Formula One world championship

driftking

Wheel size expert
One for the nerds. A comparison of every F1 driver in the history of the sport using the power of statistics.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26464195

Interestingly enough did you know that Australia can actually lay claim to more Drivers Championships than Italy can?
Great link POSM.
I give the older blokes a bit more credit, purely because they raced in the most dangerous times for f1 that's gotta be worth something extra.

akashra

Eats Squid
Yeah, there was definitely something loud going on down there around 8am - which I could hear all the way up at the University of Melbourne.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
There are always cars going out on track for promotional purposes and the like over the weekend. They aren't going full pelt for the whole lap though so it doesn't count as practise.

akashra

Eats Squid
One for the nerds. A comparison of every F1 driver in the history of the sport using the power of statistics.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26464195

Interestingly enough did you know that Australia can actually lay claim to more Drivers Championships than Italy can?
I've always thought this comparison in Motorsport to be simply stupid.

In any sport over time the average player has got better. People love to carry on about the careers of Don Bradman, Babe Ruth, Rod Laver, Ted Whitten, Wilt Chamberlain, but the reality was back in their day, the average player was probably about as good as most amateur players in todays age. The same is true of motorsport, but that also has one additional element of randomness - the car they're driving. Sure, Senna may have been a great driver, but the closest competition he had was what... a still developing Schumacher? Prost? Mansell? They've come from an era where other drivers in the field were Christian Danner, Alex Caffi, Yannick Dalmas, Bertrand Gachot and Luis Perez-Sala.

In modern F1 on the other hand, the only thing standing between most of the drivers on the grid and a WDC is a top car.

What would be an interesting stat is to only include records where the drivers team didn't finish top 3 in the constructors championship.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are always cars going out on track for promotional purposes and the like over the weekend. They aren't going full pelt for the whole lap though so it doesn't count as practise.
Do they ever practice starts? I know of one former F1 driver who would have benefited from more practice.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
The car this morning sounded very much like a V8 rather than a new engine. I'm guessing it was the twin seater minardi thing doing joy rides?

scblack

Leucocholic
In any sport over time the average player has got better.
No I disagree with that.

Over time, professionalism will have improved, training improved and analysis improved. But are they BETTER? I'd argue not.
Players of any sport back in the day were the best of that era, and they were competing against the best of that era.

So you're saying the better car wins a championship now? - probably but that's in part because the best TEAM has the best car, and they will attract the best drivers. That's no different now than it was in Senna's day.

But regardless comparisons of different eras for any sport is near impossible because of the rule changes, technology changes and umpteen other changes. So to say a player is better now is only a subjective assessment which has to account for many different factors.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
No I disagree with that.

Over time, professionalism will have improved, training improved and analysis improved. But are they BETTER? I'd argue not.
Of course they are. Success in the 100m sprint can only be measured in the time it takes to run 100m therefore Usain Bolt is BETTER than Carl lewis.

I'd happily bet that if you put Mike Tyson at his peak in a ring against Mohammed Ali or Joe Frazier at their peak, Tyson would win. If you then put him up against one of the Klitschko brothers, he'd probably lose. You've said it yourself. training has improved, analysis improved along with nutrition and technology and all these factors apply to the competition as well, raising the bar higher and higher.

scblack

Leucocholic
Of course they are. Success in the 100m sprint can only be measured in the time it takes to run 100m therefore Usain Bolt is BETTER than Carl lewis.

I'd happily bet that if you put Mike Tyson at his peak in a ring against Mohammed Ali or Joe Frazier at their peak, Tyson would win. If you then put him up against one of the Klitschko brothers, he'd probably lose. You've said it yourself. training has improved, analysis improved along with nutrition and technology and all these factors apply to the competition as well, raising the bar higher and higher.
Don't you farkin hate when you come up with an argument and it gets shot down with the same points you raised?

Yes fair enough progression of the athlete is always happening and they would beat players from a past era.

I'm off back to the Pub Trivia.

akashra

Eats Squid
The car this morning sounded very much like a V8 rather than a new engine. I'm guessing it was the twin seater minardi thing doing joy rides?
This was the first thing I noticed too. We know that the V6 Turbos have a much lower pitched sound, and even across the distance it sounded like the V8 sound we've known over the last few years, not a low BRRAAAAAAPPPPTTT ;)

Plow King

Little bit.
Well my picks are in. Its a shame there wasnt a "riots begin after all cars fail to complete 5 laps, the engines built by mexican toilet hygiene engineers with rubber mallets blew up in spectacular fashion. One man has launched a law suit after his wife was blinded by a plunger"

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

driftking

Wheel size expert
I am sitting with Mercedes, williams and the under dog force india for the teams.
drivers I can narrow it down to 5

hamilton, massa, rosberg, hulkenberg, botas alonso.

Im going to go with a gamble this race and say top 3
hamilton
massa
hulkenberg

The cars sound like balls. Still not a fan either. The on board is the worst. Good to see vettel might not blow out this season well at least not this race.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Wow, your telling me, they terrible......
They make me want to cry haha.

Hearing the noise of the old RB10 was good in the 3 way race they did.

Side note what do they do with the old cars? You cant sell them and you cant use them. what the hell do they do with them once they become too old to use for testing, just bin them?

p.s I do love the sound like really love it but in an f1 car im not a fan. although now they have turned the engine up after P3 is does sound a little easier on the ears.

Last edited: