Formula One world championship

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
they probably just sell the old ones off to various museums. Theres an old ferrari in the ferrari shop under the giant boat hotel in singapore.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Promotional stuff in the case of Red Bull. They seem to get a hell of a lot of mileage out of their older models- up mountains, across deserts, ice lakes, through construction sites, hanging them from helicopters, doing donuts on helipads etc.

hathill

Likes Dirt
How to own an F1 car

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/how-to-own-an-f1-car-20140313-34oib.html

They make me want to cry haha.

Hearing the noise of the old RB10 was good in the 3 way race they did.

Side note what do they do with the old cars? You cant sell them and you cant use them. what the hell do they do with them once they become too old to use for testing, just bin them?

p.s I do love the sound like really love it but in an f1 car im not a fan. although now they have turned the engine up after P3 is does sound a little easier on the ears.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To all the whiners about the noise. Welcome to the slightly raised voice of the future.

n.b. They are still fucking quick.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
This vid has some pretty cool cgi

[video=youtube;hFHmYFlbFn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFHmYFlbFn8[/video]

driftking

Wheel size expert
Its one thing to not be a fan of seb but to cheers when he didn't make Q3
That is just pathetically disrespectful I really hope the cheers were not for seb but they started when he crossed the line......

Looking forward to the race tomorrow I'm hoping for a bit of wet weather to really mix it up.
Hopefully as everyone works thier cars out hey are still this close together I'm loving this start to the season really hope it carries through just more refined.

Loving the new cars really making the drivers work even harder. Love it.

Q3 :D

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I think it was two fold Ricciardo beating Vettel and Vettel missing Q3.

Vettel is an awesome driver but I can't stand his arrogance, everyone needs a villan and he's mine.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Unfortunately missed it since I am in the wrong country. Great result Daniel. Is the 10 streaming available as a feed after the event? Got some time now.

driftking

Wheel size expert
check out the many HD sky sports streams. Ad and retired aussie F1 driver free.
Expensive bloody service though

So who else has their eyes closely focused on the newbie magnussen?

If we see these cars develop to the point where they are on par is this going to be the guy to take down the worlds best drivers. For an unseasoned and rookie driver he is really putting it down to the top drivers.
Is he going to be the driver who out drives his teams car this season.

This season seems to be shaping up as the start of the changing of the guards. The new younger drivers are now on par and at times starting to surpass those who have sat at the top for so long. Crowded podium racing is what I'm hoping for this season and looks to be shaping up well for this.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
That's good if we'll see a changing podium and the new cars certainly seem to more difficult for the drivers to drive bringing driving skills to the fore even more. But for a F1 noob who's been trying to get into the sport over the last two years why don't they allow refuelling during the race? I would rather see the cars going full throttle the whole race rather than having to manage economy, or does this tie in with the restrictions on the numbers of engines etc during the year?

I love the technology and qualifying but last year found the racing to be boring. Moto GP on the other hand IS racing with finishes coming down to the last corner, far more entertainment for this rookie. But I'm more than happy for an F1 expert here to provide an explanation for me on what I may or may not be missing.

Ivan

Eats Squid
That's good if we'll see a changing podium and the new cars certainly seem to more difficult for the drivers to drive bringing driving skills to the fore even more. But for a F1 noob who's been trying to get into the sport over the last two years why don't they allow refuelling during the race? I would rather see the cars going full throttle the whole race rather than having to manage economy, or does this tie in with the restrictions on the numbers of engines etc during the year?

I love the technology and qualifying but last year found the racing to be boring. Moto GP on the other hand IS racing with finishes coming down to the last corner, far more entertainment for this rookie. But I'm more than happy for an F1 expert here to provide an explanation for me on what I may or may not be missing.

There are a number of reasons I can see for the fuel limit, a lot of which I don't agree with, but some I do.

• It forces them teams to develop the ERS system to it's maximum potential.
  • It matches the road car development programs of the big manufacturers (Fuel efficient, turbo, ERS ala MClaren P1, Porsche 918, Ferrari Laferrari and many more cheaper cars to come).
  • It is a defacto horsepower limit, as well as reduces the engine development cost.
  • It looks good from a "green" technology perspective

Motogp was more exciting in the first 1000cc era. Politics have ruined it for the last 5ish years.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole

Refueling was pulled mainly as a cost cutting measure, the rigs themselves cost hundreds of thousands and it was seen as a good way to bring overheads down.
As above it also ties in well with the economy aims they're big on now.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Side note what do they do with the old cars? You cant sell them and you cant use them. what the hell do they do with them once they become too old to use for testing, just bin them?
Most teams have a gallery of their old cars, where at least one car will see out its days. Others become test hacks for new equipment & technologies, but many also get sold off to rich boys to play with in historic racing categories around the world. There is a Williams FW-07B car driven by Alan Jones during his championship year and a c. 1986 Ferrari F1 now residing here in Aus, which do the rounds at various historic events.

Nick Mason, former Pink Floyd drummer & avid racing car enthusiast owns several old F1 cars.