AM Found

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It's that a euphemism?
No no. Mr Kransky and my vacuum penis enlarger The Chamber of Secrets have names.

@Zaf when the Vivid air comes up for its service make sure that they remove some of the redundant seals that are holdovers from the Vivid coil design.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Rather than pollute the Saturn thread I'm going to answer this here.

@Oddjob Story of your life, every time you build a bike some dude with a Nicolai goes and does it better!!!
This may arguably apply to @OCD'R Saturn but you need to start taking your meds again if you think that applies to the Ion.

Due to snapped belts, crappy tyres, chainrings that are too small, busted wheels, Zaf meltdowns etc. I've ridden the Pole way more in its short life then you've ridden you're unreliable POS, despite the head start it had. And even though I have a garage full of bikes, I expect this trend to continue idefinitely.

Q.E.D.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: dh1

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's been problem free (knock wood), but hasn't seen a whole lot of mileage. I added it to Strava to properly log its use, but it is remarkably quieter than the last one, which gave a whirring/rubbing noise through operation. I suspect it was just a manufacturing defect on the belt, and hoping the failure wont be replicable.
That's great to hear but only time will tell I suppose. Belts usually don't like certain chemicals near them, if you drop a bit of coolant on a timing belt or a V belt of a car that belt will usually squeak for most of it's life, you can spray CRC on there or use a wax lube and it goes away for a short period and then returns again.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, run them dry. The only thing the belt got on it was water and dirt.
Also need to be careful with removal of the belt rings and such, you need to use a strap wrench (chain whip doesn't work) to hold them in place while you torque it, can't use the belt. Although, now that I have a broken belt, I can makeshift a belt wrench on the cheap.
I've found even when you lightly degrease under a bonnet of car, shit flies everywhere and you end up with a squeaky belt.

You would want to carefully file off any burrs found on the pulleys but saying that I've removed a few timing belts were people have wedged a screwdriver in the pulley teeth to tighten the retaining nut, belts seem to be pretty resilient to small indentations on the pulleys.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Tear the ears off it so you land with a clear head and don’t make any rash decisions young padawan, I wish you luck

Reactions: Zaf