Fork opinions

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually, I’m thinking of the mattoc pro V expert, sorry.
I have a Pike and a Yari but haven’t bothered checking what the difference is between the 2 chassis’. Now yhat the Revelation is also 35mm I assume it is a Pike with a lower spec damper?

moorey

call me Mia
I have a Pike and a Yari but haven’t bothered checking what the difference is between the 2 chassis’. Now yhat the Revelation is also 35mm I assume it is a Pike with a lower spec damper?
I believe they weight is shaved, but still has the charger damper.
A bit like pike v lyrik. They’re all 35mm.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't really like the idea of spending close to a Grand on a fork and then blowing more money on upgrades. You can do a lot with a fork by doing a proper service on it and using good quality lubricants. I know with Manitou forks if you use crappy lubricants in them, they end up functioning horribly.

Go

Likes Dirt
I don't really like the idea of spending close to a Grand on a fork and then blowing more money on upgrades. You can do a lot with a fork by doing a proper service on it and using good quality lubricants. I know with Manitou forks if you use crappy lubricants in them, they end up functioning horribly.
Agree with this.
That's why I'm looking for something that gives me the most tunability without spending more money or get a second hand fork and upgrading to an avalanche or something along those lines.

Does anyone have experience wuth the SD components upgrades?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Agree with this.
That's why I'm looking for something that gives me the most tunability without spending more money or get a second hand fork and upgrading to an avalanche or something along those lines.

I've got an SD components DVC on my Diamond and it works well, it essentially does the same thing as a MRP ramp control.

If you want good tuneability it's really hard to go past a Mattoc Pro. It comes with hsc and lsc out of the box and the IRT upgrade allows you to tweak air spring ramp up. If you need more of a plow fork then the Suntour Durolux or X-fusion Metric is the next most cost effective option with hsc and lsc. Getting a secondhand Pike or Yari and upgrading the cartridge to an Fast, Avalanche or CRConception is going to cost $1300 minimum. Which is almost the cost of a Diamond, Fox 36 or Lyrik.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: Go

moorey

call me Mia
Don’t really agree. In the past maybe...but mine went to Dougal at shockcraft for love, almost straight off the bat.

Go

Likes Dirt
$1000+ should get you more adjustability than rebound and LSC that doesn't do anything (pike rc3) and you shouldn't have to pull apart your fork to make sure it has sufficient oil and grease (RS and Fox)
Maybe the new lyrik RC2 has this issues solved, but non boost which is also an issue for my current set up.

Anyone with experience with the Helm?

Got a dbair IL and love the tunability. Way better shock than the monarch RT3 it replaced.

So far Mattoc is looking the most attractive in terms of value/performance/adjustability

Go

Likes Dirt
Ideally you should be able to buy different types of tune off the shelf when getting a new fork and have more adjustment knobs to play with.
I understand why it's not done and I suppose vast majority of people are happy with the fork that came with the bike and don't wanna take the time to learn how it works and how to set it up to get the best ride possible

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Agree with this.

Yep, got one on a 140mm Pike 29er and it’s great. I’m a fat bastard (approx 100kg kitted up) and found I either got sore hands or blew through the travel. Plush as now.

Reactions: Go

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I've got an SD components DVC on my Diamond and it works well, it essentially does the same thing as a MRP ramp control.

If you want good tuneability it's really hard to go past a Mattoc Pro. It comes with hsc and lsc out of the box and the IRT upgrade allows you to tweak air spring ramp up. If you need more of a plow fork then the Suntour Durolux or X-fusion Metric is the next most cost effective option with hsc and lsc. Getting a secondhand Pike or Yari and upgrading the cartridge to an Fast, Avalanche or CRConception is going to cost $1300 minimum. Which is almost the cost of a Diamond, Fox 36 or Lyrik.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I'd gladly grab another XF fork with a ramp control unit. It'd be pretty hard to beat in terms of value, I just wish there was a way to improve the initial break away stroke, if I could get a pre-load negative coil spring solution it'd be cool.

https://nsmb.com/media/original_images/XFusion-Fork-Trace-NSMB-Andrew-10-1.jpgresize16002C1095 replace the black travel adjust unit under the bottom out spring with a threaded cnc piece with a pre-load collar maybe, don't know or will just create bind/change the point of effect etc

Last edited:

mark22

Likes Dirt
Ideally you should be able to buy different types of tune off the shelf when getting a new fork and have more adjustment knobs to play with.
I understand why it's not done and I suppose vast majority of people are happy with the fork that came with the bike and don't wanna take the time to learn how it works and how to set it up to get the best ride possible

How would you determine the fork tune for a new bike?

I reckon a fair % (read me) of us would struggle to tune a fork with lots of adjustments without the help of a professional or say a Shockwiz.
I understand the workings of them and have made a couple of upgrades to the air springs (Luftkappe & Debonair).
On one bike I have a Lyrik and consider it better at doing its thing than I am trying to do my thing, and more adjustments are not going to help me.
I used a Shockwiz on it and it was very close to their recommendation. Main reason for hiring it was for the shock which I was having trouble getting tuned, it did the job well.
The theory of more adjustments is great it's getting it into practice is the downside for mere mortals without proper guidance.

Last edited:

Go

Likes Dirt
The more knobs and levers the more betterer, isn't it how it goes?

In all seriousness, it is easy to get lost with all the adjustments if there's no baseline.
I found the Cane Creek app great to find a starting point for my frame.

I personally find the process of tinkering and tuning fun and interesting. Some people may not.
The more I educate myself and take my suspension apart the more I learn and the less daunting it becomes.
Wish I could access good cheap dampers so I can work on them with them without worrying to screw them up.

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
For what it's worth, the DVO Diamond is a super rad fork. Coming off a 2017 lyrik, with Fox and SR kit prior, the DVO is hands down the best fork I've used. Very adjustable, to the point where I can pick and choose where the support platform sits and how much there is. Never noticed any flex either. Can't comment on durability as it's a fairly new bit of kit for me.
Also have a Mattoc Pro 2 on its way so I'll be able to compare to that too soon....

Go

Likes Dirt
Been eyeing the DVO as well.
I mate has it and rates it well over Pikes.
I'll be buying in about 2 weeks so I'll be keen to hear the comparison with the Mattoc.

Cheers