geo I couldn’t tell what the difference if any was going from 51 to 42. Now it feels great after a few rides. Different but great.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Got a 51mm offset, 160mm fork on my SC currently, I struggle with front wheel traction without hanging over the front in a position that does not feel natural to me.

On paper, a short offset fork of ~42mm would bring the wheel closer to me. Would have liked to have tried one to see if it made any difference.

moorey

call me Mia
Got a 51mm offset, 160mm fork on my SC currently, I struggle with front wheel traction without hanging over the front in a position that does not feel natural to me.

On paper, a short offset fork of ~42mm would bring the wheel closer to me. Would have liked to have tried one to see if it made any difference.
You really feel that 9mm is game changing, and its not other set up factors?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You really feel that 9mm is game changing, and its not other set up factors?
No, but it would help a little bit. The fact I have chosen a large frame with a short 33mm stem is the main issue.

The other is adjusting my riding position.

Long forks, big offsets and short stems are making bikes 'chopper' like, shifting the weight balance towards the back of the bike.

This is what it has done in my case.

moorey

call me Mia
No, but it would help a little bit. The fact I have chosen a large frame with a short 33mm stem is the main issue.

The other is adjusting my riding position.

Long forks, big offsets and short stems are making bikes 'chopper' like, shifting the weight balance towards the back of the bike.

This is what it has done in my case.
Fair call...I just think the minute offset change is the smallest piece in the puzzle....albeit a piece.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I have a 44 on a bike designed for 51. No idea what it changed as I never had a 51 on there. It works fine.