Fork options/opinions/offsets DVO vs Fox

Petero

Likes Dirt
So I potentially have a new bike on the way... I was originally planning to buy frame only and utilize spare parts/swap, however the economics of the bike in built form was too hard to pass up vs frame only price given there were items I needed..

Anyway, one of the main items I was planning on swapping in was my fox36 fit4, the potential new bike comes with DVO Onyx SC D1.
The main items of contention being;
  • Onyx are heavy. Bike is heavy. Weight saving with 36's.
  • The 36s are 51mm offset vs the Onyx and frame design for 'reduced offset' of 44mm. Forks will be at 160mm travel.
    Will I notice the offset difference (@65deg HA)? Could always get a new CSU for 36s.. but $$
  • Any reviews on the Onyx? I believe same damper system as the Diamond but 35mm vs 36mm stanchions.
  • Onyx also has many adjustments I'll set and forget but also easier to stuff up. OTT, HSC, LSC etc. vs 36's FIT4 easy to set up..
Any advice or missing bits?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
No direct experience with the Onyx but by reputation (and experience of FIT4) it's likely to be a much plusher fork than the Fox. What's the bike?

You will not notice the difference in offsets, except when it's keeping you awake at night.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
My bike has a 466 reach, 65deg HA and 51mm offset, I'm 178mm tall with long legs and shortish arms.
The reach on my bike is probably a touch long for me and I have dramas with front end traction and feel when conditions are less than ideal.
When conditions are good and there is a ton of grip - its a non issue.
When its a bit dry and skatey, I really think the 44mm offset would bring the front wheel under me a bit more and give more grip.
Ie - if the reach is on the long side - short offset good. If reach is a bit short or about right - Probably doesn't matter too much.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I really think the 44mm offset would bring the front wheel under me a bit more and give more grip.
I'm 6'4 on an XL 495 reach (which is long but not huge) but that seems a valid point. I would expect more flop and wandering on climbs with longer offset for that reason too.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
RIPMO AF that will be ridden far below it's capability.
Nice. They come with DVO shock too, don't they? I'd ride it with the DVO pairing for a bit and see how you like it before jumping to the Fox.

RE: the offsets the comments about wandering on climbs etc are theoretically true yes but like much of what the bike industry sells us, you'd be hard pressed to tell unless you rode them back to back and made a real effort to look for the difference (hence the "keeping you up at night"). Differences in damping or spring characteristics will have a much more noticeable influence on ride characteristics than fork offset.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't tell the difference between the different fork offsets, literally zero difference to me at my low skill level and that's on 65 HA bikes.
Let me know if you want to sell the Onyx if they are 29 Boost.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Keep the Onyx and sell the F36. The Onyx is a muuuuuuch better fork. I've got a whole slew of forks from a F36 rc2 through to a Lyrik with an Avalanche cartridge and MRP ramp control. The Onyx is second only to the aforementioned Lyrik.

Onyx pros:
  • No creaking and stiffer.
  • Can extend travel to 180mm by removing spacers, rather than a new airshaft.
  • Much better damping. The Fit4 is worse than the RC2 which is worse than the Grip/2. The DVO D1 cartridge is better than the Grip/2 in my opinion.
  • Better air spring that is easier to adjust with the OTT system than using tokens.
  • Don't have to deal with Sola Sport.

F36 pros:
  • 150 gms lighter.
  • More aftermarket spring and cartridge options.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Petero

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the comments guys. Very much leaning towards keeping as is (with Onyx) and selling the rest.. Or keep for n+1 build..

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep the Onyx and sell the F36. The Onyx is a muuuuuuch better fork. I've got a whole slew of forks from a F36 rc2 through to a Lyrik with an Avalanche cartridge and MRP ramp control. The Onyx is second only to the aforementioned Lyrik.

Onyx pros:
  • No creaking and stiffer.
  • Can extend travel to 180mm by removing spacers, rather than a new airshaft.
  • Much better damping. The Fit4 is worse than the RC2 which is worse than the Grip/2. The DVO D1 cartridge is better than the Grip/2 in my opinion.
  • Better air spring that is easier to adjust with the OTT system than using tokens.
  • Don't have to deal with Sola Sport.
F36 pros:
  • 150 gms lighter.
  • More aftermarket spring and cartridge options.
Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Damn you and your honest advice! I was hoping for cut price forks

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I agree with @Oddjob.
Had some onyx they were great. Only issue I had was the OTT adjustment kept coming loose so it was replaced with a standard footnut. This meant you had to remove the nut and use an Allen key to set up. The OTT spring kept rattling loose off the bottom of the damper, this led to bits of metal in the bath oil, but it was an easy enough fix. It didn’t creak and is very plush. But they are green.
I’ve got the 36 now. I like my bikes loud when you’re riding hard but the creaking on $1500 fork is bullshit. Needs more midstroke support. I should just get a luftkappe but I’ll probably sell and go back to DVO.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Start gay sedan you are foreign paint is about $650aud landed.. Maybe I should sell the 36 and the onyx