ACT FOUND: Spring for a big boy

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Item: heaviest available spring for 2004/5 Fox Vanilla R
Price range/Willing to Pay: no idea what a used/old spring goes for, but I imagine up to 50 bucks?
Extra info: pic below of current spring, mate who is taking the Iron Horse SGS it's on is 140kg.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Same size as the later Fox shocks I assume? I have a Fox 650lb (2.4" travel) SLS spring. It's Fox orange if that bothers you.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Same size as the later Fox shocks I assume? I have a Fox 650lb (2.4" travel) SLS spring. It's Fox orange if that bothers you.
Can anyone answer whether it would fit? Is the 2.29 printed on mine the travel? The diameter is 49mm and the max length that would fit is 140mm so I guess if it fits in that space it would be ok.

beeb

Can anyone answer whether it would fit? Is the 2.29 printed on mine the travel? The diameter is 49mm and the max length that would fit is 140mm so I guess if it fits in that space it would be ok.
Derp, yep measurements would help wouldn't they!

Free length is 126.4mm, ID of coil is 36mm and OD of coil is 53.5mm. 61mm/2.4in is the rated max travel of the spring. So if the 2.29 isn't binding, you should be fine in that regard!

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
I may have a 700lbs or 800lbs Manitou spring at home for a 2.4" stroke from memory.

I've also got a few old Fox Vanilla springs.
The old Fox Vanilla Springs had a small ID and will not fit on any current shocks. Smaller ID as in less than 35mm.
You could run larger ID spring but will need to do some packing around both spring retainers, otherwise it will be like a dick in a shirt sleeve.

You can run a larger stroke then designed for your shock. Example, if you have a 200mm eye to eye shock which has a 57mm stroke and stock spring says 500lbs X 57mm. You can run a 500lbs X 76mm stroke spring. ONLY if the actual spring fits.

To measure this, measure from the shaft spring retainer clip (the one you can remove to take spring out) to the top of the shock body where the threads are for the retainer clip. If that measured around 155mm etc, the actual length of spring that you can use is 5-7mm shorter bwcause you need to allow for the stroke/shaft retainer clip to slide over the shaft etc.

Let me know what the max length spring you can take and I'll have a look when im home on the 8th December.

Cheers

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I may have a 700lbs or 800lbs Manitou spring at home for a 2.4" stroke from memory.

I've also got a few old Fox Vanilla springs.
The old Fox Vanilla Springs had a small ID and will not fit on any current shocks. Smaller ID as in less than 35mm.
You could run larger ID spring but will need to do some packing around both spring retainers, otherwise it will be like a dick in a shirt sleeve.

You can run a larger stroke then designed for your shock. Example, if you have a 200mm eye to eye shock which has a 57mm stroke and stock spring says 500lbs X 57mm. You can run a 500lbs X 76mm stroke spring. ONLY if the actual spring fits.

To measure this, measure from the shaft spring retainer clip (the one you can remove to take spring out) to the top of the shock body where the threads are for the retainer clip. If that measured around 155mm etc, the actual length of spring that you can use is 5-7mm shorter bwcause you need to allow for the stroke/shaft retainer clip to slide over the shaft etc.

Let me know what the max length spring you can take and I'll have a look when im home on the 8th December.

Cheers
Thanks mate, beeb is sending his one my way and it sounds from what you're saying that it will fit with some packing, but if the Manitou is 800 lbs that might be even better for my super heavy pal and I can move the Fox one on to a new home. @beeb I'll pull it off tomorrow and check the ID, if it's way off might be best to hang on to it and you'd probably get more than the deal you did me on eBay or Facebook.

beeb

Thanks mate, beeb is sending his one my way and it sounds from what you're saying that it will fit with some packing, but if the Manitou is 800 lbs that might be even better for my super heavy pal and I can move the Fox one on to a new home. @beeb I'll pull it off tomorrow and check the ID, if it's way off might be best to hang on to it and you'd probably get more than the deal you did me on eBay or Facebook.
No dramas, I'll hold off for now. Shoot me a message when you've decided.

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Oh and @dh.demon i measured as you said for length and max would be 140mm.
Hey mate,

So it's a Manitou 700x2.25 (Fox standard steel spring are measured to each springs actual compression amount, most manufactures just label it standard stroke/travel. ie, it will work)

Free length: 137.5mm
ID: 36.25mm
OD: 54.80mm

Now, both mine and Beebs springs have a wider ID than your 31mm Fox Vanilla spring. So therefore, our springs would be loose and rattle and potential to move and slide. If you put a bit of preload on it it may help but i wouldn't like to try it and zero preload is best.
I'd look at grabbing both springs and put the spring in the shock/bike and get your mate to try and see how it feels.
Measure how much room you have to play with and get a shim machined up if the spring is suitable first... something like a 1mm flat section to sit around both retainers with 2.5mm slot to sit inside the spring etc. something that is a dry lubricating material will be even better than just metal but see what you can do.

Let me know if you want to give it a go.

Cheers

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Hey mate,

So it's a Manitou 700x2.25 (Fox standard steel spring are measured to each springs actual compression amount, most manufactures just label it standard stroke/travel. ie, it will work)

Free length: 137.5mm
ID: 36.25mm
OD: 54.80mm

Now, both mine and Beebs springs have a wider ID than your 31mm Fox Vanilla spring. So therefore, our springs would be loose and rattle and potential to move and slide. If you put a bit of preload on it it may help but i wouldn't like to try it and zero preload is best.
I'd look at grabbing both springs and put the spring in the shock/bike and get your mate to try and see how it feels.
Measure how much room you have to play with and get a shim machined up if the spring is suitable first... something like a 1mm flat section to sit around both retainers with 2.5mm slot to sit inside the spring etc. something that is a dry lubricating material will be even better than just metal but see what you can do.

Let me know if you want to give it a go.

Cheers
I'll shoot you a PM, definitely the heavier spring will be the go and @beeb's is an SLS so he should sell it to someone else on Facebook for heaps ;) I'll ask @Dales Cannon about the shim, I reckon 32 ID 36 OD and I'll check the thickness tonight.

beeb

I'll shoot you a PM, definitely the heavier spring will be the go and @beeb's is an SLS so he should sell it to someone else on Facebook for heaps ;) I'll ask @Dales Cannon about the shim, I reckon 32 ID 36 OD and I'll check the thickness tonight.
It's been returned to my "Never know, might need it one day" pile... :p

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
So have had an offer of a spring that is 650 and will fit without shims, I'll give that a go.
Hey mate,
No problem at all, just found this kid selling a shock and spring on Facebook. Shock looks like it's the same era and length going by stroke on spring. I've sold him stuff before. If you don't have Facebook i can organise it for you if you want.
Cheers,
Jake

Attachments

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Hey mate,
No problem at all, just found this kid selling a shock and spring on Facebook. Shock looks like it's the same era and length going by stroke on spring. I've sold him stuff before. If you don't have Facebook i can organise it for you if you want.
Cheers,
Jake
Thanks mate, I saw that one, expensive, in Adelaide and says he won't post.