Formula One world championship

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Refueling was also cut for safety reasons as it's quite dangerous. Too many BBQs.
I'm not against all the new tech and fuel saving systems but I think the driver has too much to do. There is simply too many adjustments he has to make while driving. Diff, fuel, brake bias, comms ect. It needs to be pegged back a bit for safety reasons. Maybe get rid of diff and brake adjustments on the fly.
It's going to be an interesting year.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
A short-notice unplanned nightshift for tonight came up at work and work were a bit surprised when I volunteered for it. I wasn't asked as I'm on tomorrows chopper and they didn't think it would be fair to expect someone to do a full day of travel after a 12hr nightshift. Fuck that nonsense. I can sleep on the plane. Nightshift means I can watch the race this arvo!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Refueling was also cut for safety reasons as it's quite dangerous. Too many BBQs.
I'm not against all the new tech and fuel saving systems but I think the driver has too much to do. There is simply too many adjustments he has to make while driving. Diff, fuel, brake bias, comms ect. It needs to be pegged back a bit for safety reasons. Maybe get rid of diff and brake adjustments on the fly.
It's going to be an interesting year.
Aren't brake adjustments already gone because or all the ERS doohickeys?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I'm pretty sure there's more adjustments for the brakes via the steering wheel now they're electronic.

Yeah they can adjust brake bias via the cockpit.

I really don't know why hulkenburg is not on a high tier team. I understand the whole weight/size argument but teams need to look at the results.

He always out drives lighter drivers in better cars.
He out drives his lighter smaller team mates in the same car
He manages to be up there in many races above what the car seems to be capable of.

F1 is full of smart people how are they not seeing that his driving ability more than makes up for his weight.

I'm just glad to see his car is more competitive this season. Hopefully he can get some results he deserves.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
top work by ricciardo, hope he has a great season, he seems like such a top bloke
go to say tho bit dissapointed with the specatcle all up, im all for turbo power but think f1 needs to be 1000hp balls to the wall fire breathing screaming monster engined cars not the farty eco shite racing currently
hopefully they can wind up those turbos a bit more but with 1/3 less fuel than last yr doesnt seem like it
hopefully it gets better/faster

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
top work by ricciardo, hope he has a great season, he seems like such a top bloke
go to say tho bit dissapointed with the specatcle all up, im all for turbo power but think f1 needs to be 1000hp balls to the wall fire breathing screaming monster engined cars not the farty eco shite racing currently
hopefully they can wind up those turbos a bit more but with 1/3 less fuel than last yr doesnt seem like it
They were barely slower than last year and they arent even being pushed yet, plus all the changes have resulted in more battles rather than just cars sucking in dirty air and being unable to overtake, how could you not love that?

driftking

Wheel size expert
They had enough trouble with the current power delivery. 1000hp is just pushing it, it would probably make the racing slower as the car will be more timid and twitchy in corners, If they bring back the old down force and dial up the power that would be good, really it would be like now but just faster, but then tracks would need to be altered to make them safer.

The cars are only 3 seconds off last years Qualifying pace. With development through the year I wouldn't be surprised if they are matching the pace by the end of the season. Many races also are big on the straights and most time can be made in the straights, I wouldn't be surprised if some lap records are broke on the faster tracks that rely on straight line speed.

One of the main reasons they went with the eco was to help the development of tech that can be run down into consumer cars and remain at the forefront of developing cars, going to more power and more fuel, might as well return to last seasons cars.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Often a competitor does not a good commentator make. Just look at Alan Jones for instance.
Aligning Webber and Jones is ridiculous. They are polar opposites.

Anyway, Dan looks like having his result stripped for exceeding the fuel flow limit.

The FIA seem to enjoy creating bullshit rules.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah I have no problem with limiting the total fuel allowance, in fact I think it could be the best way forward; but limiting flow rates? Let them pump in more if they want, and then let them deal with the fuel management later on.

scblack

Leucocholic
Let them pump in more if they want, and then let them deal with the fuel management later on.
Huh?? - read what you just said. Pump in more - but deal with fuel management later?

Other way around my friend. Fuel management means extracting maximum horsepower from minimum fuel.

If RedBull broke the rules stiff shit. But I'd be spewing if Ricciardo loses his podium.

willsy01

Eats Squid
They're still in there debating it. They replaced the sensor in Dan's car pre-race as it was faulty.....also in Seb's car during FP3 which lead them to use an engine map that was down on power to make sure they complied with the fuel flow regs.

I see them winning this one. They'll be able to prove the actual fuel flow via the engine map and injector duration. That said, the FIA are a bunch of fucking retards so they'll probably throw the toys out of the cot and DQ them anyway......despite any hard evidence.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Huh?? - read what you just said. Pump in more - but deal with fuel management later?

Other way around my friend. Fuel management means extracting maximum horsepower from minimum fuel.

If RedBull broke the rules stiff shit. But I'd be spewing if Ricciardo loses his podium.
No comprende.

I'll try again: let the teams determine how much fuel they feed the engine at any point during the race. They've already got a cap on the weight they're allowed to carry, so why fight them over when they decide to use it? Allowing some freedom in usage can only be good for potentially adding more strategic variation to the races.

If team A want to pump more fuel into the engine in the opening stages of the race to try and give their driver a better chance of passing the field, they're obviously going to have to turn the wick down later on to try and manage their consumption.
Of course I don't actually give that varying strategy much chance of happening, because they always end up on the same strategy anyway: full tilt early, and deal with the complications later; because that's the most felxible strategy. That said, if the FIA already has a fuel limit imposed (the 100kg limit), then why limit flow rates as well?