Formula One world championship

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Last night's race was pretty much a snooze fest after the restart but that brain fart by Hulkenberg and the carnage was unbelievable. I was very vocal about the halo and how fugly it is but I have to concede it does improve cockpit safety by a huge margin.

Imagine how this would have looked without leClerc's (as a watcher of 'allo 'allo, I struggle with this name) halo, which by the way was covered in paint and tyre marks. Alonso also stole a heap of parts off other cars embedded in his!

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Monza seems to have exposed Seb's occasional lack of race craft. Weird. Felt for Kimi and would have loved to see him translate pole to a win but Merc outsmarted Ferrari and without Seb up there it was not to be. I really think Ferrari missed an opportunity not picking up Daniel but that is history. Rumour seems to be Kimi has lost his seat next year in the main team.

As for Max his reaction to the well justified penalty makes him look even more the petulant child. He no doubt has talent but is he really maturing? Reverse the positions and Max would be screaming about being forced off track. No way did he leave a car width. Bottas would hgave probably run off track but ibtead was handed an easy position.

Renault spec C engine doesn't look like much either.

The rest? Hope that Renault's protest wasn't motivated by losing their Constructor's position to Haas.

Two Williams in the points, first and last time this year probably. Sir Frank is back as team boss.

Singapore will be interesting.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I don't mind Horner but Marko is a Class A tool.

I really hope it all pans out for Dan and his decision is vindicated. It's incredibly tough to make the right choice, history being littered with drivers capable of winning the title but for the wrong choice of team.

I'm quietly confident he'll be right at the pointy end before too long.
...Or they join the team that won the constructors & maybe drivers' champs the previous year, and the car for the new season is a stinky turd on wheels that goes nowhere but backwards.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
“I’m tripping major nut-sack right now … shout out to the team to get a one-two,” Ricciardo told Sky Sports after jumping out of his car.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So the season is done. Lewis is now a 5 time World Champion and Mercedes pick up the Constructors Championship again. Congratulations. Scary that Hamilton has won about half the races in the turbo hybrid era and Mercedes something like 65% (?).

In the end Vettel was a long way behind in what many are arguing was the better car.

Season was pretty forgettable though there were a couple of good races. I liked that Dan won in Monaco but that he could do so in such a wounded car doesn't bode well for the current rules. Dan was the overtaker of the year without doubt. Overtaking was better this year than last so that is a positive. Mercedes showed that they are good front runners and not that good chopping through the pack. Kimi's win a highlight and his give no fucks attitude refreshing.

Alonso steps away, at least for 2019, Kimi moves to Alfa and only two teams have the same line up with a few taking on new drivers.

Red Bull are hyping up the Honda engine and while there was authority to develop at any cost the Hondas still went through more power unit components than any other team.

Next year brings different aero rules and changes to tyres but it is hard to think anyone outside Mercedes or Ferrari will challenge for the titles.

I would like to see Renault advance and take out 3rd while Red Bull falter and finish behind Alfa and Haas and maybe Stroll but that is just wishing karma lands where it should in my opinion.

Mate and I are planning on hitting the Blegian GP and borrowing some hospitality from one of his former work colleagues. Who knows if that will happen though. Long way away.

Any thoughts?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Mate and I are planning on hitting the Blegian GP and borrowing some hospitality from one of his former work colleagues. Who knows if that will happen though. Long way away.

Any thoughts?
Abuse the hospitality before and after but camp at the track over the weekend. Big party/festival atmosphere.My old man and his brothers have done it a few times now.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm watching it now too, Nico and Daniel will be a much better pairing, let's hope the frogs are up to it!
I think as time goes by, manufacturers get more strength. No question that Red Bull make an excellent chassis but we are in a period, regulation wise, where manufacturers (both engine and chassis) have an advantage.

The integration of the whole package is so important. The one proviso is, Red Bull have sole use of Honda engines, given Torro Rosso is Red Bull B. They therefore have absolute input regarding engine packaging and integration.

Boom King

RIP Charlie Whiting....

Passed this morning in Melbourne, aged 66, as a result of a pulmonary embolism. He is a great loss to F1 and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
RIP Charlie Whiting....

Passed this morning in Melbourne, aged 66, as a result of a pulmonary embolism. He is a great loss to F1 and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.
What a shitty thing to hear of huh, only ever heard of good intentions with that bloke. :(
I doubt I'll watch the Netflix doco but I dare say Christian Horner makes all effort to win fuckwit of the world again? He's a dopey jerk.

Boom King

What a shitty thing to hear of huh, only ever heard of good intentions with that bloke. :(
I doubt I'll watch the Netflix doco but I dare say Christian Horner makes all effort to win fuckwit of the world again? He's a dopey jerk.
Max beats Christian to that hands down. It's like he wrote the book.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Max beats Christian to that hands down. It's like he wrote the book.
I lost interest in F1 post 2014 when the vacuum cleaners arrived and haven't had much to do with it but I get the impression this Max kid is a real jerk huh? Is he gonna grow out of it kind of thing or he's just a jerk for life?
I'm hoping to at least follow the series this year but can't stand the look of the cars still, its like every open wheel series other than F1 improves the look of the cars yet F1 seems to ponder on how to make the cars look and sound like rubbish with shit racing capabilities and then action it.
Actually, the clincher for me was a while back when cars needed five pit stops with tyres each time just to get to the end, I think it was Spain 2014?