Fork Oil questions and queries.

ausdb

Being who he is
Gold too, will probably outlast me now I use SG100.

A few of the German bike shops sell Motorex, fluids galore but no 2.5w. They do have SG100 cheap.

Dougal at shockcraft has everything and not too bad a price. 2.5wt, 4wt, 5wt, 7.5wt, 10wt, 15wt and the other Supergliss grades, 100k 68k and 32k.
I bought Motorex 2.5w from AMX superstore recently.
Considering a litre is more than a lifetime for all of us, Is anyone up for an oil swap? I now have two older Faux products, one open bath and one fit that need servicing so happy to offload some 2.5w

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Considering a litre is more than a lifetime for all of us, Is anyone up for an oil swap? I now have two older Faux products, one open bath and one fit that need servicing so happy to offload some 2.5w
A litre would be a lifetime supply if I didn’t tend to spill most of it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What do you need ?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I have no idea at the moment! I've never had Fox forks before, whatever is needed to fully service an open bath fork and a lower service of a fit fork.
Open bath as in Grip damper? That’s the one that uses the Teflon infused 5wt in the damper side lowers.

ausdb

Being who he is
Open bath as in Grip damper? That’s the one that uses the Teflon infused 5wt in the damper side lowers.
These two,
F series, needs a full going through
20210828_135557_resize_57.jpg
Messaging1637379437409.jpg
Fox 32 fit damper, just going to try lower service only if damper is not leaking
DSC_8152-picsay.jpg

ozzybmx

Successfully serviced my DVO Onyx this morning using the Supergliss 100 in the lower legs.

Took them for a ride and they feel great.

Been messing with the OTT settings as I found conflicting guides on the owners manual and the website. Was thinking it was very soft at the start but still felt good.

Th owners manual was telling me I needed 11-12 turns for my weight but I am running 70psi in the fork and going on the guide, means I should weigh 64-72kg.

I then found this and have dialled it back to 7 turns, might ride for a bit then trim it back to 5 turns to see how that feels.

It feels like the fork has more support already but still feels nice and plush over chatter.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
No, open bath as in open bath. Grip is a cartridge/bladder enclosed damper developed from the FiT series. OB forks you just pour the oil straight into the fork; in the case of many older Foxes, the oil bath is in the lower leg.

Nambra

No, open bath as in open bath. Grip is a cartridge/bladder enclosed damper developed from the FiT series. OB forks you just pour the oil straight into the fork; in the case of many older Foxes, the oil bath is in the lower leg.
Gotcha - like the RS Motion Control damper. Does Grip use a bladder though, I thought it was an IFP with a spring?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gotcha - like the RS Motion Control damper. Does Grip use a bladder though, I thought it was an IFP with a spring?
Not quite, MC is sealed between uppers & lowers with separate oil for damper and bath, older Fox open bath dampers are completely open from top to bottom and the damper cartridge draws from an increased bath oil volume in the lowers.

Nambra

Not quite, MC is sealed between uppers & lowers with separate oil for damper and bath, older Fox open bath dampers are completely open from top to bottom and the damper cartridge draws from an increased bath oil volume in the lowers.
Thanks for clarifying - not that familiar with the older stuff.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Grip cartridges are indeed spring and IFP. The fundamental issue with fork cartridges comes from the damper rod extending down through the splash lube to the lowers. Every stroke (bevis and butthead grrrrr), a little bit of oil enters the damper cartridge, as the game of low friction seals vs oil passing the seal is a tough one. The seals arn’t perfect when designed with minimal friction. Fox also worked out the more budget conscious customers don’t service products in a timely manner, so the grip cartridge is intentionally not sealed, excess oil can fall back into the lowers instead of filling the cartridge and destroying it on a full stroke hit. It’s why the Teflon infused oil is used. I’ve read commentary from chemists suggesting large clumps of Teflon won’t stay suspended in the oil “that not how any of this works” , that they won’t be nano sized particles and will settle.

All cartridges and shocks ingest oil from damper rods somewhat.

ozzybmx

@ozzybmx mainly Green and some Float Fluid, not planning on the damper for the newer one if I can avoid it.
How much Motorex 2.5W do you want?
Sorry been away for a few days, I definitely have float but I have a bad feeling about the green, I reckon an 'old' mate might have the green and the Fox 32 seal driver.
He done a shitty thing on the group and got ostracised, wont be asking him for it back anytime soon.

I'll check later and let you know.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My friend, <<sits down and puts a reassuring Covid approved hand in glove on your shoulder>>
When did we stop being brave and fearless? :D

First adopters don't become first by staying at the end of the queue.
Just wear your helmet and carry on.
...and say your prayers.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Anyone got a lead on a local supplier of Supergliss 100k?
I’ve looked in the past and not found it locally. Germans were out of stock last time I ordered from bikecomponents. So also interested in this.

I did just order 250ml from Shockcraft with my recent mezzer kit. They have 1L bottles as well. But not normally worth it unless combining shipping.