Formula One world championship

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
He'd spend that money and more on parts he wrecks in a season surely.
I was told the McLaren and Honda thing wasn't working so well as McLaren built a chassis and Honda had to fit the engine inside it. Now I'm told Red Bull are building the car around Honda and it's giving Honda more freedom to make shit work. Seems like a thing yeah?

Yeah nah.

Newey at Red Bull will never build around an engine. He will tell the manufacturer what packaging he wants as the starting point and go from there.Red Bull had issues with Renault as a result, because Renault packaged ancilliaries according to their own needs and told them to deal with it.

The issue at McLaren was simply that it was a new Honda endeavor under the current engine regs and they made some critical design errors, as well as taking some time to get their heads around the technology needed.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
He'd spend that money and more on parts he wrecks in a season surely.
I was told the McLaren and Honda thing wasn't working so well as McLaren built a chassis and Honda had to fit the engine inside it. Now I'm told Red Bull are building the car around Honda and it's giving Honda more freedom to make shit work. Seems like a thing yeah?
+1. Having to make compromises to fit a maximally tuned and worked F1 engine into a pre-existing chassis space does seem to be completely retarded.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yeah nah.

Newey at Red Bull will never build around an engine. He will tell the manufacturer what packaging he wants as the starting point and go from there.Red Bull had issues with Renault as a result, because Renault packaged ancilliaries according to their own needs and told them to deal with it.

The issue at McLaren was simply that it was a new Honda endeavor under the current engine regs and they made some critical design errors, as well as taking some time to get their heads around the technology needed.
So Honda have actually had a good thing going on but were kinds limited from the start? Now a fresh start at Red Bull has them in a better position to kick goals? That makes a little more sense for sure.
Its had me stumped why Honda aren't much chop in F1 yet great at every other gig they partake.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Its had me stumped why Honda aren't much chop in F1 yet great at every other gig they partake.
My take is F1 is very European centric. All the main contenders are European backed teams and the drivers are as well. This probably goes back to the indy v F1 days, but you can even see some of the stuff wrt aussie drivers taking the back seat in favor of europeans. That's my conspiracy anyway.

Boom King

So Honda have actually had a good thing going on but were kinds limited from the start? Now a fresh start at Red Bull has them in a better position to kick goals? That makes a little more sense for sure.
No, Honda made some fundamental errors when they entered the game in 2015. It took some time to get back on track. Last year they partnered with Toro Rosso (Red Bull B) and would have been guided by Red Bull, as to what was required for this year in terms of cooling and packaging requirements.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Werid how Honda can work out thier fundamental errors but Williams can't....even with someone who should have been able to use some good ideas from Mercedes?

Boom King

Williams have issues that can't be fixed by hiring one person. They were the only team to be slower in Australia this year compared to last year, in fact, they were slower last year than they were in 2017.

They have very few spare parts, were not fixing some broken bits between practice sessions and apparently, are having difficulty obtaining materials for manufacturing parts.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Arrived home this afternoon and have a few thoughts about the GP. I haven’t had a chance to go through the pics properly so I just grabbed a few to put here.

Overall it was a great experience that I thoroughly enjoyed. Our accommodation in docklands was perfect, not expensive and yet close to the station and the trams and lots of fabulous food options. My mate is a coeliac and we had no trouble eating a different cuisine each day. A couple of standouts with Squires Loft starring though that could have been the wine…

I think the organisers did a good job and overall the transport was well managed though in 9 tram rides we nearly hit cars 4 times. One occasion had several people flopping in the aisles.

We were in the Ricciardo stand which gave a view of turns 3 and 4 and the next straight. All up we saw the cars for about 5 seconds each race lap and a big screen on the other side completed the picture. It is hard to balance looking at the cars, listening to the fairly crap local commentary and watching the screen. And taking photos.

The area we were in had about 2,000m2 of breakout area with seats and tables under trees and umbrellas. There was a large bar, a chicken and chip and kebab trailers for food. Outside we were right on the lake and we could take a break out there.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It was an easy walk to the fan zone and the main grandstand area though I didn’t head to the music or variety of bars up there.

Highlights were the access to pitlane and the roof top during scrutineering and of course the cars themselves. I am not interested in the v8s though the Carrera cup was not bad. The speed comparison is wasted at the track unless you are watching a screen. The F/A 18 and C17 fly overs were great.

Not so nice were the seats which are the typical hard plastic arse breakers and there was no dedicated smoking area, or rather there was but everyone ignored it and it wasn’t enforced so there were smokers in amongst the people eating. I will leave it at that.

Would I go again? Probably but I will look at other options and try and get additional pit lane walks. I had a mate who works for a technology sponsor of one of the teams and he fed me snippets and shots that sadly I cannot share here. It would be nice to get into the garages but that would require someone giving up a spot. Maybe next time for practice though we did score a limo drive home on Sunday courtesy of the silver arrows.

As for my trip to Spa that has now been called off due to family commitments which are more important, again maybe another venue later.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Beautiful images of the RAAF @Dales Cannon!
The smoking thing shits me at any event, just ban it altogether I say.
As for seating and vantage points around Albert Park; I've sat in every stand and seen every inch of the circuit over the years. The Fangio stand on pit straight is great for Sunday's action and always seems to be something going on looking up and down the pitlane.
The stands inside and outside of turns 1 and 2 are great, always some action in there and close to the good amenities.
Turns 3, 4 and 5? Good action is seen through there and a Formula One car at full tilt and flat through turn 5 is something else but get a wet day on that turn and you'll need some tissues, its astounding to watch.
Turns 6,7 and 8 are again okay spots to see the cars in action but not a lot of vantage points.
Turn 9 in the stand is good but very open to the elements. In days gone by turn 9 was a good spot for overtakes but nowadays thats pretty rare. The vibe in general admission from turn 9 through to the turn 12 exit is cool and always nearby stuff to see and do plus you can get almost up to the fence between 10 and 11 for some high speed thrills.
Turn 13 is a big wow and no one ever stands there. Get on the inside of the turn and stand at the fifty meter board to have your socks blown off by how good a Grand Prix is on the brakes and how it holds mid corner speed. Your best bet is to watch a saloon car then see an F1 there. Sorta the same at turn 13 for aero grip.
Turns 15 and 16 are good and the right seat in turn 16 can be one of the best spots on the track but again, you're gonna get hammered by the sun all day.
Best spot on the track to watch for me? The grandstand at turns 11 and 12 for on track action and inside turn 1 for action and great amenities, near a tram station etc.
I've been to 945252 races and ten Grand Prix. The Singapore event is all class with the setup but Melbourne still does it better, it is a really well run event and looks great on TV. Racing isn't the greatest spectacle in Formula One but the Albert Park circuit seems to entertain more than most.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Bahrain was a pretty amazing race. Gutted for LeClerk but he will come back. Vettel showed his fragility again. Impressed by the McLarens and wonder wtf is going on with Renault. Great result for Grojean.

Boom King

Interesting contrast between the two wunderkinds...

Leclerc is nearly impossible to dislike, Verstappen, on the other hand.......

Also, I'm no Lewis fan but I found his honesty and sincerity with Charles after the race very impressive.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Great result for Grosjean.
It's not hard to highlight how shit that person is.
I really enjoyed the race, was bloody good actually. Many are whining that DRS is not good for F1 but that race proves otherwise. More DRS zones please and thanks!

I agree Renault needs to find that magical pixie dust for Dan's car.

Ferrari's woes don't seem engine or aero, their car is fast down the straight and through corners. Yes it has troubles with keeping tires "in the zone" but a non-learned me, that would indicate it's a suspension / geometry issue seeing HAAS also is struggling with the same issue. And don't get me started on strategy and their preoccupation with Vettel. Yes he's won 4 Drivers Championships and is an outstanding achievement, none are with Ferrari. Charles should be treated as their #1. As a free agent where would Vettel go? Williams or team up with Kimi @ Alfa.

Between Ferrari, Renault, HAAS, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Racing Point, McLaren, Williams and Alfa, there's got to be close to or over £1 billion being spent annually and collectively they're not a patch on Mercedes. Seems like Ross Brawn and his engineers found the magic pixie dust back in 2013....

/End_Soap_box

Boom King

I'm no fan but just about any team on the grid would take a Vettel.

Renault need to throw a bundle of cash, and some interesting side projects, at Adrian Newey. Particularly given the new regs coming in year after next.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's not hard to highlight how shit that person is.
I really enjoyed the race, was bloody good actually. Many are whining that DRS is not good for F1 but that race proves otherwise. More DRS zones please and thanks!
Every car should be able to go DRS everywhere. Imagine how insane the racing would be then!

DRS in the pits. DRS off the line. DRS behind the safety car. So good.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ferrari need a strategist with balls. They need to be aggressive. Gifting the Mercs a free pass was bullshit. Pit early, 25 to go, and hammer the softs, come in again for new softs. Make the Merc run harder and see what happens.

Renaults have no front end grip. Dan's signature braking is gone until they sort that out.