TAS [Found] Custom machined/CNC'ed post mount brake adapter?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well got the reply from Marino, i'll pop a screenshot below rather than transcribe. Man, I dunno. If the posts were in the right spot for 180mm, a SM-MA-203 P/PM adapter (+23mm) would/should therefore put the caliper in the exact right spot for a 203mm rotor. Seems they're somehow welding up a non-standard 180mm mount and expecting that people will use cup/cone washers both under and over the caliper in a non-standard way. Odd.

Anyways, i'm just going to make up some spacers from either the stuff leitch linked, or cut up another PM adapter & make it work. shrug

Attachments

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Well got the reply from Marino, i'll pop a screenshot below rather than transcribe. Man, I dunno. If the posts were in the right spot for 180mm, a SM-MA-203 P/PM adapter (+23mm) would/should therefore put the caliper in the exact right spot for a 203mm rotor. Seems they're somehow welding up a non-standard 180mm mount and expecting that people will use cup/cone washers both under and over the caliper in a non-standard way. Odd.

Anyways, i'm just going to make up some spacers from either the stuff leitch linked, or cut up another PM adapter & make it work. shrug

View attachment 386264
Actually that's exactly the way that Avid used to do it... in the dark ages.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

View attachment 386264
Fkn lol. Someone needs to explain cup and cone washers don’t work when they don’t have both halves paired together!

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fkn lol. Someone needs to explain cup and cone washers don’t work when they don’t have both halves paired together!
I did just notice that lol, yeah i'm pretty sure in that picture they've got the caliper between both halves. That's a picture Marino sent as an example of how the brake should be mounted. Man I don't know what to think anymore haha

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Long shot, but based on initial quotes from CNC machining/fabrication shops, getting a one off isn't going to be favorable cost-wise. Anyone with access to tooling required (band saw, drill press?) able to cut or machine the below out of 10mm alu stock?

Item: Custom post mount adapter
Price range/Willing to Pay: ?? (CNC quotes been around the $300 mark, can't really justify that)
Extra Info: +2.6mm front, +3mm rear

STEP file link

View attachment 386248
Any laser cutting/water jet place should be able to cut that and you just manually drill the holes.
I have a basic drill press to drill the holes.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
For a basic part without any fillets & without the holes, $58 USD in a raw finish at +/-0.127mm tolerance. Still a fair bit, but more than good for a one-off part and much more justifiable than $300 AUD.
If Marino can't weld on the bracket in the correct place, I'd be going for a filed/machined down standard bracket with the CPS system, as it's just as likely the bracket isn't welded on straight either

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Ahhh, there we go. For a one-off CNC job, that gives a somewhat reasonable price. Might just go with that.
Ummmm, haven't we established that once you implement the intended cup/cone washer mounting correctly (as per the Avid doc I linked earlier) that there is no need for the custom bracket??? Or am I missing something...

Your photo's in post #12 show that you are missing the lower cup/cone assemblies.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ummmm, haven't we established that once you implement the intended cup/cone washer mounting correctly (as per the Avid doc I linked earlier) that there is no need for the custom bracket??? Or am I missing something...

Your photo's in post #12 show that you are missing the lower cup/cone assemblies.
The adapter I have (SM-MA-203 P/PM) does not require the bottom cup and cone to situate a caliper at the correct height for the rotor, and is supposed to be installed directly on to standard 180mm post mounts with the caliper directly on that - with cup/cone only on top to correctly align bolt surface. The old style Avid mounts that had cup/cone on both bottom and top were thinner to account for the extra thickness, so that a caliper would be in the right position. From what I can tell, Marino has welded the mount assuming that you use a cup/cone on both bottom/top of a newer adapter which are not supposed to have cup/cone under the caliper, meaning the mount is not in the standard 180mm direct post mount position that is standardised & all other modern bikes have.

There's also the point that a cup/cone has a total height greater than 2.6/3.0mm, so even if I were to install them where they shouldn't be required, my caliper is going to be sitting too high to mate with the rotor correctly anyway.

Last edited:

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
There's also the point that a cup/cone has a total height greater than 2.6/3.0mm, so even if I were to install them where they shouldn't be required, my caliper is going to be sitting too high to mate with the rotor correctly anyway.
So Avid CPS system and (even a bit of ham-fisted) filing of the original adaptor to reduce height will be the most cost-effective option, and offer the best alignment as well

dazz

Downhill Dazz
The adapter I have (SM-MA-203 P/PM) does not require the bottom cup and cone to situate a caliper at the correct height for the rotor, and is supposed to be installed directly on to standard 180mm post mounts with the caliper directly on that - with cup/cone only on top to correctly align bolt surface. The old style Avid mounts that had cup/cone on both bottom and top were thinner to account for the extra thickness, so that a caliper would be in the right position. From what I can tell, Marino has welded the mount assuming that you use a cup/cone on both bottom/top of a newer adapter which are not supposed to have cup/cone under the caliper, meaning the mount is not in the standard 180mm direct post mount position that is standardised & all other modern bikes have.

OK yep. All Shimano so I think you are on the money. MTB standards! Gotta love it, lolz..