Formula One world championship

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Wasn’t a mistake, they couldn’t have him come in and win a race straight off after being in last place all year - makes it too clear that Hamilton’s success is all in the car.

;)
Haha that did cross my mind too but making the team look deliberately incompetent af just to protect the image of your star driver is not something I'd imagine ze Germans doing. Besides, Bottas' reputation took a far bigger smack in that race than Hamilton's. If Russell can put in a repeat performance this weekend I wonder if they'll be any anxious contract re-negotiations at Mercedes next year....

In other news, is this the first time a car that isn't a Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull has won a race in like fucking ages?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Aha yeah obviously taking the piss, just doing my best to channel the anti-Hamilton BS that accompanies any F1 discussion :D
In other news, is this the first time a car that isn't a Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull has won a race in like fucking ages?
Yes, if you don’t count Gasly.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Aha yeah obviously taking the piss, just doing my best to channel the anti-Hamilton BS that accompanies any F1 discussion :DYes, if you don’t count Gasly.
Oh yeah of course. Red Bull B Team but still counts.

Yeah people really hate Hamilton hey. I think if you just switched his in car radio off you'd kill a lot of ammunition for that. Dude is probably the most complete F1 driver I've ever seen.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Bottas' reputation took a far bigger smack in that race than Hamilton's. If Russell can put in a repeat performance this weekend I wonder if they'll be any anxious contract re-negotiations at Mercedes next year....
Bottas' is a great team player, he's not going to upset Hamilton, team harmony in F1 seems important, ricc-verstappen I think didn't get along, despite that caravan wrecking vid to show otherwise

PS was there a lot of sparks coming from underneath cars on start lap? Several cars had sparks flying, what causes this?

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Yeah people really hate Hamilton hey. I think if you just switched his in car radio off you'd kill a lot of ammunition for that. Dude is probably the most complete F1 driver I've ever seen.
b ecause he is a cocksmack, yes good driver but a fucking cocksmack no the less, look at any HIGH end sports ALOT of the stars are twats , does not detract the fact they are very fucking good at what they do

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
b ecause he is a cocksmack, yes good driver but a fucking cocksmack no the less, look at any HIGH end sports ALOT of the stars are twats , does not detract the fact they are very fucking good at what they do
It takes a special kind of person to be the best.
Loic Bruni anyone?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Any interest in pre-season testing?

I got in late, but Mercedes were either a) not ready, b) sandbagging or c) maybe slightly off their usual impervious pace. Interesting considering I'd almost put money (at shit odds) on Hamilton wiping out another championship, saying ta thanks I got a near clean sweep of the current generation regs now I'm retiring.

Fuck it'd be awesome if Mclaren's test pace wasn't a fluke... new Merc engines have slotted in without breaking sweat and Riccardo looked very comfortable.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There is a question on the Mc rear diffuser. Legal ish. If they get called out I hope that wasnt the big advantage. Otherwise yes to all. Perez to take out Verstappen in the first race.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Perez is the latest victim of the Red Bull shithouse #2 driver management strategy. He shouldn't be there, and if Verstappen doesn't flatten him this season I'll be very surprised.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
meh, I rate Checo. I think he has more chance to do OK at RB than at Aston "my daddy is a billionaire and bought me an F1 team" Martin.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
There is a question on the Mc rear diffuser. Legal ish. If they get called out I hope that wasnt the big advantage. Otherwise yes to all. Perez to take out Verstappen in the first race.
No question, it's 100% legal. Any advantage is being overstated.

McLaren looked very good, just not good enough to challenge for the championship. Might pick up a win under the right circumstances though, probably more than a few podiums too. They didn't have the gearbox issues that Merc and Aston had because they aren't using the Merc gearbox and rear end.

Here's hoping for a championship with more than one team in the running.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Things I want to see this season:
  1. Perez beats Verstappen.
  2. Someone punches Verstappen
  3. Verstappen DNF's every race.
  4. Dan wins races.
  5. Ferrari don't fuck Sainz over.
  6. The world stops writing Lewis Hamilton off based purely on what the media says about him giving punters the impression the guy isn't what he is. The guy is a fucking lad, he loves planet earth and gives a ton of fucks about what goes on in the world. He's also the best driver on the grid (that's why he's in one of the fastest cars, der). I absolutely don't understand the hatred towards him; you all expect the big hitters in world sport to be robotic cocks like Schumacher? Pfft, he's all class and he deserves every accolade he earns. He'll be the winningest driver ever and it'll be a long time before anyone goes near the guy's success.
  7. 3) Verstappen DNF's every race.
  8. The rule makers admit that car racing has almost no relevance to what car's you and I buy and they make it super cool by making it loud and look good again. Lets get V10's back, high revs (20,000rpm minimum), tidy body work etc etc.
  9. The Australian Grand Prix goes ahead in full flight with fans and no COVID bullshit.
  10. Grosjean gets his license removed for all the colossal fucking crashes he caused and never drives an INDYCAR race. It's a total farce that that jerk has a drive in anything and stupidly sadly fitting that his last F1 race ended with him on fire.
  11. We see more cool race results from first time winners (think Gasly, Russell, Sainz etc etc). That's always super cool to see.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I absolutely don't understand the hatred towards him; you all expect the big hitters in world sport to be robotic cocks like Schumacher?
Yep. He's the most complete driver (possibly ever) and for a couple of seasons (2018-19 maybe?) he didn't make a single mistake. Plus unlike Schumacher he doesn't need to cheat to win championships.

I think a lot of the hatred comes from people bored of him winning and that he's not afraid to speak out. Personally, I think if he just toned down the whinging a bit on the radio during races that aren't going his way (or networks stop broadcasting it) that'd help a lot.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
meh, I rate Checo. I think he has more chance to do OK at RB than at Aston "my daddy is a billionaire and bought me an F1 team" Martin.
Ha, Stroll will get an easier run regardless given the team is in a transition phase and (unlike Verstappen) Vettel is long past his prime based on recent form.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Things I want to see this season:
  1. Perez beats Verstappen.
  2. Someone punches Verstappen
  3. Verstappen DNF's every race.
  4. Dan wins races.
  5. Ferrari don't fuck Sainz over.
  6. The world stops writing Lewis Hamilton off based purely on what the media says about him giving punters the impression the guy isn't what he is. The guy is a fucking lad, he loves planet earth and gives a ton of fucks about what goes on in the world. He's also the best driver on the grid (that's why he's in one of the fastest cars, der). I absolutely don't understand the hatred towards him; you all expect the big hitters in world sport to be robotic cocks like Schumacher? Pfft, he's all class and he deserves every accolade he earns. He'll be the winningest driver ever and it'll be a long time before anyone goes near the guy's success.
  7. 3) Verstappen DNF's every race.
  8. The rule makers admit that car racing has almost no relevance to what car's you and I buy and they make it super cool by making it loud and look good again. Lets get V10's back, high revs (20,000rpm minimum), tidy body work etc etc.
  9. The Australian Grand Prix goes ahead in full flight with fans and no COVID bullshit.
  10. Grosjean gets his license removed for all the colossal fucking crashes he caused and never drives an INDYCAR race. It's a total farce that that jerk has a drive in anything and stupidly sadly fitting that his last F1 race ended with him on fire.
  11. We see more cool race results from first time winners (think Gasly, Russell, Sainz etc etc). That's always super cool to see.
A good list. I'm in particularly fierce agreement with points 1, 2, 3, and 7. Also 4 and 6.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Without doubt Lewis is a special driver but George showed how much of his dominance is the car which puts Bottas performances into perspective. Likewise Perez when Hulk came in, Perez is average at best