FOUND Crown race adapter

PJO

in me vL comy
Item: Crown race adapter to fit 1 1/8" fork to 1 1/2" crown race
Price range/Willing to Pay: <$20
Extra Info: Something like the Hope HS136.
Have an old straight steerer fork which works fine except I just acquired a works components headset to slacken the stupidly steep head angle on my sons next frame. The guy selling it only had the appropriate crown race for a tapered headset, even though works make a reducer crown race. I have seen a number on Ali express that might work but hard to tell...

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Item: Crown race adapter to fit 1 1/8" fork to 1 1/2" crown race
Price range/Willing to Pay: <$20
Extra Info: Something like the Hope HS136.
Have an old straight steerer fork which works fine expect I just acquired a works components headset to slacken the stupidly steep head angle on my sons next frame. The guy selling it only had the appropriate crown race for a tapered headset, even though works make a reducer crown race. I have seen a number on Ali express that might work but hard to tell...

View attachment 386769
Think I might have something will look in the parts bin.

Reactions: PJO

moorey

call me Mia
Just the race? I’ve got this sort of thing. Fits on 1 1/8 steerer, runs in 1 1/2 lower (tapered).

moorey

call me Mia
On my various anglesets, the race was the same, it was the cups that changed. but I can’t be 100% sorry.
Happy to post one to try, though the bevel can vary with different headsets and their bearings.
Let me know if you want to try one it nothing else pops up.

PJO

in me vL comy
On my various anglesets, the race was the same, it was the cups that changed. but I can’t be 100% sorry.
Happy to post one to try, though the bevel can vary with different headsets and their bearings.
Let me know if you want to try one it nothing else pops up.
I'll have the headset and crown in my hands tomorrow so will check the bevel and take a photo or two, might just be able to eyeball it to see if yours might fit.
Will also see what @Litenbror has in his parts bin...

nathanm

Eats Squid
I just pulled some boxxers off of a Mongoose bootr that came with some kind of 1.5 - 1 1/8 adapter you can try for nothing. If I didn't bin it of course or loose it somewhere under a workshop bench.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
They may work, my only concern is the size of the flange, this is a pic of the works components one:

The reason I posted up the Hope one is that you use the crown race for the tapered fork and the Hope adapter just sits between the fork steerer and the original crown race (which I will have).

PJO

in me vL comy
Not yet, I don't have a caliper at work best I can measure is the crown race has a a rubber seal around the outer edge with maximum diameter of 53mm.

The bearing is recessed into the bottom headset cup so there is a lip inside which the crown race seal runs. It looks like an ordinary reducing crown race won't fit because they have big lips!!

Reckon I'm either going to have to find an adapter like the Hope one I posted a picture of above or stump up for the genuine Works reducer race.

edit: fork larity

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Slam noeys.

Not a Cane Ck or at least unsullied by branding. ZS49(50?)/30 I guess. 49.75 OD, 30 ID, 13 high total with a 2mm flange on the bottom that is 54.88 dia. No 1.125" crown race though but that should be easy.