Formula One world championship

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not formula 1, but i found it hilarious that half the field on formula E ran out of battery power before the end of the race, even the guy leading into the final lap finished a minute behind the leader as he had to save battery. Race control couldn't manage the allowed power or length of the race when they had an unusual amount of safety cars. Normally its pretty good racing and the attack mode acts like a joker lap to mix things up since they all have the same power the rest of the time

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
not formula 1, but i found it hilarious that half the field on formula E ran out of battery power before the end of the race
You and this guy :p

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I watched a couple of forumla E races years ago and thought it was totally dumb - not the fact of it existing, just the way it was run, seriously, change cars mid race, what kind of stupid was that.
SO I was channel surfing the other day and it was jsut starting, si I figured, lets see how it is now... seems still stupid.
Seriously, it needs to be; heres the regs for the cars, heres the specs for the battery. Charge it up, you got to do X laps. GO! First across the line wins.
None of this Fan boost and whatever the other one was, attack mode or something equally stupid...and then the recalc of the battery after saftey car... Just charge, laps, winner. Simple.

No speaking of stupid... what the hell is gong on with this weeks GP am i too stupid to figure out? They keep saying FP Fri, qualy Fri, FP Sat, mini race Sat, then race Sun, but that doesnt seem to be whats going on... is it this race, or next race or what? So confused...but its been aloooong week at work.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I watched a couple of forumla E races years ago and thought it was totally dumb - not the fact of it existing, just the way it was run, seriously, change cars mid race, what kind of stupid was that.
SO I was channel surfing the other day and it was jsut starting, si I figured, lets see how it is now... seems still stupid.
Seriously, it needs to be; heres the regs for the cars, heres the specs for the battery. Charge it up, you got to do X laps. GO! First across the line wins.
None of this Fan boost and whatever the other one was, attack mode or something equally stupid...and then the recalc of the battery after saftey car... Just charge, laps, winner. Simple.

No speaking of stupid... what the hell is gong on with this weeks GP am i too stupid to figure out? They keep saying FP Fri, qualy Fri, FP Sat, mini race Sat, then race Sun, but that doesnt seem to be whats going on... is it this race, or next race or what? So confused...but its been aloooong week at work.
Next race I believe. Will be odd.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I am loving the reactions from the last race crash between George and Valteri. Wolfe saying respect the premier team but actually why was your driver in a position to be passed by a Williams? And George was just passing in a faster car. Go George!

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I am loving the reactions from the last race crash between George and Valteri. Wolfe saying respect the premier team but actually why was your driver in a position to be passed by a Williams? And George was just passing in a faster car. Go George!
I really like George and want to see him do well but there's little doubt both his immediate reaction and comments to the media afterwards were somewhat hot-headed, so I think Toto was right to give him a public slap down.

As for what Bottas was doing to be getting passed by him... yeah. My guess is if Hamilton can snag another Championship this year he'll retire just to nail a near clean sweep of the current regs, so we may see two new drivers at Merc next year.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I thought someone (Williams? Porsche?) had developed a battery that could last the whole race?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Toto could have given him the news without saying give way to the number 1 merc team. Like Albon last 6ear whining that the alpha tauris wouldn't get out of his way. There was a gap, go for it. I have no doubt Valteri's move baulked George. Jolyon Palmer did a comparison of Lewis passing Lando and said it was the same but Lando didn't cross the white pit exit line, Valteri did. That is a squeeze. George should have copped a penalty for slapping Valteri in the car though.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Race last night was good in places. No idea why McLaren put Daniel on hards with 20 to go. He had a new set of sorts, might have helped him pick up another place. Moto GP was good too.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All good, its very confusing...they talk like its happening later today...but it isnt for races yet... ugh

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What are people's thoughts on the Redbull flexy wing? Having watched the video and read the rules I reckon it is a case of Merc and maybe others whining because they didn't think of it themselves. To enact a rule change midway to apply a new test is bullshit. The rules simply state that the wing must withstand a load of xN and not deflect. While the intent is most likely that wings don't deflect under load if you give a set criterion and at some other positions the wing does something else then your rule is at fault not that the manufacturer is cheating. Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck if the wings did a fandango at speed as long as they meet the incredibly prescriptive rules laid out before the season started. The other teams were critical of racing point wanting the aero changes reviewed because they stuffed up and yet this is not much different... No fan of Max or Redbull but squeezing anything others haven't to gain a competitive advantage is part of the sport. I mean let's handicap Merc for the last 6 years for having the best engine?????

madstace

Likes Dirt
What are people's thoughts on the Redbull flexy wing? Having watched the video and read the rules I reckon it is a case of Merc and maybe others whining because they didn't think of it themselves. To enact a rule change midway to apply a new test is bullshit. The rules simply state that the wing must withstand a load of xN and not deflect. While the intent is most likely that wings don't deflect under load if you give a set criterion and at some other positions the wing does something else then your rule is at fault not that the manufacturer is cheating. Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck if the wings did a fandango at speed as long as they meet the incredibly prescriptive rules laid out before the season started. The other teams were critical of racing point wanting the aero changes reviewed because they stuffed up and yet this is not much different... No fan of Max or Redbull but squeezing anything others haven't to gain a competitive advantage is part of the sport. I mean let's handicap Merc for the last 6 years for having the best engine?????
I've gotta admit I haven't followed this one closely but seems the same ruling as Mercedes' DAS system should be how this one is judged - if the tech regs have been followed correctly then there shouldn't be any penalty or mid-season revision, just a loophole to be closed for 2022. Would prefer to see further track limit penalties applied anyway, nothing brings me greater joy than seeing Max's dumb smug smile wiped off his stupid face when he hasn't in fact got a fastest lap :D

On the point of 2022 regs, as exciting as the racing is now, I still can't wait for next years cars!

madstace

Likes Dirt
Interesting video on the subject...