Forrest 6 Hour - June 5 2011

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
Wet weather policy

I understand the need to protect the trails, however I hope postponement can be avoided. As we've booked and paid for accomodation in Apollo Bay this weekend, I'd rather ride fire trails for 6 hours, because I won't be able to make it down the next weekend. Any prospect of a refund if the date is changed?

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
I understand the need to protect the trails, however I hope postponement can be avoided. As we've booked and paid for accomodation in Apollo Bay this weekend, I'd rather ride fire trails for 6 hours, because I won't be able to make it down the next weekend. Any prospect of a refund if the date is changed?
Our permit conditions state that we must have in place and publish different options.

Two of those options are for wet weather and local severe weather warning. They are of course last-resort options without which there would be no event permit.

Elders weather forecast does not indicate a situation where the event would be postponed, unless you have a direct line to the weather gods, it remains an option.

Course condition will be monitored over the week-end, and course changes are possible.

Continuing to run events as they have in the past is no longer acceptable to the land managers.

The trail network in its current state is not sustainable over a full 12 month period. We have been working very hard to put some short-term fixes in place while the long-term solutions are being planned. This is happening with the full support and assistance of the land managers

Roland

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to hear Roland.

Very keen for this weekend to arrive. Finished setting up the bike today (new chain), a quick spin around the streets tomorrow to settle it in and she'll be good to go.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
Good to hear Roland.

Very keen for this weekend to arrive. Finished setting up the bike today (new chain), a quick spin around the streets tomorrow to settle it in and she'll be good to go.
best way to break in a new chain in the abrasiveness of a sloppy mud......

Does that mean you are going SS Stevob? I will unfortunately be taking the soft approach of a Dualie with gear.

Stons

Likes Dirt
Been watching the weather closely... Looks like the rain might come late in the afternoon. Hopefully after 4pm!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
best way to break in a new chain in the abrasiveness of a sloppy mud......

Does that mean you are going SS Stevob? I will unfortunately be taking the soft approach of a Dualie with gear.
Come on Lanky, you know I only ride single speed. You should take the KM for a spin.

BTW, I'll be breaking in a new chain in those conditions as well.:p

Off for a light spin now, if there is such a thing...

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Parking

G'Day All,

Just in case the weather gets in early on Sunday, could you please park all vehicles facing downward toward the exit road.

A layer of gravel has been added since last year and the spoon drains have been made more weather proof.

Parking this way will ensure everyone can exit quickly and safely after the event.

Don't forget to give to the tin rattlers as you come in.

We use these funds to help send a junior race team over to the National Champs each year.

Thanks

Roland

Norm & Roland, over the next couple of days could you please do us a favour and keep us regulary updated on the rainfall. It will help with gear planning for the day. Ta guys

JessD

Likes Dirt
Pack for rain and cold

Norm & Roland, over the next couple of days could you please do us a favour and keep us regulary updated on the rainfall. It will help with gear planning for the day. Ta guys
Ross at the risk of sounding negative, which i dont mean to do...
I personally will be packing a very warm SKI jacket, a big polar fleece blanket, I will not be using crossmark style tyres, but instead my fave rocket rons which are good in wet or dry for forrest trails.
It will be cold, the chance of sun is not in our favour.
Prepare for puddles, prepare for cold, prepare for some rain.
Forecasters are saying we will get some rain around lunchtime on Sunday.
It wont however (or its not scheduled to be) a repeat of the Jeep 24hr style weather...or pre Otway Odyssey rain fall.

Trails are in amazing condition thanks to the Forrest MTB & cycling club for packing in those puddle holes and getting some serious drainage done.

Ross at the risk of sounding negative, which i dont mean to do...
I personally will be packing a very warm SKI jacket, a big polar fleece blanket, I will not be using crossmark style tyres, but instead my fave rocket rons which are good in wet or dry for forrest trails.
It will be cold, the chance of sun is not in our favour.
Prepare for puddles, prepare for cold, prepare for some rain.
Forecasters are saying we will get some rain around lunchtime on Sunday.
It wont however (or its not scheduled to be) a repeat of the Jeep 24hr style weather...or pre Otway Odyssey rain fall.

Trails are in amazing condition thanks to the Forrest MTB & cycling club for packing in those puddle holes and getting some serious drainage done.
Thanks Jess. Great advice as always. Got the Ronnys on ready to go and looking forward to some good racing. 32 in the 40+ category is going to make for a competitive race for the old boys. Giddy Up.