Formula One world championship

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Jack Doohan on pole for the F2 feature race. He's hit the ground running in F2 that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Overall I think the cars look OK, but I don't like the wheel cover things, i know they serve a purpose, jsut think they look shit.
And the rear wings...they just look...stupid. Like an old Hot Wheels car or a F1 winf from 70's when they knew a wing would help, but had no idea how to actually make them. Just all big and bulbos adn yuk.
But I'm sure in 5 years they will look normal.

madstace

Likes Dirt
I generally think the cars look great (Merc not so much now) but agree the rear wing is a challenge to look at from certain angles. It would be nice if it was a bit more squared off, but obviously is shaped that way given its intent. I could take or leave the wheel fairings, wonder if they could be a bit more minimalistic.

One thing is for certain, when they do side by sides with the previous gen cars, it's clear how ridiculous they'd become visually with all the "sticky-uppy" bits. Much prefer the new cleaner look.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Disastrous quali from McLaren :) Oh well, here's to the next 21 races...

Amazing to see an Alfa and a Haas in the top 10 though. And Ferrari and RB separated by thousandths.

One thing is for certain, when they do side by sides with the previous gen cars, it's clear how ridiculous they'd become visually with all the "sticky-uppy" bits. Much prefer the new cleaner look.
Yeah, the bargeboards had gotten out of hand. Agree with you about the rear wing, especially with the DRS open it looks weird. I saw a photo of a 2017 front wing somewhere the other day, and I couldn't believe how complicated they used to be.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
and I couldn't believe how complicated they used to be.
to create dirty air. i stopped watching f1 because of it, it all got too boring and predictable follow the leader races often happened and combine that with the start times.

haha no i'm not staying up till 1-2am on a monday morning just to watch a sport when i have to be up at 5am.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Disastrous quali from McLaren :) Oh well, here's to the next 21 races...

Amazing to see an Alfa and a Haas in the top 10 though. And Ferrari and RB separated by thousandths.
Yeah that was painful to watch. I'm sure Danny will catch up, but it seems maybe the Merc group as a whole are struggling. Maybe the factory team are actually doing a Red Bull of old and have a decent car that's offsetting a power deficit.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
HAAS needs to calm down. Even more lols Mazespin can't be a part of it (read: fuck it up).
But I'm sure in 5 years they will look normal.
I think it's kinda like the Halo, when it was introduced it looked well weird but they've managed to integrate it so well into the overall design now I think it looks good. Some stuff never works though - the huge central spines on the 2017 cars will always look stupid.
Yeah, the bargeboards had gotten out of hand. Agree with you about the rear wing, especially with the DRS open it looks weird. I saw a photo of a 2017 front wing somewhere the other day, and I couldn't believe how complicated they used to be.
Kinda like the switch over between 2008 and 2009 - new cars looked so much cleaner.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As much as I would like Russel to beat hamilton in every session from now till forever...huge LOL's at Bottos out qualifying him... if only it had have been ahead of hamilton as well.

smaj

Likes Dirt
HAAS needs to calm down.
Heh, no doubt their power steering or something will give up on them during the formation lap.

One explanation for the fast times for all the Ferrari-powered cars seems to be their traction out of slow corners is excellent (I think the commentators mentioned this too?). At least Haas and Ferrari share the same rear suspension, maybe Alfa now as well. Might explain something.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Hurt watching the McLaren's languishing at the back. It would seem there's definitely a deficit the Mercedes powered teams have against the Ferrari powered ones, bit of a worry with the engine specs/regs squared away for 4 or 5 years. Good thing I like the current Ferrari line up, and while I really rate Carlos, Charles was masterful against dickhead features. Not gonna lie, it was glorious watching RB fall on their face right at the end. More of that please!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
That was nuts. wtf happened to the red bull cars?? seems that the fuel system shat itself running low fuel load on that E10 crap. looks like red bull didn't do the same testing that revealed the E10 low fuel issue to other teams, who seemed to get it sorted.

Very happy for Kevin Magnussen. That is an awesome result. first race back and P5 + 10 points. Guenther would be fucking stoked :D
edit: Guenther was definitely stoked ;)

Kevin, that was some FUCKING VIKING comeback!

Great result for Bottas & Zhou too. The Ferrari engines must be pretty sweet units.

Last edited:

smaj

Likes Dirt
That was nuts. wtf happened to the red bull cars?? seems that the fuel system shat itself running low fuel load on that E10 crap. looks like red bull didn't do the same testing that revealed the E10 low fuel issue to other teams, who seemed to get it sorted.
I've been out of the loop for a bit this week. At first I heard it was the fuel pump, but lately the rumour seems to be RB are stressing the energy store too much (possibly related to Gasly's MGU-K catching on fire). It might make sense that no other teams have had problems with the spec fuel pump, but then again most of them took advantage of the FIA letting them swap it before the race.

Great result for Bottas & Zhou too.
Yeah, excellent debut from Zhou. Guy didn't look too out of place, unlike Tsunoda last year. I don't follow the lower formulas though, was Zhou any good in them?

Ferrari and customers look to have low speed traction sorted, and Ferrari seem to have the edge on RB so far in the rest, though RB's braking performance (from the traces I have seen) still looks superior. Should be close.

Dan was saying he just treated the race as a testing/practice session that he missed out on, thus the weird final pitstop for Softs. Saudi Arabia's kind of a weird track, so I'm not expecting any improvements from McLaren, but maybe by Melbourne or Imola they'll have the brakes sorted.

The cars look so stiff on track, I wonder what they'll look like at really bumpy circuits.

smaj

Likes Dirt

I didn't realise at the time, but the explosion at the nearby oil refinery during FP1 was actually a rocket attack. No wonder they had the big driver's meeting that delayed FP2.

Mercedes still bouncing around. McLaren matching others in S1, but losing big time in S2/3. Long runs looked about 6-7 tenths off Mercedes pace to me.

All the replacement PU components might hurt some teams towards the end of the season. Still too early to tell if Merc and Ferrari have a more reliable PU though, I guess.

Shame Doohan has to start from the back, after qualifying third; not enough fuel for the FIA sample.