Formula One world championship

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yeah just been reading it in the Fairfax papers. I'll be sad to see him go, he's always been a quality driver capable of the odd surprise and he seems like a hell of a sound bloke too.

I quite like the idea of Mclaren being the 'old farts' team and would liked to have seen him and Alonso in a competitive car next season.
I agree, I thought he was lucky to land the first few wins at Brawn but he demolished that theory! Who will replace him at McLaren you reckon?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I agree, I thought he was lucky to land the first few wins at Brawn but he demolished that theory! Who will replace him at McLaren you reckon?
It's got to be Kevin Magnusson. He's been part of the team for years, knows the joint inside and out, was unlucky to lose his seat (yet still managed to get a race this season) and Mclaren aren't in a position to be paying two big-name drivers.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yep, should be Kevin. Surely he's proven his worth and his commitment to the squad, can steer too.

akashra

Eats Squid
Magnussen is a good bet, but it would not at all surprise me if McLaren decide to start fresh and put Vandoorne in the seat.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I could do the Creative Services Manager role. Pity it is in the US. I can be very creative with my services.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Japanese GP run and won.

Hamilton’s win – meh! Although his move on Rosberg was strong, showed him who’s boss!

Alonso – must’ve got a talking to after his comments about the engine, sounds like he’s over it!

Verstappen – kid’s got talent, Ferrari should grab him instead of Bottas for 2017!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Japanese GP run and won.

Hamilton’s win – meh! Although his move on Rosberg was strong, showed him who’s boss!

Alonso – must’ve got a talking to after his comments about the engine, sounds like he’s over it!

Verstappen – kid’s got talent, Ferrari should grab him instead of Bottas for 2017!
I really wanted to hear Rosberg have a big cry over the move, he did to an extent but not to his usual standard. I laughed at Vettel's dig at him, Rosberg is such a fucking girl.
I hate seeing great drivers in a shit car (Alonso and Button), it's just a waste of time them being there and I can't blame them for ragging on the shit heap. Why people! Why does anyone assume Honda is going to get their engine up to speed and become a threat? They haven't done so since television was black and white! Tey are not ever going to be a good thing and have buried McLaren in the backend.

The open wheel highlight of this week has been seeing the Indycar teams test at Road America. It's way more exciting than the Grand Prix's we've been falling asleep in. The folks without Foxtel aren't missing much!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
From what we saw on TV, I would have sacked Rosberg for being an arsehole. Yeah yeah, you're claiming you're upset because you didn't win the championship but for fucks sake be a man about it and give the champ some appreciation. The atmosphere in the room when "hatgate" happened was so lame, Hamilton had no one to celebrate with. Fair call, he may have wanted some time to himself but I expected some more high fives or tears or something from the other guys in the room.
It's been a pretty drab season, I hope the 2017 changes make it more appealing.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
From what we saw on TV, I would have sacked Rosberg for being an arsehole. Yeah yeah, you're claiming you're upset because you didn't win the championship but for fucks sake be a man about it and give the champ some appreciation. The atmosphere in the room when "hatgate" happened was so lame, Hamilton had no one to celebrate with. Fair call, he may have wanted some time to himself but I expected some more high fives or tears or something from the other guys in the room.
It's been a pretty drab season, I hope the 2017 changes make it more appealing.
I've heard that Sebastian Vettel's balls are particularly itchy at the moment so hopefully that signals some significant changes...

akashra

Eats Squid
Sacking Rosberg seems a bit far over it, but I am seriously wondering how Rosberg would want to remain at Mercedes beyond 2015, aside from giving up what is clearly the best car on the grid. Aside from being second to the rest of the field, there would appear to be nothing for him to gain while Hamilton is also at Mercedes.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Sacking Rosberg seems a bit far over it, but I am seriously wondering how Rosberg would want to remain at Mercedes beyond 2015, aside from giving up what is clearly the best car on the grid. Aside from being second to the rest of the field, there would appear to be nothing for him to gain while Hamilton is also at Mercedes.
A hefty paycheck perchance? As WDC and Constructors champions (and a major car manufacturer) Merc have pretty deep pockets and driving a championship-winning 'Silver Arrow' will guarantee him more than enough cash in the form of personal endorsements and sponsorship deals.

The only teams with enough financial backing to credibly challenge Merc should the rule changes and/or any major design miracles level the playing field are Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren and none of them would see any benefit in taking Rosberg on in place of their existing superstars or young proteges.

That said, growing up in Monaco as the son of a World Champion and having had a fair amount of success in the last few years might make him a bit less cash-sensitive and he might look elsewhere but i'd imagine it'd be outside of F1 if that were the case.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'd like to see the reaction if Rosberg was to say Hamilton is getting all the good bits and has a faster car, that'd be ace.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Well, I can safely say that I'm glad that season is over as it's been the most boring and dull season of F1 and probably all of racing in my thirty years of watching it. I hope some manufacturers catch up and make for a better show in 2016 and I hope the 2017 changes make it an awesome series again.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I don't think even the drivers were aware there was a race on this weekend.

Worst season I can remember and I can remember the Schumacher years!
Foxtel has been running the one hour reviews from season's gone by. On Saturday night they ran the 1994 and 1995 seasons. I miss those days, they were as political and loaded with cheats as it ever was but the cars were a lot more lively, looked a lot better and the sound! It made for a batter show but uh, yeah............Schumacher was being Schumacher!

Plow King

Little bit.
Well that was terrible rubbish. The last 5 races I have literally watched at 30x fast forward for 95% of the race only to pause for accidents/overtakes of which there are few. I wouldn't mind so much if the cars didn't sound like shite.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Well that was terrible rubbish. The last 5 races I have literally watched at 30x fast forward for 95% of the race only to pause for accidents/overtakes of which there are few. I wouldn't mind so much if the cars didn't sound like shite.
Have followed F1 since 1979. This year I watched it on Monday mornings as background to doing the weekend business banking.

It really is at a very low point.

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
I concur with the sentiment above. Dullest season I can remember since I started watching in '85. I only ended up watching around half a dozen races this year (didn't even start until Monaco) and that didn't even bother me. F1 used to have a certain magic that had me salivating as each race approached (especially the first race of the season) and you could probably count the number of races I missed over the course of say a decade on one hand.

F1 truly is at it's lowest ebb in living memory, I hope it can recover but I'm not holding my breath. About the only thing I found remotely interesting during last night's race was the short dice between Button and Verstappen......how sad.