VIC FOUND

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Ok, to clear up the confusion I'll summarise the situation I have at hand:

• My bike came with full NX/GX eagle drivetrain.
  • I've since installed a M8100 XT derailleur and shifter, which works with everything else Sram but I wanted to switch it all over to Shimano. I figured I'd do it at the same time as new wheels (because this required a new cassette driver too). New wheels are nearly ready, so I've bought an M7100 SLX cassette and chain. I had assumed I could continue to run the current NX cranks with 34t eagle ring.
  • Now I'm seeing lots people online saying my Shimano 12sp chain won't work with the Eagle ring, that it will have chain suck etc.
This leaves me with the options of:
  • Run it all with my NX crankset and eagle ring (run the risk of fucking my new chain, cassette, and having rides ruined by chain suck?).
  • Buying the wolf tooth ring that fits Sram cranks and the Shimano chain (for $130 :rolleyes:).
  • Buying a new XT crankset (for about $230, plus $30 for BB and ~$50 for ring).
At this stage, leaning toward the third option. But just trying to work out the most cost-effective way of getting that done :(

And finally - reason for wanting a 32t is that my new cassette has the 45t big ring rather than the 50t on eagle, so want to go a little smaller on the front to compensate.
I was in your position and bought the absolute black oval hyperglide II direct mount chainring for sram cranks. I run the 45 SLX cassette too but I'm old and we lots of climbing so I went 30t. Mine shifts sweet by the way

Shredden

Knows his goats
I was in your position and bought the absolute black oval hyperglide II direct mount chainring for sram cranks. I run the 45 SLX cassette too but I'm old and we lots of climbing so I went 30t. Mine shifts sweet by the way
The aftermarket ring is tempting as it's easiest by far. But I figure if I do have to start replacing bits i'd rather sell the NX crankset and spend the extra cash to have the full XT setup. Selling NX for and swapping to XT would cost about $100 more than buying an aftermarket ring, which i think is worth it overall

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Ok, to clear up the confusion I'll summarise the situation I have at hand:

• My bike came with full NX/GX eagle drivetrain.
  • I've since installed a M8100 XT derailleur and shifter, which works with everything else Sram but I wanted to switch it all over to Shimano. I figured I'd do it at the same time as new wheels (because this required a new cassette driver too). New wheels are nearly ready, so I've bought an M7100 SLX cassette and chain. I had assumed I could continue to run the current NX cranks with 34t eagle ring.
  • Now I'm seeing lots people online saying my Shimano 12sp chain won't work with the Eagle ring, that it will have chain suck etc.
This leaves me with the options of:
  • Run it all with my NX crankset and eagle ring (run the risk of fucking my new chain, cassette, and having rides ruined by chain suck?).
  • Buying the wolf tooth ring that fits Sram cranks and the Shimano chain (for $130 :rolleyes:).
  • Buying a new XT crankset (for about $230, plus $30 for BB and ~$50 for ring).
At this stage, leaning toward the third option. But just trying to work out the most cost-effective way of getting that done :(

And finally - reason for wanting a 32t is that my new cassette has the 45t big ring rather than the 50t on eagle, so want to go a little smaller on the front to compensate.
Option 4: Run the SRAM chain, it will work you just will not get the full benefits of Shimano 12spd with the shifting.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
The aftermarket ring is tempting as it's easiest by far. But I figure if I do have to start replacing bits i'd rather sell the NX crankset and spend the extra cash to have the full XT setup. Selling NX for and swapping to XT would cost about $100 more than buying an aftermarket ring, which i think is worth it overall
Fair enough. I didn't have the luxury without changing the BB as well and going to DUB. The GX cranks were new so I just stayed with them