Fork steerer 'correct' length?

treble

Likes Dirt
Possibly a silly question, but:

Recently I treated myself to a brand new fork from our online friends in Germany. I'm now faced with the task of cutting the steerer down to size, a dilemma I have never faced before, as I've only bought second hand until now.

I need around 170mm/175mm, which is what my current fork is cut at. BUT.. I'm thinking I will most likely use this fork on whatever bike I get next or may sell it one day. In order to maximise re-use and resale value, is there a magic number (or range of numbers) that is deemed 'a good length'? Because I have no idea, and I don't care about using a few extra spacers if it saves me from having a useless fork down the road.

mark22

Likes Dirt
You can cut it a bit longer and put some extra spacers on top of the stem. it's not going to look pretty but 30mm would not be too bad.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't know about tapered steer but straight steer normally hard to sell anything under 200mm.
185 is my line in the sand. A short stack height stem will usually get you out of trouble.
I never cut a tapered fork under 185. It usually still slows 10-15mm of spacers, depending on headset etc.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
If there's any possibility you'll go to a bigger size frame down the track then allow for extra, I'd go minimum 190-200mm. That's if there's chance you'll go near an xl frame.

treble

Likes Dirt
If there's any possibility you'll go to a bigger size frame down the track then allow for extra, I'd go minimum 190-200mm. That's if there's chance you'll go near an xl frame.
ride a Medium currently, could potentially ride a large. cant see myself ever riding an xl though

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Correct length is ~3mm below top cap. I've left one 5mm spacer on top of the stem if i'm unsure about ride height.

If you're worried about resale value just leave it uncut and add 60 mm of spacers on top. :llama: