Fox 34 forks axle nut

Petero

Likes Dirt
Not me, but my mate was tightening up his kabolt (with a torque wrench) and the axle nut broke loose.

Instead of just the axle nut teeth being rounded or broken the actual teeth on the fork lowers have broken off...

Fox are saying overtightened so not manufacturing fault but a torque wrench was definitely used and the whole crew saw exactly what happened...

Would have though good design would see the axle nut teeth break before the lowers, but the couple of teeth only on the lowers seems pretty poor design in the first place.

Has anyone else had or seen this happen? Mate is now up for $600 for lowers just because a couple of teeth broke..

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That one has to use a torque wrench to install a wheel is ridiculous.

That even then with a torque wrench shit broke is ludicrous.

Fox continues to deliver...

Petero

Likes Dirt
Was the torque wrench calibrated?
Because it should take a shit load of force to sheer those teech
Not calibrated per se, but was only one year old, always wound back and checked against a second wrench.

Sorry but I find the whole torque wrench story a bit unlikely .
It was obviously overtightened.
I would agree if I wasn't there when it happened. It was also done by a person who's own livelihood and others' depends on their precision...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Here's a shot of a white painted lower, much easier to see what's going on.

The lower has three fingers cast into it which prevent the nut from turning.

It's plausible the lower wasn't cast properly and the fingers were weak.

goobags

Likes Dirt
My theory is that the nut was never designed to be torqued up. Look at the design of a 100QR axle and it actually applies very minimal torque to the nut when tightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My theory is that the nut was never designed to be torqued up. Look at the design of a 100QR axle and it actually applies very minimal torque to the nut when tightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fox's own instructions spec 16.9Nm

Yet more reason why you'd never drop big coin on fox in my view in this country. Crap service, crap warranty support. Rockshox, manitou, DVO, even SR Suntour, but not fox.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Well if you were there then , it must be a casting fault.
My 15mm fork is similar but with a camming type lever never had a problem
Must agree needing a torque wrench + 16.9 Nm is ridiculous to do up an axle.
There must be a way to fix it without a new lower = maybe drop a deep nut that can be tightened externally in to replace the castellated one .

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Cheapest non modding option would be a fox qr.

If desperate to keep saving 50g I would almost go as far as trying to solder the nut into the lower...... but have done zero research to determine if even possible.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Cheapest non modding option would be a fox qr.
I was thinking the same. Remove any existing pins and pop and Fox QR in and see how it goes. Can't see why it wouldn't work well provided the QR is long enough.

Those thin pins are a dumb idea executed perfectly. Why they just couldn't put in a recessed hex bolt of something similar to do the same sort of thing is a question. These things should be an easy no brainer.

I have a QR in the shed and I think it is 20mm that I'll donate if it fits. Will get some measurements if interested. The mazes of sizes in the market sure doesn't help.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Over tightened for sure, even the axle nut retaining bolt is rounded. It's always a good idea to torque in a few stages up to the required value, so if that something is wrong you catch it before you strip everything out.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I was thinking the same. Remove any existing pins and pop and Fox QR in and see how it goes. Can't see why it wouldn't work well provided the QR is long enough.

Those thin pins are a dumb idea executed perfectly. Why they just couldn't put in a recessed hex bolt of something similar to do the same sort of thing is a question. These things should be an easy no brainer.

I have a QR in the shed and I think it is 20mm that I'll donate if it fits. Will get some measurements if interested. The mazes of sizes in the market sure doesn't help.
Yep, I've offered to turn up a nut with flats.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Over tightened for sure, even the axle nut retaining bolt is rounded. It's always a good idea to torque in a few stages up to the required value, so if that something is wrong you catch it before you strip everything out.
The axle nut retaining bolt was rounded during the bike shop 'temporary fix'. They basically wedged a bit of rubber between the retaining plate and axle nut then tightened the f.. out of it...

Good pickup Flow Rider. Damage to the cast teeth could well have been before the event you witnessed Petereo
It seems like there would have been some movement before the incident, aka metal fatigue, the torque required to break in a once off incident would be above a little force on a little wrench IMO.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I find it interesting that the vast wealth of this forum (and my google searches) hasn't actually seen this occur before. Will report back on where it goes with fox.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The axle nut retaining bolt was rounded during the bike shop 'temporary fix'. They basically wedged a bit of rubber between the retaining plate and axle nut then tightened the f.. out of it...
A bike shop done that, just wow !!
That's a whole new level of roughness.