Formula One world championship

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I've talked the other half into going to the F1's in Melbourne...anyone got recommendations for which Grandstand seating?

I went in 2012 and GA sucked on race day, too packed!

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So I've talked the other half into going to the F1's in Melbourne...anyone got recommendations for which Grandstand seating?

I went in 2012 and GA sucked on race day, too packed!
I've sat in most of them, not sure of the names anymore but here s a summary of what I've done:
Main straight - thats the Fangio stand. You don't see much track action but opposite the pits means there's always something to look at and plenty of amenities behind you.
Inside turn 1 looking onto turn 2: It's a great spot, you see the end of the braking cycle, all of turns 1 and 2 and onto the next straight. Again, tons of amenities nearby but does stay in the sun all day and looks into the bright afternoon sun. With the later start to the main race, it's pretty brutal after 6pm.
Outside of turn 1: This was a good spot, you see the cars braking and turning and hitting turn 2. It's a bit cheaper than other spots and you get the same action.
Outside of turn 3: It's.............sheltered but not overly exciting. You see the odd bingle braking into turn 3 but it's a bit dull.
Outside of turn 9: Similar to inside turn 1 and 2, you see the braking, the next two turns and as the cars take off to start the third sector. It's a good spot and is on the cheaper side.
Outside of turns 11 and 12: I loved this spot. The cars come in from your right on the pace, bounce the two kerbs and always run wide. You see plenty of action here with cars running wide and sliding and you get a good bit of shade from the big tree behind. I sat their in 2008 on the 40 degree day and I was stoked, it was really good.Outside of turns 15 and 16: It's sunny all day, it's the cars at pretty low speed but picking the seats that look up the finish straight is beneficial. It's pretty dear but is a stadium like atmosphere.
My advice is to avoid all premium general admission, it's rubbish. Actually, all general admission is pretty basic if you aren't on the hill at turn 9 or on a good patch of grass on the inside of the track at turn 2, everywhere else is lame.
If I was to go again, I'd either drop the big sum of cash on the seats in the turns 1 and 2 areas or I'd go the back side of the golf course stand in turns 11 and 12.
Melbourne does put on a fantastic event with plenty of resources and action. Some other races around the world have shitty or no things to do between sessions and you just wait around. Look at China, they have done Grand Prix' with no support categories, just F1 on track. You sit around for two hours waiting for a session...................yawn.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've sat in most of them, not sure of the names anymore but here s a summary of what I've done:
Main straight - thats the Fangio stand. You don't see much track action but opposite the pits means there's always something to look at and plenty of amenities behind you.
Inside turn 1 looking onto turn 2: It's a great spot, you see the end of the braking cycle, all of turns 1 and 2 and onto the next straight. Again, tons of amenities nearby but does stay in the sun all day and looks into the bright afternoon sun. With the later start to the main race, it's pretty brutal after 6pm.
Outside of turn 1: This was a good spot, you see the cars braking and turning and hitting turn 2. It's a bit cheaper than other spots and you get the same action.
Outside of turn 3: It's.............sheltered but not overly exciting. You see the odd bingle braking into turn 3 but it's a bit dull.
Outside of turn 9: Similar to inside turn 1 and 2, you see the braking, the next two turns and as the cars take off to start the third sector. It's a good spot and is on the cheaper side.
Outside of turns 11 and 12: I loved this spot. The cars come in from your right on the pace, bounce the two kerbs and always run wide. You see plenty of action here with cars running wide and sliding and you get a good bit of shade from the big tree behind. I sat their in 2008 on the 40 degree day and I was stoked, it was really good.Outside of turns 15 and 16: It's sunny all day, it's the cars at pretty low speed but picking the seats that look up the finish straight is beneficial. It's pretty dear but is a stadium like atmosphere.
My advice is to avoid all premium general admission, it's rubbish. Actually, all general admission is pretty basic if you aren't on the hill at turn 9 or on a good patch of grass on the inside of the track at turn 2, everywhere else is lame.
If I was to go again, I'd either drop the big sum of cash on the seats in the turns 1 and 2 areas or I'd go the back side of the golf course stand in turns 11 and 12.
Melbourne does put on a fantastic event with plenty of resources and action. Some other races around the world have shitty or no things to do between sessions and you just wait around. Look at China, they have done Grand Prix' with no support categories, just F1 on track. You sit around for two hours waiting for a session...................yawn.
Cheers mate very comprehensive analysis of the seating! I need to have a good look at it, I totally didn't think about the sun either!

In 2012 GA was good for practice, we just wandered around all day. Qualifying we stood outside between 13 and 14, only a few people there. Race day we got a cramped spot on the hill inside turn 11, viewing wasn't that great to be honest!

I seem to recall waiting for the race was a bit boring, we were trackside hours before the start and there wasn't much going on! I really want a reserved seat for Sunday so I can just rock up whenever, I don't think the other half will be too keen waiting all day and as I get older crowds annoy me!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I really want a reserved seat for Sunday so I can just rock up whenever
Thats the single best benefit of having a numbered seat, that makes it worthwhile. Do some digging, I know they used to offer a package that sat you in a different stand each day and I thought that was brilliant. We did the same thing in Singapore and got to see tons of good viewing spots. It was called a flexi or something like that? That would be the best setup for you mate and the pricing was bloody good.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats the single best benefit of having a numbered seat, that makes it worthwhile. Do some digging, I know they used to offer a package that sat you in a different stand each day and I thought that was brilliant. We did the same thing in Singapore and got to see tons of good viewing spots. It was called a flexi or something like that? That would be the best setup for you mate and the pricing was bloody good.
Thanks again, looks like I have some research to do!

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And... Rosberg is out a here!

I actually thought there was like a 30% chance he'd retire... but didn't expect he actually would.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I actually thought there was like a 30% chance he'd retire... but didn't expect he actually would.
Yeah I’m a bit surprised but good on him, goes out on top!

Wonder who’s going to get the Mercedes seat?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

Good riddance to him, he's a wanker and his departure may make it actually interesting.

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
Bahrain tonight. For those of us without Foxtel/pay TV, can anyone recommend a streaming site to watch the race?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I normally use vipbox, crap quality but seems to work 90% of the time, once you get past all the popup click boxes

Robb

Likes Dirt
Bahrain tonight. For those of us without Foxtel/pay TV, can anyone recommend a streaming site to watch the race?

I've been using Acestream for the last year and a bit. Great quality, can normally find the stream hash on reddit

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
No one has mentioned Daniel's win in Baku and Seb's toys out of the cot? I am wandering Western Qld with no access to TV. Who saw it and was it a prime Aussie Bradbury performance and should Seb get 10 years in the stockade?

Big AC

Likes Dirt
No one has mentioned Daniel's win in Baku and Seb's toys out of the cot? I am wandering Western Qld with no access to TV. Who saw it and was it a prime Aussie Bradbury performance and should Seb get 10 years in the stockade?
The FIA is looking into the issue and whether the 10 second penalty was enough. Noting the general outcry that the penalty was piss weak I would expect a grid penalty in Austria.

Seb has brain failures when the pressure is on and things aren’t going according to plan. It’s frightening to think that Lewis was being the more mature one.

Well done Dan; however, there was a shed load of luck in it. The car looks better than in the first few rounds, but it still needs more grunt to really compete with Ferrari and Mercedes.