Fork Oil - Non MTB branded

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Will be doing a service on my front and rear suspension in the coming weeks.
Whilst doing some reading up, I've noticed that the general consensus is that Rockshox and Fox suspension fluid is overpriced rebranded Torco oil.

Just wanting some opinions on which oils you guys have used for your suspension and your thoughts.
I'd like to assume that all synthetic oils in each weight are the same but I'm sure it's more complex than that.
Looks like the easiest to get my hands on are Penrite and Castrol from auto shops.

Thanks!

teK--

Eats Squid
I've used stendec, motorex, yamaha as well as rock shox and fox. If using other brands just match the specifications as closely as possible (now just the W rating but also actual viscosity at the desired temperature range and the viscosity index)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
also have a read of this http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid but beware if really diving into looking at cSt values, many of the high VI synthetics have changed cST over the years, while keeping the same WT numbers, as newer moto forks have been valved/shimmed for very thin oils with high VI values. I found many values in Peters table outdated.

not one bottle of fox/rockshox oil in my collection

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think you pay for what you get when you buy suspension oil. I've bought some Castrol fork oil and it seems to go a dirty black colour real fast in dampeners. When it runs out I'll go back to using Rockshox oil or try something more expensive.

Z

Zaf

Unless you're bleeding the damper, the oil dropped into the lowers is just for lubrication. In which case I actually prefer a more viscous oil, which seems to respond well to just storing the bike upside down an making sure your foam rings are getting a good bath in it once a week. Fox Gold w30 has been great for this, and isn't really overpriced, I think it cost me $40 for a liter of the stuff a few years ago, and even with regular maintenance across a a fluctuating stable of 3-4 bikes, I'm still on that bottle.
I've got some Standec stuff as well, and that has proven to be a high quality oil and would recommend it as well.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Motel motorcycle damper oil (from a motorcycle parts shop, 30 bucks for a litre) in the dampers, Penrite synthetic car engine oil (because its what I have anyway for the car...) in the lowers.

Warp

Likes Dirt
For semi-bath oil I've had success with Mobil1 5w-30 Full Syntethic. 3yrs on my X-Fusion and no issues at all. Same for my Fox and RS forks.

For dampers, use the best you can get. I used to have only access to Yamalube oils back in Mexico and they did great but there are better options. Just get the right viscosity you need. Read at the Viscosity @40C number, which is the range of temperature oil will be for cycling.

Who sells Maxima in Australia? Only local shops? Then I'm SOL.