Formula One world championship

driftking

Wheel size expert
I agree with the shitty sound but the fuck are you on about regarding the racing this season? Didn't you see Bahrain? Hell, Mercedes might be light years ahead of everyone else but there's been some damn close finishes between Nico and Lewis and further down the pack there has been some great in-team battles (Ricciardo's domination of Vettel springs to mind)

Yeah the media are going to focus on the rivalry and if there isn't a messy split between the two Mercedes drivers, the press will do their damnedest to create one. That's what they do. It sells papers. As for the teams and F1 management I doubt they've got much to do with it. The added exposure might be a bonus but it brings all manner of side-effects like increasingly intrusive questioning for the drivers, added stress and responsibility on the drivers and a risk of any manufactured rivalry spilling over into a real one . I just dont see it being worth the hassle for any Team Principal.
+1

I have to agree here, the feud is no doubt hyped by media but to play a role in the feud that would suggest team orders, I say that because to keep the feud how it is portrayed needs the close championship battle, we know merc is not about to hand those out, Hamilton was clearly pissed at Monaco with the safety car, even when they were telling him about Ricciardo time, his response "i don't care about Ricciardo I want to know about Nico".
The guys are going hard at each other every race, trading fastest laps and having some strong drives battling it out for position.

We are talking about two drivers who are at the pinnacle of racing they want to win, the level of feud would be no different than that of any other two drivers at the front in different teams, if it was vettel and hamilton I would expect the same level of aggression and frustration from Hamilton, its just they have the added pressure of fighting for team order rights too.

I can see a big feud between them but I cant see it as an unhealthy feud, they both drive and race respectfully of each other on the track, ultimately it comes down to who is the better man on the day that fuels healthy rivalry. unless one of them does something that pisses the other off I cant see it been a negative feud. I can see more negativity towards the team for certain decisions that the drivers don't agree with.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm fucking livid.

Fucking work have me in on a public holiday preventing me from watching the race live. Thought I could get through this shift without spoilers by avoiding the net. However because it's Wonderboy even Darwin's local radio are reporting it!

Grrrrr.

Still at least I know it'll be a good race tonight.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
How good is it that we have a guy who has the genuine speed to be a title contender in next few years.

I think his mouth would have fallen off if he was smiling any harder - awesome work on the win.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Awesome result for Ricciardo, but surely the main most amazing thing us that the even with half its power unit fucked and its rear brakes missing, that merc was still good enough for second.

Gotta feel for cheko too, just in the wrong place when massa simultaneously ran out of patience and skill.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Rosberg should send Perez many cases of whatever he drinks, otherwise the Merc would have been lucky to get 5th. Without the yellow flag Vettel would have taken 2nd. I guess it proves the Renault isn't 80 hp behind though.

driftking

Wheel size expert
+1 Merc were lucky the force India was there they would have had a hard time finishing higher than 5th.
That crash at the end was crazy, great to see everyone is ok, I am surprised about the penalty it was a pure racing incident, perez continued his straight line as the road veered right, from what i saw he didn't actually turn into him, massa was following the road more and held his line, they just unluckily came together.

Rosberg was lucky to get away with the chicane cut it took Hamilton so long to get back in touch I really am surprised to see nothing been done, rosberg had a great race, you cant take away how much he was helped by perez and hulk, but ultimately championship wise 18 points on Hamilton is a huge gain.

Vettel I was really impressed with him on the podium interview, he was straight no excuses very down to earth about the car and the situation and consistently shifting the attention to Dan as it was his day. I think his always been a pretty good bloke, I know his had his moments but most drivers have, I think its just as vettel his moments were great exaggerated due to his stature. Either way I think his got a good relationship with dan.

Vettels avoiding that crash though between perez and massa was so dam lucky, more so when f1 cars have virtually zero visibility from behind and the sides.

End of the day redbull capitalized on the weekend and clearly came out winners in under powered cars, lots of luck of course but that's the game isn't it, its just as much about reliability as anything else. I enjoyed the race, even though it was stagnant for a bit that on the edge of will redbull over take the force india with there constant varying speeds in sectors kept it alive.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I forgot to mention about Seb, when Dan arrived at parc ferme he sat for a minute or so then when his legs worked again and got out Vettel came straight over to congratulate him on his first win. He kept out of the way letting it sink in until Dan was ready to get out. Seb might be a prick but that was just plain good sportsmanship. Reading the post race interviews 90% of drivers and teams gave their congratulations too, haven't seen that given so universally before.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
i think that the last night race how many crashes and brake failures. All this technlogy that fails and to save weight on brakes and brake pads then end with cars that cant stop in time.

i wonder when they might use soime common sense and go back to old brakes esp since what the point of saving all theat weight in youre car is into the wall at 200km cause you cant stop in time what is the point of saving that weight

Also those f1 cars sound like someone has chopped there balls off know with those engines no more good sounds down the starights anymore

I wonder what happened with all those corner cutting in the race whether half the grid will have pentalities
Spelling and grammar fairies please help! My eyes are burning.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think that the last night race how many crashes and brake failures. All this technology that fails and to save weight on brakes and brake pads then end with cars that cant stop in time.

i wonder when they might use some common sense and go back to old brakes esp since whats the point of saving all that weight in your car if its into the wall at 200km because you cant stop in time. What is the point of saving that weight?

Also those f1 cars sound like someone has chopped there balls off know with those engines no more good sounds down the straights anymore

I wonder what happened with all those corner cutting in the race whether half the grid will have penalties.
The brakes only failed due to the issues with the ERS,The ERS accounts for about 15% of braking at the rear axle, because they failed the brakes were over heated, rosberg managed to avoid this by moving his brake bias forward.

You cant play it safe in f1, well actually merc probably could at the moment due to how far in front they are but for the sake of reasoning behind why use the smaller brake to save weight. A driver will lose approximately 0.300s per lap for every 10kg of weight.
If the brake saves them 1kg ( I cant find the weight saving) that is 0.03 per lap, over a race that is say 50laps is 1.5seconds. A pretty decent margin in f1 terms.

Equally those discs are rotating mass so that adds a little more weight to acceleration and braking. It might be small but in f1 those small gains all make up big gains at the end. Ultimately every system is on the edge and the drivers are on the edge there is no point playing it safe unless you are like merc and have 30 seconds a race to play with. However if one team mate choose to say use the large rear brake then the other would take the risk and gain an advantage, for a driver you are not going to let your closest competitor a advantage no matter how small.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Finally got to watch the race. What a cracker! Can't think of a better lad to win a GP.

The chicane shenanigans with Rosberg and Perez(?) are just yet another example of how much the sport needs to take a look at itself with modern circuit design.

I realise the idea of asphalt run-off areas is to presumably reduce the risk of injury to drivers, marshals and spectators when a car runs off but surely they can still make it so that the driver is penalised somehow. I figure gravel is no longer in vogue for safety reasons but couldn't they just coat the run-off areas with Super-glue or giant magnets or something? (I hear there's a company called ACME who are good at that sort of thing...)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Pretty bloody chuffed I am, nicest dude to ever win a race and hopefully many more to come. ;)
The Perez penalty has some fluff behind it. The people who reviewed the situation had the driving standards guy that will observe the next race in Austria sit it on the hearing to get him p to speed with how it rolls. It was Adrian Fernandez, a Mexican and former manager of Perez. In short, they split and detest each other's company. Some are suggesting Fernandez had a fair say in the treatment. Shame it happened, Perez deserved a podium.
So ah, is Massa taking the same hormone pills as Hamilton? Fuck me he whinges at the smallest things to try and better his position yet when it comes to him having what he declares a faster car on new tyres and more energy than the rest, he just farts around and doesn't do anything! I was so frustrated watching him in the last ten laps, he seemed to just sit there and not try any moves. He got lucky when Bottas ran wide at the hairpin, I doubt Bottas would have bothered pulling over for him.
The next race is in Austria at the A1 ring (is it the Red Bull ring now?) and that is a great circuit. I loved that track all those years ago.